Neil Young at Carnegie Hall and Canada*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Efus, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Good lord, that Massey Hall show tonight was magic! Electric connection between Neil and the audience the entire show. Just a very positive spiritual scene from beginning to end. Neil was all smiles all night! And"Pocahontas", oh man! What an awesome surprise! That easily ranks as the number one Neil show I've ever seen. I had a "direct eye contact" moment with Neil that felt like an electric shock. I'll be buzzin' off that one for a long time. What a night!

Also, Diana Krall kicked ass.

2. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I attended the Massey Hall show as well.
    We went down early.
    Neil's bus was out back.
    We hung around for about half an hour and Neil comes out of the back door at the hall.
    Got him to autograph my Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere Cd insert.
    What a thrill and a prized possession for sure.
    The show was amazing.
    Mr Soul and Pocahantis on the organ were standouts for sure.
    I really enjoyed Diana Krall as well.
    She played to the obvious Neil crowd by doing lots of covers.
    Tom Waits Clap Hand
    Jackson's Doctor My Eyes
    Crowded House Don't Dream It's Over
    Zevon's Hasten Down The Wind
    And a couple of Dylan tunes, Every Grain of Sand and Wallflower.
    What a great night
    Glen

Cassius and fourfeathers like this.
  3. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Thanks. I must confess, I briefly considered slugging him back, but then I'd be ejected as well.

It's funny, of all the many, many shows I've been to in my life, from dingy punk clubs to rowdy festivals and everything in between, the one physical confrontation* happens at Carnegie Hall(!) for a 68 year old artist!

* - with the exception of getting stabbed at a Nine Inch Nails show in 1994, but that's another story.

4. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

the harvest moon tour he was playing almost the entire album before it was released. so with more than half the set unfamiliar it made for a lot of bad tension with unruly audiences. These shows, the vibe completely different. except for the two covers, no song newer than 1992.

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I can certainly understanding wanting to cold-cock the guy, but you kept your cool and didn't give any cause for yourself to be ejected. Admirable actions. You might've saved lives by keeping him away from the edge of the baclcony.

6. Here's an interview done backstage before yesterday's show. Warning: it's mostly about oil in Alberta, not music.http://www.cbc.ca/q/

I find it rather funny that Neil has decided he's Canadian again and is talking politics here. CSNY were on a radio show called Rockline back in the 80s. Neil was asked about the current free trade deal being negotiated with the States and he refused to answer because he said he didn't know anything about Canadian politics. Unbelievably, David Crosby was very familiar with the issue and answered the question better than a lot of Canadians could.

7. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Still can't get last night's show out of my mind. The whole night was beautiful, but Neil's cover of "Changes" was a stunningly gorgeous performance.

What a way to start 2014! It's only the second week of January, but my prestigious "concert of the year" award may already be wrapped up.

kevywevy, GetHappy!! and gkella like this.
  8. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Neil's Q interview is airing right now and I'm listening in my kitchen. Awesome interview about the reasons behind this tour.

9. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Last night around midnight I ran into a nice young couple on the subway train home who I overheard talking about the show.
    I asked them to give me their full review. The fella was a real die-hard fan and he absolutely loved the show (as did his lovely girlfriend)
    I thanked them and wished them well from one fan to another.
    We have a lot of great music people in Toronto!
    Sounds like all who were there got a real treat!
    (and I had a feeling Diana Krall would be really good as well as she knows how to play a particular room and she is a very serious talent in her own right)

10. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

looks like audience recordings are already out there. wasting no time in this digital age.

12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I hope they lay a bit of extra security on on the night once Neil's tour hits Calgary later this week...Calgary is a big time oil town, and Neil's comments have p-ssed quite a few Albertans off (not me, though; I agree with every word he said). At the very least, I can see protests outside the venue in Cowtown...personally I think it's hilarious how the remarks of some old hippie rock star have so many peoples' panties in a bunch:laugh:

kevywevy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.