Neil Young Harvest Moon 2XLP Reissue for Record Store Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

This is a tough one. I only want so much Neil Young in my collection but really like this one. However, there is so much great sounding records in his catalogue other than this. Maybe I’ll prioritise Tonights the night and Rust Never Sleeps. I already have about 7 of his albums and I’m not one for accumulating huge amounts for one artist, I prefer to get more of a mix especially as I can only envisage collecting 1,500 records max. Sometimes you got to prioritise...

picassoson likes this.
  2. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

All digital records from that period sound weird/harsh on my system, Trinity Sessions included, the worst I have is this one

[​IMG]

picassoson likes this.
  3. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

It may be a case of system dependant, but I don't find either LP bright or harsh sounding. I do agree that Ragged Glory sounds a bit weird but not in the same way as you. My vinyl copy of Ragged Glory sounds anything but harsh. In fact it could do with more oomph and sparkle as it's been mastered very quiet and needs the volume cranked right up to get the full works. At normal volume it sounds dull and lifeless. I think a lot of people may well prefer the CD.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    picassoson likes this.
  4. I've always enjoy the Harvest Moon CD. It sounds great to me so not sure what others are hearing in it. I used to play this album constantly. Will definitely pick this up on vinyl.

Fishoutofwater and keiron99 like this.
  5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I think a 2LP "Ragged Glory" release with Spook as a bonus track would be a great idea.

Spadeygrove and Graham like this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I had some issues with the chorus parts on H->H and Unknown Legend, almost audible distortion. Microphone's in the red...

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haha, if you like this why be dogmatic? Like Dylan, Young is tough to boil down to just a couple of albums. But: I don't think any of his 90's album touches "Tonight's The Night". If you have 7 NY album you should make "Tonight's The Night" your 8th:wave:

rollo5 and richbdd01 like this.
  8. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

If anybody gets a hold of this thing, please post pics.

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'd say you can't ignore "Rust Never Sleeps". I know this fight will go on and on... but without "Rust Never Sleeps" you don't have Thrasher. And without Thrasher... your life isn't complete.

10. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I need this but am in Australia. If anyone has a link where I can buy it for retail price it’d be much appreciated!

11. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

It's an RSD First release so it should be available in most places within the next few months.

ego1jr and jumpinjulian like this.
  12. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Yeah, but then it probably does not sound as good as the CD. I had one once (sold it), and it was nothing to be impressed with. The new one is a 2 LP set, which makes a lot more sense than the original 1 LP set.

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Weeeeell, back in the day a 1 LP set was better than no vinyl at all but you R right: It's long enough to warrant a double set.

But I guess the very early 90's were just not the age of the double vinyl album. There were many of these things around 1987/8 and then again from 1994 onwards but off the top of my head I can't think of many double albums from the early 90's. Apart from the obligatory "Use Your Illusions":goodie: I guess it was then that they realised that vinyl wouldn't go away as soon as they had planned.

Nightswimmer likes this.
  14. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

Here are a few pics of the reissue. Found them on eBay. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

e.s., FashionBoy, wwright and 6 others like this.
  15. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The only other double I can think of from 1994 is "Voodoo Lounge" by the Stones.

Spadeygrove and Neonbeam like this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Surprisingly I find the vinyl slightly better than the CD. Both are sort of thin and slightly bright sounding from memory.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Double vinyl releases from single CD started around 1993. (Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream - probably others)

vudicus likes this.
  18. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

"Wildflowers" by Tom Petty was a double, albeit housed in a single jacket.

Rockinrob likes this.
  19. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

The all analog repress of Tonights The Night that came out last year is amazing and I highly recommend it. I love Rust Never Sleeps also as it contains songs from the "ditch era" so you can't go wrong there. On The Beach and Zuma are also must haves.

richbdd01 and Spadeygrove like this.
  20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yeah already have On the Beach, I would say it’s my favourite Neil Young album :righton:

21. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Any news on this reissue? I always wanted this record on vinyl but i don`t want to fall in a bad RSD product.

22. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Found this on Discogs
    Neil Young - Harvest Moon
    Notes
    A Record Store Day Black Friday release.
    Gatefold sleeve. Includes a printed insert with lyrics, artwork and credits.
    The D side has an etching of the album cover artwork.

Sticker: "First Time On Vinyl In The U.S."
    Sticker: "Record Store Day Exclusive"

Reprise Records, A Warner Music Group Company, 3300 Warner Blvd., Burbank, CA 91505-4694; 1633 Broadway, New York, NY 10019-6708. © 1992, 2017 Reprise Records for the U.S. and WEA International Inc. for the world outside the U.S. ℗ 2017 Reprise Records for the U.S. and WEA International Inc. for the world outside the U.S. Printed in Canada.

Source: Mastered from 44/16 digital

A1 to B1, B3, C1: © 1992 Silver Fiddle Music ASCAP
    B2: © 1987 Silver Fiddle Music ASCAP
    C2, C3: © 1989 Silver Fiddle Music ASCAP

"Such A Woman" strings recorded at Sunset Sound, Hollywood

"Natural Beauty"
    Live performance recorded at Civic Auditorium, Portland, Organ
    Additional recording at Redwood Digital, Woodwide, California
    Contains an excerpt from 'A Month In The Brazilian Rainforest' (RCD 30180) "Dawn Chorus" ℗ 1990 Rykodisc - Recorded by Ruth Happel

Recorded and mixed at Redwood Digital, Woodwise, California

Vinyl mastering [...] at Bernie Grundman Mastering

Track durations differ between the insert and the labels. The times from the labels were used above.

c-eling and matt79rome89 like this.
  23. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Since Rust Never Sleeps comes up frequently in a NY conversation, I thought some of you might like this shot of Neil at William & Mary, 1978, on that Rust tour.

[​IMG]

One of the few times I had really good, up front seats. One hell of a show, too.

24. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Great shot. Thanks for sharing.

Galactus2 likes this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I give em credit for being honest on the source.

footlooseman and patient_ot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.