Neil Young - Hitchhiker - new Archives (studio?) release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Apr 23, 2017.

1. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

The download that I received from Warner Music after ordering the LP was 320kbps.

Lecords likes this.
  2. Strontian

Strontian Forum Resident

I can confirm 320 MP3 from Warner bros uk. Still better than nothing in bricks and mortar store.

FourWalledWorld and Lecords like this.
  3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Particularly when the trip to Australia due for earlier this year was cancelled supposedly because of medical concerns...

4. purple-lazy

purple-lazy Forum Resident

It is 320 kbps mp3. I guess Hitchhiker will show up soon in Hi-Res on the Warner site though. As a separate item from the vinyl.

Lecords likes this.
  5. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

In my mind, the is the absolute best version of "Powderfinger".

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Powderfinger:

6. teag

teag Forum Resident

According to the book Shakey, Live Rust and Never Sleeps have the exact same version. I just read it today as I am following the book as I rebuy the remasters. I plan to do an A/B to verify!

7. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Huh? As if an A/B is even necessary...completely different vocal, guitar solos, performance...the Rust Never Sleeps version just sounds more anemic. Sorry, but it's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. The Shakey book just lost all credibility.

8. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I thought that rumour was debunked? I read recently (here maybe) it was to concentrate on the Archives.

9. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Wonder if he meant the Rust Never Sleeps film. According to Ghosts on the Road, the Live Rust version comes from the Cow Palace show on October 22, 1978, the entirety of which is also documented in the Rust Never Sleeps film. The Rust Never Sleeps album version, however, comes from the Denver show on October 19, 1978.

But if Ghosts on the Road is to be trusted, "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" is supposedly the same version on the Rust Never Sleeps album, the Rust Never Sleeps film, AND Live Rust! That's probably worth A/B'ing.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  10. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Oh okay...well then I would concur with live rust and the film...absolutely, but I thought that was just a given. I always thought of live rust as the soundtrack to the film.

11. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Except that Shakey does not in fact say that.

The book does point out that the version of Into The Black is the same version on both releases (with door-slam overdubs on RNS), which is accurate. It is also the same version on the RNS film.

ExHead and Rockinrob like this.
  12. RoyalPineapple

The versions from the film are all from the Cow Palace gig, whereas the Live Rust album is a compilation from various shows.

This is correct.

13. RoyalPineapple

Interesting that you are curious about the specifics of where RNS was recorded (even enough to do an A/B test), but a similar discussion about the recording date of Hitchhiker has attracted your contempt and dismissal.

Regardless, your comment about Shakey is inaccurate.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Rockinrob and Darrin L. like this.
  14. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I know u guys will say both, and I'll get there, but which one is the most essential: Live Rust or Rust Never Sleeps?

15. teag

teag Forum Resident

You are right - my mistake! It's actually Into the Black which is the same according to the book. Sorry about that.

16. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes, isn't that interesting? Thanks for all the attention!!

JoeRockhead and RoyalPineapple like this.
  17. RoyalPineapple

In my opinion the Cow Palace take of Powderfinger (featured on both Live Rust and the Rust Never Sleeps film) is more exciting than the version on the RNS album.

And overall I think the Rust Never Sleeps film (exclusively from the Cow Palace) is superior to Live Rust (a compilation of various venues, including Cow Palace).

In particular, the magnificent Like A Hurricane from the film is far more impressive than the version from album, which ends prematurely due to Neil's guitar going out of tune. Presumably this short Live Rust take was chosen due to time constraints on vinyl, rather than because it was considered to be a particularly good version.

18. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

Start with Rust Never Sleeps.

Despite the similar appearance, they are very different albums. Rust is an album, and is a fantastic one - easily Neil's best, but this is highly debatable and opinionated. It is a compilation of live performances with overdubs and studio recordings from various times and places, in the spirit of most of neil's late 70's stuff. The presentation and track order are important, and it is simply a killer record. Despite some preferring the other released powderfingers, the RNS one will always be the one in the front of my mind. Also, it is very cool to hear the take of Pocahontas, which is the Hitchhiker take with many added overdubs. This album is a case study in how overdubs and extras both add to and delete from songs

Live Rust is currently the only official live documentation of the 2nd crazy horse lineup in the 1970's, and is a great live double album. Although many of the tracks overlap, due to the longer nature of this album and the "greatest hits" vibe, it is very different. I think of this as the kind of summary of the 70's for CH.

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Something from 1976 with CH needs a release. I think it's better than 1978

20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

If you don’t have Rust Never Sleeps you don’t have Thrasher.

And that’s a problem. A big one. Go with RNS first.

ramdom, Cassius, Crispy Rob and 9 others like this.
  21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

If I was forced to choose, I would go with Rust Never Sleeps, no doubt about it.

22. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

"Rust Never Sleeps" is an absolute must-have for any Neil Young fan, if only for "Thrasher" alone. The whole album is sublime.

Cassius, Crispy Rob, Zeki and 4 others like this.
  23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I own the Hitchhiker vinyl. I had to flatten in with the vinyl flat but now spins and plays nicely. Overall I am certainly pleased but might have been hoping for a bit more groundbreaking stuff. Many of these versions are in fact inferior. My favorite tracks are Hawaii, Ride My Llama, Powderfinger, and Captain Kennedy (Hawks and Doves version still much better). Don't get me wrong, it is a good release and I'm glad to own it, I just find the hyperbole on this one to be a bit much. On a side note, Rust Never Sleeps is one of the best Neil records out there and Rust Never Sleeps is good but suffers from 70's live sound production or lack thereof. Both a very different and I much prefer RNS for the beautiful sound. Start to finish a masterpiece.

Boswell likes this.
  24. honzalong

honzalong Forum Resident

Captain Kennedy on Hitchiker and Hawks and Doves is the SAME version :)

25. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

????

Jam757 and Zeki like this.