Neil Young - Hitchhiker - new Archives (studio?) release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Apr 23, 2017.

1. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Playing through this now. It’s really not hard to believe it was done from the analog tapes at all. It was great of CB to confirm this. I can’t believe the label wouldn’t have hyped it up that way more though. It seems like a major selling point to me. This release is a bargain at the price it’s selling for. I would consider it essential at twice the price.

Coricama, lemonade kid, SJR and 2 others like this.
  2. teag

teag Forum Resident

In addition to this one, Neil"s latest remaster releases are all reasonably priced and of very high quality.

Coricama likes this.
  3. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

I just got the vinyl. It is a great pressing and the performance and sound are killer. What a fabulous release.

Vinyl Socks and Coricama like this.
  4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

That's why I questioned the wording. It seems odd that the label wouldn't hype the All Analog cutting as much as possible.
    There are some people who will only buy All Analog vinyl.
    There might also be people that were on the fence about the vinyl but had it been advertised as All Analog, they would have snapped it up.

sonofjim likes this.
  5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

didn't the original pressing sell out? seems like people are buying this fine without some fancy sticker. I think you confuse the real world for this forum.

6. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

No one is saying it didn't sell well.
    We're just surprised that they didn't hype up the All Analog angle. It's an extra selling point.

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

if someone doesn't want to buy this incredible album (that is dirt cheap) just because it doesn't have a sticker on it, too bad for them.

qtrules likes this.
  8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I think you're missing the point.
    Some people won't buy new vinyl is the mastering is the same as the CD. They will buy the vinyl if it has a far greater dynamic range than the CD, or if it's an all analog cut.
    It's not about a sticker, it's about the information that could lead to more sales.

And yes, it is an incredible album.

Pawnmower likes this.
  9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

well, we have the information you seek right here on this thread. case closed.

personally, I think anyone in the market for this is a neil young fan, and has purchased neil young vinyl before. they should know what they're getting as far as quality goes. this release is on par with all the other recent neil young pressings I've purchased.

10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I bought it the week it came out and I agree about the quality.

Kevin j likes this.
  11. teag

teag Forum Resident

Absolutely right.

12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Whether or not my copy is all analog, it sounds lo-fi because of arriving with a surface covered in scratches. The label should be as concerned about adequate packaging and warping as it is about things being all analog. If one hears a constant crackle or wow, the all analog thing becomes redundant.

I know I won’t bother with any more Neil vinyl after this.

budwhite likes this.
  13. That sounds like a pressing plant issue, not a label issue. There's only so much a label can do. I don't know why you wouldn't bother with Neil vinyl after this - he's known for high quality vinyl releases.

lemonade kid and violetvinyl like this.
  14. Six Bachelors

Well, surely the label decides which plant(s) press(es) which records. In any event, there were a bunch of problems with this release. I know Neil is known for high quality vinyl releases, but I doubt that this one fits into that category.

15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve asked this in a couple threads but has anyone recently purchased a decent pressing of Harvest from the Archive reissue series. I’ve just sent back the FOURTH copy because of non-fill issues. The first 3 all had a lot of non-fill on the first track. The 4th record had issues on the first track of side 2. These were all German pressings. Are the current US pressings of it any better?

16. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Website open December 1st!
    Free!!!
    Everything!!!

And a day before my birthday

17. All I know is from being on this forum I don't know that there is a pressing plant out there that hasn't at some point had people on here complaining about their pressings.

coniferouspine and Six String like this.
  18. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Just spun side one yesterday and it was so sibilant and thin sounding, incredibly disappointing — I am assuming this is a pressing issue or is it the recording? Apologize I have not read through the entire thread if this has been discussed.

19. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I'm very sensitive to sibilance and I heard none on my copy that I bought the week it came out.

FashionBoy likes this.
  20. Six Bachelors

That doesn’t mean the complainers are wrong.

Pawnmower and vudicus like this.
  21. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Question for anyone who picked up the CD version; does Hitchhiker include a booklet of any kind?

22. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

kenbefound likes this.
  23. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Just had this delivered. Local shop never had it in. They're closing next month which is a bummer, might account for it. US copy. Sounds fantastic. Been meaning to pick up some of his earlier stuff. Usually get original(ish) copies if I can. Are his re-issues generally considered worth getting over the older versions?

24. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

Yes, very much so and on well pressed, quiet vinyl. Don't hesitate.

25. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve recently bought 10 of the Archive reissues and they’re all excellent, except the current EU pressing of Harvest which suffers with a lot of non-fill (tried 5 copies in the space of 2 weeks from 4 different suppliers and all bad).