Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It’s only a story relayed by a fan. I haven’t heard the tape if there is one but apparently the Dead said from stage once (or maybe many times), following repeated requests from the crowd to play Dark Star, that they played it in the previous night’s show, might play it in the late show that night, might even play it the following night but were definitely not going to play it in this show. I’m sure Neil could just tell the requesters to come the next night or listen to the album when they get home.

I have never understood audience demands for particular songs. Surely you are paying to see the performer do what he/she/they feel(s) most motivated to do?

Heart of Gold and JoeRockhead like this.
  3. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

"Love ain't looking for perfection...
    love's the answer, love's the question"
    NYF

Boswell likes this.
  4. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

In the 1999 Akron solo acoustic show, I saw him do the best thing for a typically obnoxious situation. A couple joined another couple — late — in the first or second row. They seemed like the type who wanted to say they were there, in the first or second row, rather than be there for the experience itself. They talked upon arrival, much longer and much more necessary given that a one-man show with acoustic instruments had already begun.
    Neil addressed them directly, saying, “I’ll pay you to leave.”

5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

If you go back to the Cincinnati show from 1970 - I think it is before Don’t Let it Bring You Down - after an extended musical intro he finally says “if you two down there just wouldn’t talk to each other I could get into it.”

IIRC this show is on the boot titled Danny By The River.

swedwards1960 likes this.
  6. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Are we sure the paid subscription for the Archives site will ever happen ? (and with it the unlocking of everything and the addition of new and unreleased stuff ?)
    I hope this is not another case of a great project finally not reaching completion. :cry:

YoungMark likes this.
  7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

His label will force him eventually or shut it down

DTK likes this.
  8. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

My point exactly. :sigh: :cry:
    I guess we'll see.

9. NeilYoungFan

I'm on record as saying the subscription portion of the site will launch sometime in the fall (October 15th I believe). At this point in time, I'm highly confident it will launch. It won't be overwhelmingly different than it is now, but there will be some previously un-released stuff and a few other nuggets regarding live-streams, ephemera and a mobile app.

Long term I don't see the site succeeding, but it will be around for a year or two (in my opinion), so let's enjoy it while we can..
    NYF

10. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

Hi all,

In case anyone is remotely interested :), the latest version of my "Unofficial Archive", which among other things catalogues much of Neil's officially unreleased work, is now available in its very latest version with many revisions and new information, on

Neil Young News: Neil Young's Unreleased Songs: The Unofficial Archive - UPDATE Vers. 5.2

Even the NYA Archivist wrote to say "Thanks for sharing your work. It is a tremendous effort!"

And you may also be interested in the Twitter feed on the same subject @ArchiveNeil though most of you will probably know the postings already. It is aimed rather more at the "non-hardcore" fans!

Hope you enjoy working through all 127 pages of the Unofficial Archive!

Best
    Rasselas

11. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Neil is moving to his own label, Shakey Pictures Records, soon. Of course Warner will handle manufactuering and distribution.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  12. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Clearly Warner will still have significantly more invested interest than just manufacturing; otherwise why would they bother?

DTK likes this.
  13. NeilYoungFan

Neil's a legacy artist, but one that sells virtually zero product. Who knows what the next steps will be, but on the face of it for now, Warner has no interest in completely distancing themselves from Neil..
    NYF

14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Virtually Zero Product is the new working title for Archives II.

15. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

TTN Live was released 3 months ago.

Yorick likes this.
  16. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

But I was expecting more product.

17. NeilYoungFan

Neil releases product, it just doesn't sell...
    NYF

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

If he had only released it years ago....

footlooseman and James Bennett like this.
  19. NeilYoungFan

Hey, has anyone logged into the Archives site recently? I hadn't for a while, but I just logged in and there's only been one recent announcement, and it came today:

Looks like Neil is acknowledging he needs Facebook and will likely remain on Facebook!

At least that's my interpretation of his post. Loosely paraphrasing, he's basically saying he doesn't really trust them, but Facebook is where the "gazillion" music fans are, and Facebook offers easy access into the Archives, etc...

I could be wrong, but this seems like the beginning of the "crack" in the Archives concept. Has reality set in even before the incredibly modest pay model is launched?
    NYF

footlooseman likes this.
  20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

No.

Also, I'm no Gort, but veering into discussing the ptos and cons of Facebook is probably a no-go area. I'll just say that I can't recall anything suggesting that the subscription Archives somehow entailed renouncing Facebook as a way to communicate with Neil Young fans.

In general this thread is reminding me of the "Bruce Springsteen — The Candid Discussion," in which "candid" translates as relishing every possible flaw, misstep, dire predictions, and assumptions of unbridled greed and incompetence that supposed fans can come up with.

21. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Music Direct just sent out ads for Hawks and Doves, Reactor and This Notes for You on vinyl from Reprise - what are the chances these are cut from the masters? I’ve always wondered, too, why Neil isn’t on board with the advertising of some of his vinyl, too.

Available Aug24.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  22. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

more ORS releases? that would be sweet!!

23. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Very interesting. I wonder if this signals the end of the box sets. That would be disappointing.

24. NeilYoungFan

Relax. Re: FB, Neil announced he was leaving it prior to the Arvhives; now it seems as if he's changed his mind...

That's all, I hope the Archives is a success.
    NYF

25. Graham

Graham Senior Member

That’s in 2 weeks. Seems a bit soon, but great news nonetheless. Also appears to leapfrog the Geffen years.

FourWalledWorld likes this.