Neil Young Harvest Moon 2XLP Reissue for Record Store Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Good to know. Listening to my Reprise right now...another Bellman work of art.

Cassius and teag like this.
  2. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Just finished spinning mine. A perfect pressing - no distortion, no nofill, no pops/clicks. And sounds better than it has any right to, considering the source.
    I can safely part with my original now.

I admit to not having listened to this LP for many years, and like it more than I remembered. The lyrics, which I earlier felt were simplistic and inartful, now seem simply evocative. Except for Natural Beauty. Still can't get behind that one.

Cassius likes this.
  3. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

I don't dislike Natural Beauty as much as many folks in here seem to, but it is not one of my favorites either. That said, it's one of the biggest ear worms of my adult life. I regularly find myself absent-mindedly singing the chorus. Even if I've not heard it in months.

Arkoffs and Jack like this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Incredible, I swapped out cartridges and now the distortion in Unknown legend is completely gone! Perhaps my Ortofon was more worn than I thought.

5. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

This version slays the German original.

6. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Chris Bellman is a Neil Young whisperer as far as I’m concerned.

Arkoffs, polchik, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  7. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I’ve got some sn on War of Man as well. My biggest gripe about this reissue is that they didn’t place the vinyl in polylined inners. These people should know better.

I’m not getting any distortion either.

Cassius and Erik B. like this.
  8. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

I’ve got the sn on War Of Man as well. Sounds a little like paper ripping or something similar. It’s a unique sound I’ve learned to associate with non-fill.

I think @Cassius has this too.

Mine has about 5 or 6 quick, sharp instances. Are they short bursts of sn or more constant for you gentlemen?

Arkoffs likes this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm wondering if there will be a difference between the RSD pressing and what will be released in a few weeks. Perhaps no side 4 etching?

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

There will be a miniscule difference in the art on the jacket. So tiny, only the most obsessive will be able to find it. Collector's should be prepared to buy a second copy of this, due to it's rarity.

:winkgrin:

11. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I'm in the UK and picked this up from an Amazon 3rd part seller for £25. It arrived yesterday and I sat down with a Friday night pint to enjoy.

It's always been my favourite Neil Young album (and I'm making no apologies for that!)

Man alive, it's incredible. When I first dropped the stylus, I thought I'd got the amp on the wrong input because there was just no sound at all. But no - the vinyl was just that incredibly quiet - which this music really benefits from.

Absolutely no distortion anywhere on mine, which I had really been worried about having read previous posts, because I've never really got my AT 150MLX/Jelco 750 on an old Technics SL1200 properly set up (according to test records, at least).

It's pretty much as close as my record player has ever come to making it sound like an artist was in my room. Brilliant.

Why can't all records be like this?

12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This post just made me laugh:laugh:

Because of your emphasis on "German", was there even another pressing in 1992?

Any. Way. After selling the..... German original multiple times because I thought I didn't like the album enough to justify having a 100€+ version of it, I finally bought the RSD version. Feels good to finally have it for good. But I've yet to play it.

Bryce likes this.
  13. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

I can’t seem to find anything on the interwebs confirming there will be a regular issue of this. Am I not looking in the right place?

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

No confirmation but the "Release type: 'RSD First' Release" category. Albums like that usually get a regular release later. Even if that could take some time, see "Brave New World".

Adam Bosman likes this.
  15. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Try Sound Stage Direct. It was listed as a preorder in an email they sent me yesterday along with the black vinyl Dave Mathews set.

16. Whats wrong with Natural Beauty? I adore that song; am i missing something? Am i being naive, any song that supports good causes and sung beautifully is cool by me.

purple-lazy likes this.
  17. I only have an original cd version of this great album. Mine sounds great but having read this thread i will see if i can identify any issues as described above. I will report back

18. I only have the original cd. Just played Unknown twice and i cant detect any distortion. I have good ears and my rig is ok so i guess the distortion you are experiencing is in the Vinyl and not the original master. I have to admit that i have not ever heard another version of this album so the sound is all i am used to and perhaps what i hear is distortion, but not to my ears. If it bugs you that much, it might be worth swapping it? Good luck

Jack and c-eling like this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

On my home system I get it in the high registers of chorus on the old disc, it's not terrible by any means, I just notice it.
    But if some people are reporting not hearing it on the new lp, that's great. I've yet to track one down for a good price. If reports are true, maybe I'll wait till Amazon stocks the non RSD

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  20. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

unfortunatly my shop already sold out on Harvest Moon. And even if they still had copies in stock - they dont replace Record Store day vinyl. That means I'll have to stick with what I bought ... :/ Same thing happened last RSD with the Decade Vinyl. LP1 and LP3 played very well, LP2 is full of nun fill, pops and surface noise - and the shop didnt want to replace my copy. I'm sick of getting treated like an idiot while buying high priced vinyl items.

21. How bloody annoying; i feel your pain. I think i have learnt one thing from your post, i will avoid RSD releases. I hate being mugged. I will stick with the cd, it sounds fine to me. Sorry to hear of your lousy experiences

22. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It’s one of my favourite from this album. Beautiful track.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Decade is available as a standard release now so you could buy another copy. Same is likely for Harvest Moon in a few months. Fortunately my copies were fine and I had luck with other RSD releases in April though a very limited Marianne Faithfull release had some non-fill sounds.

24. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

You should go to another shop or ask for a visual inspection prior to buying -which they likely will not allow-.

25. Return it and wait for the regular release coming soon. I saw one of the online retailers already Post it for Precorders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.