Neil Young Harvest Moon 2XLP Reissue for Record Store Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This Notes For You and Freedom were back on Reprise! So they aren't doing this in any order.

Spadeygrove and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Hey, that Beatles Astro looks amazing! Is that custom made or an official product?????

3. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Ragged Glory and Weld too. I would gladly pay for a three-sided Chris Bellman Ragged Glory.

4. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I'm sure the last thing Neil wants is to fight with Geffen again and give him a nickel

5. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Yes.

Leviethan likes this.
  6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Non-fill isn't always visible.

7. Papa Montgomery

Papa Montgomery Forum Resident

I also detected some distortion on the backing vocals on "Unknown Legend". Nothing too major or overpowering in my opinion but there was definitely something. I also detected a hint of sibilance on Neil's vocals on side A (did not have time to check out sides B and C yet). This could very well be an equipment issue as I'm using a very "meat & potatoes" basic set up of Technics SL-1200 fitted with an Ortofon DJ E cartridge. I did a quick comparison with my original German copy of Harvest Moon and interestingly I did not detect any distortion or sibilance on that one. My copy of the reissue was extremely quiet whereas on the original there is definitely some surface noise present, at least on my copy...overall I'd say the reissue sounded very cool!

8. twister

twister Forum Resident

I only discovered this board a couple of days ago and have really enjoyed dipping into some of the topics on here.

Any way I managed to get a copy of Harvest Moon today and have to say the sound quality is great though I have to wonder where they package these things (a dog groomers by the looks of it considering the amount of hair and dust on a brand new album)

One question, my album has no inner insert with any information on it, is this the case with this black Friday release or has the record shop forgot to insert it.

9. AnalogJ

Double-check the two insides of each jacket. The insert is not LP size (it's smaller).

10. Woodhill78

Woodhill78 Forum Resident

I got a clean copy with no issues ,and it sounds really good.

Gethan Wall likes this.
  11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Grabbed this Friday, some thoughts:

Sound: 16/44 is what it is. The recording isn't terrible and on the surface it's an enjoyable listen. The recording is spare and the quality of this album shines through. Drummond's bass is a standout, as is Neil's harp playing. Due to the low res master it lacks the depth, decay and body. Curiously the man seems to understand just what a devil's bargain he'd made "I heard a perfect echo die
    Into an anonymous wall of digital sound"

Pressing quality: One of the nicest pressing I've seen all year. Perfectly dead flat, high gloss. LP plays with 0 SN except for one track on my copy : War of Man has a few pieces of surface noise 3-4 seconds sprinkled throughout the first few minutes. I had none of the non-fill issues that have plagued recent NY releases the past few years. Overall very stoked, this one plays quieter than 99% of all modern pressings save for the one track I mentioned. Lastly the question of distortion. I had zero distortion on any of the vocals on my copy. This thing was recorded a hair away from hot, in a unforgiving format, and when the girls start wailing it will test your cart. My guess is any mis-tracking you hear is related to your rig and how it's set up. I listened intently in the peak of his harp solos and the chorus vocals, and again there was no distortion on my system. The title cut was recorded with a bit of congestion, and all the instruments aren't perfectly articulated, but in listening this is clearly what was printed to digital tape back when this was recorded.

Bottom Line: I haven't had a chance to A-B the cuts that overall with the one step Greatest Hits LP from Classic, but I can absolutely say this music sounded better than the 25 years I've spent with the CD. It's an essential album and grows in stature on this high quality presentation.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Easy-E, Bryce, Leviethan and 15 others like this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I was in a local record store at lunch and they had a few copies of Harvest Moon left...I caved and bought one. $32.00 which was a tad better than what Sunrise Records was charging. I also nabbed a minty Bob Dylan Blood On The Tracks UK pressing. Can't wait to get these puppies home!

Bryce likes this.
  13. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

I knew I'd be away for RSD so I bit the bullet and ordered one from some store just out of town that was selling a copy online. Meant I overpaid for sure, but I figured, well, at least I'll have a copy. Supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but yesterday I walked past my local store - where I have a credit, no less - and saw a bunch of copies on the wall. *sigh* The things we do for love, right?

purple-lazy likes this.
  14. Vinyl Fan 1973

What are they selling for in Toronto?

15. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

Don't know - I just passed them in the window, didn't go in.

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

ok thanks, well at least you got a copy, that's the important part.

17. twister

twister Forum Resident

Thanks AnalogJ unfortunately nothing there, I phoned the independent record store (Spillers Records) who are always great and they said they would get back to me.

Thanks for your reply.

18. teag

teag Forum Resident

This LP is shown in the new Music Direct catalog as a 2 LP set for $24.99, although it is not listed online yet.

So there is very good reason to believe this one will be handled just like the Decade release from the prior Record Store Day and will be available soon. No reason to panic and pay too much right now.

Decade is available on Amazon for Prime members for $20.72 right now.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Myke likes this.
  19. AnalogJ

jgrillo, Myke and Johan1880 like this.
  20. That's one of the albums that Neil used to sell with the Neil Young special add on tax included :tiphat: I'd personally spring for Decade over that single disc LP. Decade sound fantastic too.

21. AnalogJ

It's not a single disc. I'm not sure to what you're referring. Check out the link.

It's 2-LPs plus a 7" double-sided single, all done with the One-Step process. It blows Decade out of the water for sheer musical and sonic impact.

Myke likes this.
  22. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i passed on this as i have most of these songs on their proper albums, but i never checked out the specs until just now ….

this, from the US pressing …..

Neil Young - Greatest Hits

"Cut from compiled 30ips analog master tapes prepared by John Nowland at Neil Young's Redwood Ranch Studios and mastered at Bernie Grundman Mastering. The Reprise reissue is pressed on 180 gram vinyl."

wow.

i'm guessing decade would have tripled in price had they gone this route (to recreate this album from the analog mix masters) ….. it does sound good for hi-rez digital to vinyl tho ….. (i picked up decade for LP1)

AnalogJ likes this.
  23. AnalogJ

And if you go to Neil's site and drill down, you'll find the full description and explanation for the One Step process. You don't expect an audiophile from the likes of him.

polchik likes this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is this the one that came out several years ago or a new version? I bought it when released and thought it was fine but the tracks sounded better on the original albums ( nothing unusual there).

25. AnalogJ

This one came out on Classic Records originally. It has been pressed via Reprise. Make sure we're talkng the same thing. 2 LPs plus 7".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.