Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

We'll even throw in a computer.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, EVOLVIST, DTK and 3 others like this.
  2. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

I just see this venture as the final resting place for Neil's material. Even if I'm wrong (and I could be), it's just $20.00 annually. Even if I only log in to the site once or twice a year, it's still worth supporting the concept. Supportive fans will foster and enthusiastically ensure its growth; a lack thereof will speak equally as loud (or louder) to Neil...

If Neil knocked on my door and asked me for $20.00, I'd give it to him without questions. That's how I feel about the Archives site...

I respect your opinions and don't mean to go 'round and 'round. Something tells me that ultimately we'll both pay the dues and we will both be rewarded and satisfied.
    NYF

Tuck1977, Chris M, Zongadude and 4 others like this.
  3. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Definitely - I haven't meant to suggest that 20 dollars is any way unreasonable. I don't think anyone could claim that.

Take a look at the lengthy discussion on the thread about Bob Dylan's next bootleg series. People know it's coming, so the anticipation is building up momentum. Same with Springsteen; a new archive release every month, regular as clockwork. With Neil, though, people get tired of all these announcements that lead to nothing; projects that start with big promises and then evaporate. It's easy to become somewhat cynical and start anticipating that everything is going to fall short of his initial claims. Perhaps that's something I'm guilty of as much as anybody.

I'm sure I'll support the website but (as a typical British person) I'll continue to do so with a touch of cynical pessimism that will hopefully be rewarded with something surprisingly long-lived! :)

4. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I think once one of the BIG unreleased ones shows up, then we can actually believe this can actually work out. My guess is from the way he's been talking, either Alchemy or Early Daze will show up first after the subscriptions start. Dropping Homegrown would immediately cease many doubts!

Efus, footlooseman and RoyalPineapple like this.
  5. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

If there is one thing that I really want to see come out of this, it's Homegrown. Please.

6. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I’m really enjoying all of these posts about 20 dollar bills but this poor little post that gets lost without a reply seems a much more interesting talking point to me.
    I wonder if he recorded songs like this later on in his career? Either way I really hope they provide info cards for the songs that were never recorded. They could have lyrics if they exist. Or have audio of the archivist interviewing Neil about his recollections of the lost songs, and if he remembers them then he could throw in a modern day recording.

Catbirdman, highway and Jbird like this.
  7. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

Homegrown is on the timeline at the archives, along with a number of other unreleased albums, all are meant to be available eventually.

8. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Even though I’m not wiling to give up on physical media and embrace streaming, I look forward to subscribing. I just hope this doesn’t further diminish the possibility of Archives Vol 2 etc...

Alan57 and footlooseman like this.
  9. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I'm guessing that each Archives release that goes up on the site will also get a physical release. I also have a feeling that there will be no large box Archives 2, which is actually ok with me as long as I can by vinyl copies of the Archives releases.

jason202 likes this.
  10. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Tower Theatre, Philly Solo (2 Dates)
    NY POTR Capitol Theatre, NY (2 Dates)

NYA Presales Up Now!

11. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Dates? I’m not at home and on mobile.

12. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

Apologize for partial definitive info, but Philly dates are: 9/30 & 10/1

Cap. Theatre dates are (I believe): 9/26 & 9/27
    NYF

13. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Goin' Back Home is an amazing song with Ben Keith on bagpipes. Discuss.

I suspect (I hope) if they have lyric sheets for unfinished works then these will be planned for inclusion, probably as extras in the folders for other songs recorded during the same period.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  14. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Bummer philly is solo. Shut out of both venues guess i am goin to spac

15. WJA

WJA Forum Resident

Hep Alien, ExHead, jlf and 4 others like this.
  16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Got tickets for 9/27 and both Philly.

17. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

The unreleased Mediterranean album isn't on the timeline. Reading an old BA number on Sugar Mountain, I think to have solved the "mystery" behind this album. The album was conceived during the Neil's stay in Amsterdam after the CSNY concert in Wembley, but it wasn't recorded in Europe for several reasons. Rumours about a complete album called Mediterranean originated by the interview (1988)of a BA member with Joel Bernstein, the NY and CSNY Archivist. According to Joel, there was a complete 2 track master tape called Mediterranean. The album was recorded in the late 1974. So the late 1974 sessions for Homegrown generated 2 unreleased albums, Homegrown itself and Mediterranean. Maybe now the Mediterranean songs will be in a revised Homegrown tracklist or on Archives Vol.2.

18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Love Neil but I have no interest in subscription based music service. Gotta be on a physical disc for me to spend money on it.

19. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I have no issues with playback on the site, so it's really paying $20 a year to maintain a cloud storage of an incredible amount of material that sounds phenomenal on my system. It's really not a question for me. I store all my physical disc data on backup drives and play it back from there. Same difference.

20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’ve been listening to Weld this morning. Come on Neil, release Alchemy!

21. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Still I prefer the concept of the Bootleg Series releases. Simple physical releases and more rewarding for the hardcore fans.

22. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Movie night at NYA. Performance of Like A Hurricane with Crazy Horse, Julu 23 2013. 33 minutes, I love it.

Hopefully a preview of Alchemy? :D

23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Was just about to post it. Definitely an Alchemy preview

24. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

What an incredible performance!

Alchemy has to be the length of a 3cd set otherwise there will only be about 5 songs on the album if it’s a double! I absolutely cannot wait for it

25. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

The version of LAH is massive and amazing. Soooo long for a conventional release but for a Crazy Horse tragic like me it hits the spot. I really hope the Alchemy album is coming soon.