Neil Young Harvest Moon 2XLP Reissue for Record Store Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

The problem is that the discs are put in those types of inner sleeves in the first place! Trying to get the discs out without touching the sides of the harsh paper/card can be a tricky operation at times. I will concede though that modern vinyl pressings seem far easier to remove from harsh inner sleeves without rubbing the surfaces against the sleeves. Time was, say back in the 70s and 80s that new records were laden with static and impossible to remove without ‘rub’ damage. Not a problem though with U.S. vinyl due to the different vinyl formulation, i.e. harder vinyl. I am amazed that you’ve never seen inner sleeve damage from harsh sleeves? It may not affect play but it is there, I can assure you. It is less of a problem now though, I think.

Back to Neil Young, Warner/Rhino should have provided polylined inners for a €38/€50 Release?

2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Great thread! I'll probably pick this up but do own the original vinyl which I paid around $100 for. I think the original sounds incredible and does beat the CD although admittedly the CD also sounds fantastic. I maybe only saw a few comments on here with comparisons of the original vinyl to this new one so if anyone else wants to comment on that it would be good information. I will try and A/B them after I pick up the new one. I wish they simply spread it to 4 sides but 3 should hopefully be a slight improvement. Honestly with a good as the original recording was I expect any increase in sound quality to be minimal at best.

Cassius likes this.
  3. teag

teag Forum Resident

I see the album is now available on Music Direct, AP and Soundstage for pre order at $24.99.

4. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

Curious if anything will be different about RSD release and the one available for pre order

5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

A sticker on the cellophane?

joelee, Mazzy and teag like this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

That and it will cost less than the resales since RSD.

7. Andy-s

Andy-s New Member

anyone else got a problem with this release ? i'm hearing quite a bit of distortion in some louder parts

8. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Yep. I returned a copy I bought from Banquet after reading about the issues on several tracks and having exactly the same problems. Mainly Side 1, it should be said, but sufficiently annoying.

9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

What was the outcome? Did you end up with a distortion free LP? I just got my RSD copy and I do have the distortion on the chorus of Unknown Legend.

That’s the only track I have issue with BTW. The rest sounds fabulous.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  10. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

I just took a refund. I had further issues towards the end of side 1 and figured I’d leave it and try again in a feel months. Can’t see there being copies out there that my setup will be ok with based on various comments about the problem.

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It is only £25 at Diverse Vinyl in UK. That is about normal for a double LP. The recent NY titles on 140 gram vinyl have been more sensibly priced than previously. On modern pressings I have not found a consistent relationship re hard inners v scratched vinyl. I have found some of the thin shiny paper unlined inners stick like glue to the record over the years. Only once did I damage a disc on removal and that got returned. Inserting a Nagaoka inner between each side of disc and sleeve using a ruler or strip of cardboard has enabled safe extraction.

bibijeebies likes this.
  12. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

In my experience only the Ariola-Eurodisc Germany elpees with printed inners from way back when vinyl still ruled were impossible to get out without hairlines etcetera. They were indeed static and sticked to the innersleeve like Trump to Twitter.

13. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Absolutely agree! I remember getting a Roseanne Cash album from a U.K. dealer and it was exactly as you describe. It was a German Ariola pressing. It is in shocking condition and was like that from new. I think Ariola had a pressing plant in Munich if I am not mistaken.

bibijeebies likes this.
  14. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Yes indeed Munich (or München in German). Unlike WEA Germany they refused to use polylined printed inners.

15. Brian roth

Brian roth Member

Finally had the time to do a little comparison of this LP with the original release as well as the master tapes. Overall I think they did a fantastic job with this release. Compared to the original Croatia release I have it is much more open and detailed and the vinyl is so quiet. I also do not have the distortion on the louder passages some people have heard. I have a Teac 300 turntable and the rest of the chain is DYI tube. I have the original master tapes of this album and of course they are amazing as well and I would say a touch warmer. A friend of mine bought a counterfeit of this off of Ebay last year. I warned him. Awful!

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

You have the original master tapes?

AnalogJ and iloveguitars like this.
  17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’m glad you allowed Bernie Grundman mastering the access to some of Neil Young’s master tapes. Do you have any others in your personal vault? :shh:

18. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

If anyone in the Glasgow area is looking for a copy, it's back in stock at Monorail at £24.99 ...

19. That's one hell of an autocorrect!

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  20. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Just had the opportunity to play my copy yesterday. I must admit I never heard this title start to finish until now. Really love how this sounds. Instruments really breathe.

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

So are there copies without the distortion on the chorus to Unknown Legend? My RSD copy has it, played on RP6 w/Exact.

Album sounds gorgeous overall, just wondering if there is better out there.

23. Has anyone picked up the non-RSD release of this?

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Which version are you referring to? The 1992 one? Other than that, the only other version I'm aware of is the RSD one, EU and US are the same on that one.

The 2018 version on Amazon looks to have the same UPC, did they eliminate the etching on the 4th side or what is different about it...Some of these limited RSD versions get confusing at times when they get re-released.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  25. The 2018 one is what I mean - the general release which came after RSD. I've seen them for sale on some sites but some, like Amazon, state a February 23 release date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.