Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. beartrackrecords

beartrackrecords Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for Road Rock, Volume 2

2. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

So are fans of the Traveling Wilburys.

footlooseman, Yorick, jlf and 2 others like this.
  3. Your purple heart is in the mail.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  4. Efus

Efus Senior Member

20/20 business hindsight, the minute he went back to WB in the late 80's would've been the time to do it.
    Hell we could've been on a 2nd remastering with additional tracks and live cuts added, not to mention the format change releases through the years.
    And this centralized Archives idea still would be viable, with it being an exclusive streamer of all things Neil as the hook.

vonwegen and Heart of Gold like this.
  5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

No doubt Neil left millions on the table.

6. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It seems the movie night schedule has been removed. Postponed until the subscriptions launch maybe?

8. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

9. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

bonus, Taxman and Newscot like this.
  10. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Yes, really good article. He's a great writer. He did a superb piece a while back on the Paisley Underground, really well researched.
    The Paisley Underground: an oral history of Los Angeles's 1980s psychedelic explosion

I think Neil needs to offer something concrete before the paywall goes up. Something exclusive and exciting that will convince the fence-sitters (like me). I have most of what he has released (I gave up in the past 5 or 6 years when he started to release albums that were 90 per cent garbage), have the Archives 1 on blu-ray, etc. I have hi rez downloads of all the classic albums. Not sure at the moment what else of worth the online Archives is going to offer at this stage.

Boswell likes this.
  11. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

It's amazing how this has been one of the most active threads for months, and then with the announcement of the delay, it just deflated like the Hindenburg.

Oh the humanity.

12. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

I love all of Neil's work but NYA online will be a hot topic initially upon subscription start up but I think its going to fizzle out about a year after start up. I wish it the best but let's face it most of Neil's fans don't care about streaming and want physical products as long as physical products are available.

The mobile NYA app will be cool but I don't want to stream it on my phone. I have my Pono player of course for mobile playback.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  13. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I am a philistine and I'm perfectly happy to have his music on my phone, but I recognize that for most Neil Young fans, sound quality is as important to them as it is to him. There's a level of "emotional information" (to borrow a phrase) that you get with analog that you don't get with digital.

14. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I have all the hi quality NY vinyl a man could dream of, same goes for his HD downloads. I must be insane because I also want an archive app too please.

purple-lazy and Rockinrob like this.
  15. FrankieFontaine

Huge drop of unreleased songs coming to NYA soon! Check out the NYA Daily Bulletin and read all about it!

Sean Murdock, Boswell and vertigone like this.
  16. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Can you paste it here please? I’m not near a desktop computer. Thanks.

17. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Finally! It's a sampler of tracks from unreleased albums. "Culled from a complete album in 1976, a solo acoustic tour that ended just before the Last Waltz."

PhantomStranger, Boswell and Graham like this.
  18. FrankieFontaine

It was actually a NY+CH tour that featured a NY solo opening set. Come on, NYA, get your facts together!

ExHead likes this.
  19. fourfeathers

I imagine these will be from the long-rumored-to-be-released Atlanta shows?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  20. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

No. In my opinion from several shows of the US tour.

21. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

An (alternate?) version of the "Joel Bernstein tape", then.

ExHead likes this.
  22. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

These announcements of announcements are getting old.

23. fourfeathers

Give me a live version of "White Line" in high fidelity and I'm a happy man.

Rockinrob, Graham and FourWalledWorld like this.
  24. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I don't think that a such album exists. Simply the Atlanta shows were the last from the US leg and you can see the Atlanta reels better displayed on The Visit to The Archives video (2000). But before that image, if you watch carefully, you could also see the rest of the Fall 1976 tapes lined on the shelves.

Syscrusher and JoeRockhead like this.
  25. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

According to what the "Sugar Mountain" web site lists Neil did approx 21 different solo acoustic songs on that tour plus back in March 1976 he did a further 5 or 6 different acoustic songs (in between was the Stills/Young tour). According to the NYA there will be 15 songs uploaded soon and that is only the "first group of songs". NYA obviously stuffed up on their description when they should have said these are from the solo half of each concert on that tour as the second half was all electric with Crazy Horse (as was the March '76 tour). They also state that this first upload will be "solo acoustic except for one song" which I see as meaning this first batch of 15 songs will be 14 acoustic songs plus one electric band song? Why would you do that.. weird but this is the land of Neil Young and weird is common. So if we get 14 acoustic songs to start with that leaves 7 others and if they do a similar total in the second batch that means there will be approx 8 electric ones added unless they take some from the March tour which would be nice.
    These are the 21 different acoustic songs done on the Nov 1976 tour:
    Campaigner / Old Man / After The Goldrush / Pocahontas / Too Far Gone / Give Me Strength / A Man Needs a Maid / No One Seems To Know / Sugar Mountain / Human Highway / Tell Me Why / Heart of Gold / The Old Laughing Lady-Guilty Train / White Line / Love is a Rose / The Needle and The Damage Done / Journey Through The Past / Mellow My Mind / Roll Another Number / The Losing End / Here We Are in The Years
    As for what the electric song could be is anyone's guess but for me these were the most interesting at the time:
    Peace of Mind / Bite The Bullet / Lotta Love / Drive Back / Like a Hurricane / White Line (also done solo acoustic) / Helpless / Don't Cry No Tears
    Would make sense (assuming they recorded all shows) to release ALL the different acoustic songs then ALL the different Electric songs but in Neil's World that makes too much sense. Anyway I'm looking forward to any top quality sounding songs from this tour.