Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Looking at the files cabinet for "After the gold rush" album and it seems that Stephen Stills is missing from a lot of credits? I can hear him clearly on "Cripple Creek Ferry" (listen to that "SQUEEZE"!) and bits here and there, but he is only listed on "Till the morning comes"...

Hep Alien and JoeRockhead like this.
  2. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Gaps between songs is very low on my priority list compared to new releases from the Archives. If I need gap-less play I have the blu-ray set, or the original LPs

3. rammestuss

rammestuss Well-Known Member

LPs have a pretty big gap mid-album though : ) You hardly ever hear anyone complain about that.

JoeRockhead and 360-12 like this.
  4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Neil Young Archives

BIG updates over at NYA.

Roxy coming March, that’s in preproduction.

Alchemy is also coming, that’s in postproduction, including the film! (Maybe released before Roxy?)

EDIT: after rereading the updates it looks like Alchemy will be after Roxy

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    jay.dee, jlf, AZRunner and 17 others like this.
  5. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Good news, if it happens. Not counting on anything until it's in place. We have been here so many times before. I am also going to be sceptical about the promises for those opting for a higher tier of membership when the paywall goes up. Track record is not impressive.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  6. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Great news. I didn't realise the site was being updated with news pieces like that. I see a newsletter is now in the pipeline which should be interesting too.

Also a note about "tour plans are forming now for the latter part of 2018"!

7. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

"NYA Movie Night" ?

Sweet!

jammincrowe and Heart of Gold like this.
  8. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I love this: "If you count Odeon-Budokan as a Crazy Horse live album..." Hey, Neil you tell us! :shrug:

qtrules likes this.
  9. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

fantastic news!! hopefully this is a signal that the floodgates are about to open up just a little bit

DPK and dtuck90 like this.
  10. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

11. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Great news. Looking foward to what 2018 brings from NYA.

12. I'm glad we're getting updates on the progress right on the site.

13. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Makes a lotta sense to turn the Archives into an all-encompassing, paid Neil subscription service for fans. Not only music, but presale perks, video content etc. Well done Neil! Some people have been waiting a long time for the opportunity to pay for these benefits!

footlooseman, qtrules, RomanZ and 5 others like this.
  14. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see if the cover of Roxy Live is the same as the one that was floating around earlier. I don't know enough about how websites are encoded to know if the story about "finding the cover in the website code" is credible, but perhaps that cover WAS a photoshop job--by the NYA team. They might have just stuck the NYAPS logo on the photo they knew would wind up as the cover when it's printed for real. We see on the Timeline that, for example, they've used the same 7" record with photoshopped labels for many of the singles, and the covers of some albums appear to be scans of cutouts!

15. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It seems that the artwork will be a picture of Neil onstage not too dissimilar to the Tonight’s the Night cover

qtrules likes this.
  16. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

it was confirmed fake.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  17. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

If I'm Neil's team, I'd be looking at Jack White's subscription model as a comparable for the future of the Archives. Pay $60 quarterly for a "premium" membership, and in addition to access to all the Archives content digitally and presale perks, you get a special edition physical Archives release delivered to your door -- only available to premium subscribers, of course. Shift that to maybe two Archives packages a year, and lord knows Neil's got enough to keep this model going for at least a decade. I'd be in, no question!

18. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Hopefully the new albums will also receive a physical release.

19. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Me too and I think many many others so Neil take this cash.

20. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

I read the articles about Roxy and Alchemy via the new NYA Times-Contrarian. As you thought initially, I too interpreted it to mean that Alchemy would be released before Roxy, perhaps in February.

What did you re-read that implied that Roxy would be released before Alchemy? I fixated on the part that said Alchemy was in post-production, which to me means it's further along than the Roxy release...

Thanks,
    NYF

21. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

When Neil said to watch for the cover to be done and then when it’s done the release is imminent. The cover has already started to appear for Roxy so that’s what made me change my mind. But who knows, if the cover is the only thing left to do it could appear at any time.

Also I’m assuming that with the mention of unreleased songs that both Singer a Without a Song and Hole in the Sky will be on there. As far as I’m aware they were the only 2 unreleased songs played on the Alchemy tour?

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

how about that individual release of 'time fades away" first?

and i have a feeling that neil young needs money.

one more CSNY tour might help.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

Innaresting and I understand your logic. With Neil, there are words and expectations, but rarely are they crystal clear and etched in stone. I still think that the fact that "Alchemy" is in post production means that it is planned for release before Roxy.

Hopefully you're right and we'll get "Roxy" first. I have absolutely no interest in hearing/seeing "Alchemy" from the 2012/13 tour. To me, it was a boring, tedious, self-indulgent noise-fest. It was the only time I seriously considered walking out of a Neil show...
    NYF

Mr-Beagle and robcar like this.
  24. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I love Crazy Horse and the 2012-2013 Alchemy Tour. Great memories. I'm happy for the Alchemy video /audio release.

25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’ve got to admit it’s getting better, getting better all the time.

Very excited at the way things are shaping up.

[insert useless complaint here about lack of physical Archives II and something something grumble grumble Time Fades Away for all you grumpy cats...]

[​IMG]

footlooseman likes this.