Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Only just yesterday, I was thinking about when we'd see the next batch of reissues. It would be quite a feat if they're released in just 2 weeks.

mestreech likes this.
  2. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Interesting that MusicDirect shows the original pre-lawsuit cover with "The Bluenotes" name still intact.

James Bennett likes this.
  3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

None of these are on Amazon yet but once they’re up, I’m in.

James Bennett likes this.
  4. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

One is on Amazon.ca

Porkpie likes this.
  5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Ok cool, I’m in the UK so hopefully soon

6. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

I hope there will be some updates on September 1st. The wait is getting too long.

James Bennett and Heart of Gold like this.
  7. James Bennett

Launching some exclusive new materials needs to happen very soon— this is getting stale quick.

Pawnmower and klaatuhf like this.
  8. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I just hope they will be in a box like the original release series.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  9. FourWalledWorld

I'm afraid it doesn't look like it. I suppose it's possible we get a box of the Geffen releases at some point but it looks like these few are going to miss out on being collected together.

Also just to note, I searched some UK retailers this morning (still "unavailable" on Amazon) and noticed that the release date is now 31st Aug instead of 24th. I believe it's still the 24th in the US though.

10. Do we think that the Eldorado EP is going to be included in the reissue series?

11. FourWalledWorld

Maybe as a potential RSD release next year for its 30th anniversary? Who knows though.

thewolfshead likes this.
  12. James Bennett

So strange that Neil has zero mention of this new batch of releases on the Archives or his Greedy Hand store.

Archives is becoming a huge snooze fest all of a sudden. This ain’t gonna get it done come subscription time.

GregK and Alan57 like this.
  13. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

The site is basically dormant. Optimistically, I'd say it's because they are working on the mobile app and other dynamic upgrades, but even if true, they're losing sight of any momentum they may have had.

I'm about as die-hard a fan as there is (within reason), and a while back I realized I hadn't logged on to the site in weeks. After logging in, I saw the post about FB and then logged out. Since then, I've logged in two other times for a total of maybe three minutes--I just looked to see if there was anything new in the contrarian newsletter. I had no interest in scrolling the timeline, etc. If anything new has been added, I wouldn't know it because I didn't deem it important enough or fun enough to search for it...

Hey, Archives Team: We need information and something/anything to keep us interested. Right now, it seems as if any momentum has been lost, and in the presence of no news, we will mostly all assume the worst news possible. Please consider this your wake-up call from a friend...
    NYF

mestreech, GregK, klaatuhf and 4 others like this.
  14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Slow poke I'm going to run with you
    Wear your clothes and do what you do
    Slowpoke we got some things to find
    When I was faster I was always behind

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. NeilYoungFan

Hey, just logged in to the archives site after writing my post. In the "contrarian" section there's some format change/reorganization and a new (I believe) Letters to the Editor section...with responses from Neil...
    NYF

YoungMark likes this.
  16. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Actually there's a lot of things to read. Maybe we'll see other things soon.

17. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

The letters to the editor thing is pretty cool.

As for complaining about the archives being dormant - it is an archives! It has all of neil's albums in fantastic quality in one place. I don't go to it daily, but if I feel like listening to some NY at work, it is my go to. I've listened to the new archives releases a bunch of times, and basically all the classic albums at least once or twice over the last couple months. It sounds great, is fun to open up and peruse, and I may end up listening to an album I didn't intend to just from scrolling around.

I don't think it would be good if they just put 1,000 unreleased tracks on there all at once. I do think they should probably up the releases to at least once a quarter rather than the once a year or so schedule they're on now.

I also think they should start putting live shows like springsteen does - this would allow for more volume of new material without being overwhelming or needing to live up to the standard of Hitchhiker or Roxy.

Finally, I suggested to them to add a smart TV app - my tv is hooked up to my stereo through a nice DAC and the site would get used at least twice as much at my house, especially for movie night. I'm assuming a lot of people have home theatres and would also use the site in this manner.

But even without any additional content - it's still the collected works of my all time favorite artist in one place, with photographs and supplemental materials. This summer I was able to get great tickets to two fantastic solo acoustic shows, and could have seen crazy horse if I had the $$$.

18. NeilYoungFan

Pretty spot on. Overall, I just believe that leading up to a pay subscription model there should be something daily/weekly showing us that it is the platform we all need to be a part of. Even yesterday when I noticed the Letters to the Editor, etc, I wouldn't have noticed it just by checking the homepage. The "newspaper" wasn't updated to reflect there was something new...

It's little (big) things like that seem somewhat problematic to me. I'm not saying that volumes of unreleased music needs to be released, but I am saying there needs to be a dynamism of some sort touting what exists, and/or what's new and/or what's coming. For now, I think the Hearse Theater should be up and running every day with some video content, and like with rust radio, there should always be a live audio concert playing from throughout the years. If old live shows were playing, I'd have the site on in the background every day..
    NYF

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

That's a good idea, did you email them? They said they were working on the smart tv app and agreed it was a good platform to be on.

20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

This Note and Reactor are both on Amazon UK for preorder now, £16.80, 31 Aug. No sign of Hawks but will probably appear later today.

Graham likes this.
  21. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Thanks, ordered Reactor and will also be getting Hawks & Doves, but will pass on This Note’s For You. A release in less than two weeks seems unlikely though.

22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I don’t know, I’ve been amazed this year how quickly reissues come out after being announced. I’ve preordered them both anyway so you’re guaranteed the best price. I’ve never owned any of these previously (have streamed them), so looking forward to playing them loud.

Graham likes this.
  23. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I hope Trans gets an Archives release too. It’s the only Geffen-era album I’d want from this reissue series. The good news is - Freedom and Ragged Glory are probably next.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

All three of those are high on my list. I imagine we’re likely to get Trans to tie in with the movie release.

25. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Do we know what's happening with the Toast era Horse recordings, or with the live gig from the Psychedelic Pill tour ?

AZRunner likes this.