Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

Thanks for the summary. I love the 6-string banjo version of Human Highway from that tour. I wish he had played more tunes on that thing.

theMess and Geir like this.
  2. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

It isn't clear if these sorts of tracks will be available for purchase until they are released as a proper album.

3. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Curious - minor detour here - is there a high-quality soundboard version of the JB Tape? Or are they all as crummy-sounding (dodgy SQ, jarring edits) as the nicely-packaged but disappointing “Bernstein Tapes”on silver disk LDR001.

4. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I don't see why they would be. The point is to get people to subscribe to the Archives and having good stuff there exclusively is a way to do it.

5. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I hope soon is soon! Exciting news!

qtrules likes this.
  6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

This is exciting. I’m glad we have confirmation that unreleased music will be made available on the archives that might not necessarily make it to an album. That makes $20 a year a great deal. I just hope I will be able to buy and download the tracks.

footlooseman and James Bennett like this.
  7. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I think a lot of those old soundboards probably sound great from the original 1/4 tapes. The problem with the boots is they come from the cassette someone made from someone else, who left it in their car for two years and made 10 copies on a crappy deck, etc.

It would be cool to have a “bootleg” zone with stuff like that. Like another filing cabinet, haha

footlooseman and jlf like this.
  8. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

I mean if Odeon/Budokan was supposed to be a combination of CH and solo tracks, then it would make sense to say that these tracks would be culled from that album (I guess we'll find that out once that album is released).

Also, I remember there being two unlabeled unreleased albums on the timeline when they opened the Archive (which were removed shortly afterwards), and I'm pretty sure one of them was listed under the year 1976 (since people were speculating it could be an official release of the Bernstein Tape). So these could be from that album.

9. Geir

Geir Forum Resident

Neils voice coupled with the banjo and harmonica is truly a beautiful sound. I think more songs could have been made very interesting with this layout

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Wonder how business is?
    Neil releases one of jewels from the vault and the site isnt up.
    Wonder why they cant block Euro providers, and lets get this thing rolling where theyre licensed.

11. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Probably they have more users in EU than in the USA.

NeilYoungFan likes this.
  12. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

I find that hard to believe, but I have noticed that a preponderance of the most knowledgeable and passionate fans on various sites to be from the other side of the pond...
    NYF

13. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Let's not forget that the EU (or specifically it's legislation) encouraged the release of this beauty.....

[​IMG]

...and many others besides.

Is NY bothered by EU copyright protection legislation, I wonder, because we are at that point now? Does the Archives qualify only if the content is available for download or physically released?

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

The delay with subscriptions doesn't have to do with copyright but with the new EU GDPR legislation concerning privacy of internet users.

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I saw with my popcorn waiting for "Solo Trans" movie night ...

At least I got to have popcorn.

YoungMark and James Bennett like this.
  16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I was so upset I misspelled "sat". :)

davers, jlf, aoxomoxoa and 3 others like this.
  17. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Such a big difference one letter can make. I went from not understanding to full understanding with that one change.

360-12 and RayS like this.
  18. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

No, I realise that, thanks. I was making a comment relating to other EU legislation which may, or may not, affect NY's release schedule, and indicating that EU legislation has been instrumental in some of the great artists of our time making available to us their archive material which otherwise might have stayed in the vault. Sorry if I didn't make that so clear.

19. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Instead of delaying, a poor business decision, get it out there and see how its going to doing, tweak and improve for when the EU comes up.

20. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Crazy Horse Solo 1976 deserves a full release on vinyl /cd. These are among the best recordings of the Neil's career. Although I like NYA, the streaming on NYA is a waste.

Alan57 likes this.
  21. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

I've found myself listening a lot to the NYA. Real fun way to explore the stuff I haven't heard yet. Especially A Treasure and Bluenote Café are two records I've been enjoying a lot the last couple of months and certainly gonna buy the cd's.

I know the NYA is far from perfect and I too have some issues with the inconsistency of the Archives cd's but I can only hope some other big artists are gonna follow Neil's example. One can only dream of a DBA (David Bowie Archives).

sacsongs, qtrules, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  22. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

New post from today says they're about to announce surprise shows, with NYA presale.

James Bennett likes this.
  23. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I do wish they would stop doing announcements of announcements though.

24. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Santa Barbara. 600 seat theater. On-sale now.

Cassius and Heart of Gold like this.
  25. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I can't make this, but glad to see they're warming up for Arroyo Seco, which I will be attending.

footlooseman likes this.