Neil Young - Hitchhiker - new Archives (studio?) release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Apr 23, 2017.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I have the CD I was just wondering if they did a jewel case version. The reason I asked is because I thought I had read that Neil only released CDs in paper sleeves now. This apparently is not true since I found several of his recent releases in jewel cases just today.

2. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

Finally received my "pre-ordered" Hitchhiker vinyl! What a shambles Warner Music Canada is for customer service. I had to contact them last month as hadn't received anything and hadn't heard from them. At that stage, I was told that a vinyl restock was in transit and would be received imminently.

Fast forward 5 weeks and still nothing - no package and no further updates. So I emailed again and, after almost 2 weeks, they reply on Monday this week to say that the delay is due to the Rust Never Sleeps/Human Highway Blu Ray bundle that I had ordered at the same time to make the shipping costs more bearable. Apparently Human Highway was out of stock and they had no plans to restock it. They said that they could refund the Blu Ray bundle and ship the Hitchhiker (and camping mug!) immediately. I replied to say that was okay.

Today, I received a package with the record, camping mug and the Blu Ray bundle! Obviously I'm happy to have finally got everything but, man, were they frustrating to deal with.

Thankfully, the vinyl looks nice and flat, so hopefully will sound good too. Weirdly the Blu Ray packaging for HH and RNS are different shapes and sizes - HH is regular Blu Ray sized card case and RNS is a CD sized card case. Considering they were released at the same time, you'd have thought they would be the same.

3. setlistthief

setlistthief Forum Resident

I got my vinyl from Amazon yesterday. Very elaborate packaging bu it ensured that the album was in pristine condition-no warping, poster intact, and that nice warm, "like you're in the studio" sound.

Very pleased.

struttincool likes this.
  4. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

does not compute.....:bigeek:

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

when and where did you order this? Amazon US? My third replacement copy has been on back order since 10/6 from Amazon...thanks.

6. setlistthief

setlistthief Forum Resident

I ordered it about a month and a half ago (more or less) from Amazon US. The album came in a cardboard box within a larger cardboard box encased in bubblewrap.

7. nowhereman87

nowhereman87 Forum Resident

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Finally got my replacement, flat and sounds amazing! Back right corner of cover different (sourced from original analog tapes) first two warped copies did not have that wording...of course same transfer, updated cover?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Giorgio and fourfeathers like this.
  9. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Not that wording on my EU copy from date of release too.
    Could you please post here the full matrix numbers/letters on both record sides?

0476pearljam likes this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Side 1 1-560639AREL 19612A CB

Side 2 1-560639BREL 19612B CB

Netherlands...Mono no doubt...also on both labels A and B it also says (sourced from original analog tapes) do not recall that either on my originals, but was a little frustrated over the warps, might not have noticed.

Anyhow, well worth the wait as it truly sounds amazing!

Will be at my local shop very early to snag a copy of Harvest Moon the day after Thanksgiving! Glad I'm friends with the owner, but still have to wait like everyone else. At least I will know what they have in stock.

Giorgio and 0476pearljam like this.
  11. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

My vinyl, EU copy:
    Netherlands ok...Mono agree...on both labels A and B it DOES NOT say (sourced from original analog tapes).

Side 1: 19612 2A 1-560639-A Re 1 CB
    Side 2: 19612 2B 1-560639-B Re 1 CB
    (FYI: according to Discogs, both EU and USA/Canada copies have the same matrix numbers).

With ref. at your matrix: please, if possible, chek well on your inscriptions because I think you have losted a number 2 before letters A/B, and the letter "L" is actually a number "1" on word REL.
    Moreover, the letter "E" on word REL is not written in uppercase but in lower case.

Could you please confirm?

Thanks a lot in advance for your effort!

12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I just got a new copy from Bull Moose yesterday and this is my matrix also. I had a warped copy from BM that I returned but at the time they did not have any copies to replace mine so I had waited till this week to see when they got their re-stock/new presses.

Giorgio likes this.
  13. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

I bought both my EU copies of vinyl and CD on the release day. CD says ”Sourced from analog tapes”, vinyl does not.

[​IMG]

Spadeygrove and Giorgio like this.
  14. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Does your new LP copy have the wording (sourced from original analog tapes) on both record labels and on back cover?

15. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I just got the re-press from Barnes and Noble. Nicely pressed, quiet and good sounding. It does have the "sourced from original tapes" wording on the back cover.

Giorgio likes this.
  16. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

I don't think he's put out anything since Le Noise (2010) in a jewel case.

17. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I think the "sourced from analog tapes" sticker on the vinyl might be a bit misleading.
    People might believe this is an all analog cut, which I doubt it is. All it means is that this was originally recorded on an analog medium.
    If it was cut from the analog tapes it would most likely be advertised as such.

18. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

It wouldn't have been a huge problem for Chris Bellman to cut the lacquer from the analog tape. None at all. Grundman's mastering studio is certainly set up for such operations.
    Having said that...do we really know for sure how the process happened?
    Still sounds great to me.

19. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

yes it does.

Giorgio likes this.
  20. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

"Sourced from analog tapes" does NOT necessarily mean it's an AAA transfer.
    It's a common bit of marketing wordplay to "whitewash" things for those with only fleeting audiophile knowledge.

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ok, I did not post lower case...

yes, 19612 2A 19622 2B yes, sure it is a 1 after Re (had to get the light better on it)

hope this helps...

Giorgio likes this.
  22. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

With the above feedbacks from @scotti and @BlackCircle , I think we can say that, visually speaking, the only difference between first and second pressing is the text in brackets (sourced from original analog tapes).
    The first pressing does not have, on record labels and on back cover, this text.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    scotti likes this.
  23. Chris B

Chris B Forum Resident

Hello all
    Just thought I would clear up some of this speculation……………Hitchhiker was cut from the original 1/4" master tapes.

thanks for listening…………………. CB

laf848, ivor, Gardo and 37 others like this.
  24. Well there you have it - thanks!

25. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

:edthumbs:

scotti likes this.