Neil Young Harvest Moon 2XLP Reissue for Record Store Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I've got a bit of "chorus distortion" on my copy as well.
    While it shouldn't be there, I still think this sounds much better than the CD.
    Perhaps those who find these few seconds of distortion overpower the rest of the music should return the album in the hope the forthcoming general release solves the issue.

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

[​IMG]

first spin

Tuna82, Neonbeam, Matt Starr and 6 others like this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Only got through “Unknown Legend” and “From Hank To Hendrix” before my girlfriend came in and I had to turn it off to go do something.

Definitely heard the distortion on “Unknown Legend” twice during the chorus on my copy. Even spin-cleaned it first.

4. Gethan Wall

Gethan Wall Agent Provocateur

Such a shame. I have spun mine now three times as I can't get enough of it. No distortion on mine whatsoever and I have had problems in the past before, especially on the RSD of Decade which was full of non fill. I guess I am a due a perfect copy of vinyl.

5. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Man, I have never seen so much debris come out of a new record. Cleaned twice and still getting build up on my stylus. :eek:

6. Sgt Pepper

The sound quality is fantastic though.

7. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Bring on Ragged Glory and Mirrorball!!!

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I was a wee late to the party on this one. Local shop had two copies near Boston and I kick myself for not taking a dupe, but that's karma for you. Someone should be stoked to find one like I did. Hording takes away hope.

Packaging is really good. No build up or distortion at all and I'm really pushing my EL 34 tubes on this. I believe some of you have some real problems but this record was done superb for a 90g pair of slabs with side 4 being etched. I hope some of you took those rotten thick paper sleeves and replaced them immediately. Boy, they're rough.

Chris cut this one very well. It was a rush job in some ways, but in others, it has real charmer for a hard to find reissue of Neil's Moon. For those who have less than stellar experience on it, something's wrong, and I'll bet easy that it ain't the product.

9. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Add me to the list of people who get distortion on parts of "Unknown Legend". It doesn't render the song unlistenable but it's there. I looked closely at the LP under lights and I don't see any non-fill. I tried it on two different turntables; same result. The rest of the LP sounds great though.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I think it (backing vocals distortion) has to be a mastering issue that some equipment shows up and some doesn’t. There are too many people reporting it with different equipment to put it down to one person’s system.

monte4 likes this.
  11. Sgt Pepper

Could be down to different pressing runs?

12. mjw

mjw New Member

just joined the forum....bought this album and last minute or so of such a woman skips and won't move forward. took it back to local shop and got another copy. second copy is doing the exact same thing in the exact same spot! anyone have any ideas why and if I should just return it. i used my carbon brush to remove dust etc. and still skipping. thanks for your help.

13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I just played my copy. The vinyl is pretty quiet, save for a couple of short samples of non-fill, and a few revolutions of a repetitive tick. Pretty minor, though.

Tonally, the album sounds good and is well-balanced. The top end almost seems a bit rolled off in an effort to make it warmer. The bottom end also seems a bit truncated. As another poster pointed out, the Harvest Moon cuts on the Greatest Hits (cut using the One-Step lacquer process) is bigger and more dynamic. Still, this sounds very good, and aside from the meandering final cut, is a really strong album, musically speaking.

c-eling and mick_sh like this.
  14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Could be they cut the backing vocals with a tube mic and the distortion was printed on the track. Does it sound like analog distortion or digital clipping?

15. If you post your system information, it could be helpful in troubleshooting you're problem. But, based on what you describe, my guess would be a tone arm set up issue.

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  16. mjw

mjw New Member

Rega planar 1 with bias 2 cartridge. Never had issues of any kind other than this. Thanks for your help....

17. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

That should be easy enough to determine by listening to the cd. I was horrified by the sound of “Tell Me Why” on the NYA reissue of After The Gold Rush until I compared to the old cd and discovered it always sounded that way and I just hadn’t noticed before :magoo:

Leviethan and c-eling like this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

On the compact disc, distortion. There's only a couple spots where the song actually hits 0, I didn't hear anything resembling digital clipping. I'm thinking it's in the recording...

19. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Two words

David

Geffen

20. Sgt Pepper

This one beats me, strange how some on here can hear distortion and some can't. Does anyone know if different pressing plants were used?

21. Leviethan

Yeah. That's funny. They recorded digitally, likely to avoid analog distortion and noise. Yet there it is, printed at CD resolution. It's strange that they didn't notice that while tracking and/or mixing.

c-eling likes this.
  22. Sgt Pepper

No distortion in mine, as i have said.

23. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Neil didn’t notice because it wasn’t recorded at 24/192, Pono quality. If it were, he would have noticed. It’s only at 16/44.1, lacking all soul and lacking the ability to pick up on clipping.

JasonA likes this.
  24. Leviethan

I was responding to someone who heard the distortion on the CD, which would mean it's in the recording (or at least on whatever they mastered from). I haven't heard it yet, so I can't comment.

25. Leviethan

So you're saying the human soul resonates at 192,000 khz, in 24 bit word lengths? Sounds legit to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.