Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Just don't look at Neil behind the curtain

2. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

It feels weird to go to some place other than the archives to listen to Neil.

I've trained myself at work to pull up the archives when the "listen to neil" bug strikes!

RayS likes this.
  3. Graham

Graham Senior Member

From Rolling Stone:

Songs for Judy is out November 30th on CD and digital platforms, and December 14th on vinyl.

Songs for Judy Track List (all dates are from 1976)

“Songs For Judy Intro” – Atlanta, GA – Nov 24 (late show)
    “Too Far Gone” – Boulder, Colorado – Nov 06
    “No One Seems To Know” – Boulder, Colorado – Nov 07
    “Heart Of Gold” – Fort Worth, Texas – Nov 10
    “White Line” – Fort Worth, Texas – Nov 10
    “Love Is A Rose” – Houston – Nov 11
    “After The Gold Rush” – Houston – Nov 11
    “Human Highway” – Madison, Wisconsin – Nov 14
    “Tell Me Why” – Chicago – Nov 15 (late show)
    “Mr. Soul” – New York – Nov 20 (early show)
    “Mellow My Mind” – New York – Nov 20 (early show)
    “Give Me Strength” – New York – Nov 20 (late show)
    “A Man Needs A Maid” – New York – Nov 20 (late show)
    “Roll Another Number” – Boston – Nov 22 (late show)
    “Journey Through The Past” – Boston – Nov 22 (late show)
    “Harvest” – Boston – Nov 22 (late show)
    “Campaigner” – Boston – Nov 22 (late show)
    “Old Laughing Lady” – Atlanta – Nov 24 (early show)
    “The Losing End” – Atlanta – Nov 24 (late show)
    “Here We Are In The Years” – Atlanta – Nov 24 (late show)
    “The Needle And The Damage Done” – Atlanta – Nov 24 (early show)
    “Pocahontas” – Atlanta – Nov 24 (late show)
    “Sugar Mountain” – Atlanta – Nov 24 (late show)

Neil Young Details ‘Songs for Judy,’ New 1976 Live Album – Rolling Stone

4. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

really excited for this.

5. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

The Bernstein/Cameron Crowe writeup on NYA is essential reading! Just when I thought I could not possibly be more excited for this LP.

ExHead, garymc, Efus and 3 others like this.
  6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Yet again Neil releases another Archives album where we weren't even aware anything releasable was available. Looking forward to this.

3 releases a year is good with me

7. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Now up on NYA, including "Campaigner." Would have expected it to be Performance Series 06, but it's Performance Series 07. I suppose that Odeon/Budokan could be PS 06, but I would have expected that to be an SRS disc since (I believe) it had been intended as a live album release when it was recorded. If so, that means that there is another unknown PS release between Songs for Judy and Roxy '73--any guesses on what that could be? I would have expected Boarding House to be PS 07 and Solo Trans to be PS 08, but unless at least one of those becomes a X.5 number, there's only room for one more Performance Series release before A Treasure (PS 09).

footlooseman and Hep Alien like this.
  8. ilockyer

ilockyer Forum Resident

That sounds stunning. Can't wait to hear the rest.

9. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

The "new" version is available on the Archives site and sounds good. There's also a nice summary of how the acoustic tape(s) were made and the "best versions" were selected by Joel Bernstein and Cameron Crowe. Good read...
    NYF

Rockinrob and budwhite like this.
  10. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

The Bottom Line show, perhaps? The only other option I can think of would be TFA II, but technically those shows were all recorded in early '73 (though the original TFA album was released a few weeks after the Roxy shows).

YHF likes this.
  11. IHeartRecordsAz

Or it could be a Stills Young Band live album.

12. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

The Bottom Line, you mean? The Bitter End shows with CH were in 1968 and 1969, according to Sugar Mountain. The Bottom Line show in 1974 would make a swell addition to the Performance Series, but I thought I read that the only tapes that exist are audience tapes (i.e., not from the sound board) from that show.

13. IHeartRecordsAz

Yup, I meant Bottom line, lol.

But also, now that I notice that Volume 4 is before Roxy '73, I'd bet all my money that this is going to be Time Fades Away II (and since the other "hidden album" that's on the NYA timeline is pinned around this period, it makes a lot of sense).

What's interesting to me, too, is that if Archives Vol. 2 TRULY is going to be released next May (and knowing Neil, that's a BIG "if"), and it includes the live releases like Vol. 1 did, then it's going to have AT LEAST 4 (and maybe 5 if the Boarding House album is a part of it) Performance Series albums as part of it. And since I don't think there'd only be 3 discs of studio material, that means that this will be a significantly larger box than Vol. 1 was. Which also makes sense as to why Blu-Ray wouldn't be economical for this release, as well.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  14. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Totally with you on TFA II. Really looking forward to that one; fingers crossed that it materializes. Also good insight on the Vol. 2 box--that probably explains why we're seeing so many releases from this period lately.

footlooseman likes this.
  15. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I hope he uses the archives thing to it's fullest potential: make a great, listenable box set. curated, organized.

Then on the archives site - whole shows, tours! They have all the bernstein tapes - put them all on there!

footlooseman likes this.
  16. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

I am excited - but surprised - that “Songs for Judy” is getting a physical release. I assumed that this would be the first Archives-only release, with a goal towards getting people to subscribe. Can’t wait to get this. “Campaigner” sounds spectacular!

Hep Alien and Rockinrob like this.
  17. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

songs for judy is my most anticipated release this year. and this is the year of the white album 50th, blood on the tracks bootleg, and more.

i hope the electric part of these 1976 shows comes to pass too. what a treat!!!!

18. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

this is what NYA is about.

listening to the new live take of campaigner, then clicking over to the studio version recorded just a few months before. damn.

The Revealer likes this.
  19. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

First release for Shakey Pictures Records, too.

aphexj, Heart of Gold and Graham like this.
  20. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

from shakey:

footlooseman likes this.
  21. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Art by Daryl Hannah. Design + layout by Alex Tenta. Is this the first release with artwork not by Gary Burden since his passing?

Now we know this is PS 7, I'm hoping Boarding House is PS 7.5 and Solo Trans is PS 8. And number 6 a nice (electric) surprise :). Anyway, looking forward to this set and certainly gonna buy the cd. Seems more interesting to me than all the solo disks we've gotten so far from the beginning. If Odeon/Budokan ever comes out, it will be a nice companion to this.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Cover art looks like a TMQ boot or something. So it has a kind of charm. I guess.

23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I really like the cover art

James Bennett likes this.
  24. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I am way past speculating on the erratic numbering of these releases and the ever changing size of the digipack sleeves. Please pretty please Neil "bring them on".

Efus and qtrules like this.
  25. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I can't get excited over yet another solo acoustic release. Still waiting patiently for Alchemy, and other more recent recordings.

RomanZ, qtrules, davers and 2 others like this.