Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

You forget A Treasure and Bluenote Cafe Recordings, all electric.

DmitriKaramazov and JoeRockhead like this.
  2. Heart of Gold

Not considering the period covered by Vol. 1, where only acoustic performances were available except for the Live Fillmore with Crazy Horse, so far 3 electric and 3 acoustic volumes have been released.

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

People are burned out on listening to the recordings they whined for decades about not getting.

4. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Just what I was thinking. Kinda why I stopped reading the Dylan more blood more tracks thread.

5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Personally I've burned my Neil Young Depreciation Society membership card for fuel. I'm all in on Neil archival positivity.

Neil, Just Take My Money™.

Cassius, purple-lazy, Muggles and 9 others like this.
  6. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I listened to my bernstein tapes boot again - this is going to be amazing if it all is at the quality level of “campaigner”

All of these different performances are at different times and places, and are valid. If anything, crazy horse has been the only live neil well represented for most of his career

7. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I love all of the archival releases so far but Joel and Cameron should in charge of assembling the track lists to all of these!

8. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

The too long talking about and too long waiting for releases can create real conflict in many fans, though.
    And these artists just keep going and keep celebrating the past.

I'm a graduate of the 1990s Neil resurgence, Harvest Moon and Unplugged came out when I was in high school and Sleeps with angels & Broken Arrow when I was in University. My fandom is "only" 25 years old or so and even I must say that it's all a bit much, in a way. I admit I fairly yawned listening to this "new" "Campaigner" the other day. I like it, I'll probably buy the release but if someone were to suggest that some of our fav artists have almost released too much material and have maybe, gulp, stuck around a bit too long, I would think any reasonable music fan could concede that is a possibility. Wasn't Campaigner on that unreleased studio album from last year?

Somewhat being rhetorical here, I love Neil and listen to him all the time and he's probably my single favourite musical artist.

Another way to put this is that I'm more interested in unreleased "new" songs than hearing ANOTHER version of a song I've heard a hundred times already live and in studio settings

9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I second, third, and one thousandth these comments.

The two recent releases — Hitchhiker and Live Tonight’s the Night — these were not just great, they were “insanely great”. To me, they are in the category of greatest archival releases, by anyone, EVER. Plus Blue Note Cafe, A Treasure, the other acoustic archival releases, several new albums — Monsanto, Peace Trail, Visitor, others — all of which I’d class as good-to-great. Did I mention Time Fades Away? Go ahead and pop A Letter Home or Storeytone into your player.

Neil is finally getting to the archival stuff we always wanted.

Open up your wallet and enjoy the ride. I know I will.

I am more than thrilled with the announced Songs for Judy. Neil is on a roll!

laf848, Cassius, purple-lazy and 20 others like this.
  10. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Just looking through the Archives vol. 1 book for the first time in ages and see there was a studio session at Thunder Sound in Toronto 1/19/71.

Love In Mind
    Journey Through The Past
    A Man Needs A Maid/Heart Of Gold Suite
    See The Sky About To Rain

Wonder if if these recordings will ever show up on archives as well.

Also I wonder how far along that "career anthology" live album was to coming out in 71 or 72 just before Harvest.

11. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

12. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

If they have the tapes, all of these should have been on V1, especially Love In Mind and See the Sky.

ExHead, Kahunasunset and qtrules like this.
  13. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the version of cowgirl in the sand on fillmore east was mixed in 70 or 71.

14. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Arcives Guy was on this very forum (among others) asking for audience tapes of this show so ... I'd rather they skip it working on that one even though it's a great performance.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    footlooseman likes this.
  15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

ronbow and Fletch like this.
  16. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

well yes you would be correct if I was simply trying to list every release, but I wasn't. My point was that there has been a sameness to most of the releases: solo acoustic!

17. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yea, me too...

Soon.

18. Heart of Gold

As written before, simply don't exist electric live performances from the Archives Vol. 1 period,except for the Fillmore East multitracks and Neil couldn't release something non existing in the vaults . From the later periods so far the same number of electric/acoustic releases has been published.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  19. JoeRockhead

love the solo acoustic live releases so far. Not sure what electric releases there are to release from that period. I would take more from that period - Carnegie Hall, whatever else exists.

20. WowBobWow

WowBobWow Forum Resident

Slightly bummed it's acoustic and no Crazy Horse, but maybe it means we are getting closer to the Crazy Horse Alchemy recordings.

21. It's not Neil's fault he performed so much fantastic acoustic music in the early 70s! ;)

22. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I think a lot of us would like to see a great sounding complete show of the kind he did with Crazy Horse and modeled after Dylan's 1965- '66 sets - solo acoustic and then the band set. We got most of an electric portion with the Fillmore release several years back - minus "Cinnamon Girl" - but it would be nice to have the whole package at least once among these releases. I've got many that are boots but would love something official.

rockclassics likes this.
  23. JoeRockhead

I would too but the fact that he has released 17 live albums and zero are complete shows has led me to give up on this

CCrider92 likes this.
  24. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

If the next 5 archival releases were all solo acoustic...

1976 Songs For Judy
    1969 Canterbury House
    1974 Bottom Line
    1978 Boarding House
    1988 Jones Beach

... I would be a happy happy boy!

Each year so very different despite similar instrumentation.

Hep Alien, EwaWoowa and JoeRockhead like this.
  25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member