Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

You are on the money, as ye shall soon see. Unless there's a Change Your Mind.

DmitriKaramazov and bonus like this.
  2. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

wondering if the unreleased stuff will appear behind the paywall.

Sean, gabbleratchet7 and rockclassics like this.
  3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

That would be my guess. Also new releases will probably have a charge.

4. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Yeah, that's my guess too. This initial rollout ("in the beginning, everything is free") of "every song I have ever released" will allow people to get familiar with the website and interface. And then when it comes time to release the unheard stuff everyone is salivating for, I assume a paywall or subscription will be required to access it. They have to monetize it somehow, and rightly so. Hitchhiker was a success so I'm sure physical releases are still in the cards as well.

Yes, it's cryptic but I think there's something to it. Perhaps a video streamed live performance or something? Exciting times for Neil fans!

5. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

bonus, lambfan68 and sirwallacerock like this.
  6. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Wow...

A) Of course we can

B) Sure

C) I'm in Australia, it's Sunday. Saturday was amazing and Sunday has also been great.

D) Not sure how you took that as chastising, making an observation that it was an odd post i.e. declaring the thread be free of speculation, then yourself speculating.

See you in a week :righton:

Sean, csnfan, bobcat and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

No speculation, just an observation...mate.

8. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

On a positive note: I'd like to say that this is (generally) Good News!

Though I respect that other people here think this is:
    Bad News,
    Strange News,
    Expensive News,
    Neil "screwin' with our heads" News,
    "unrealistically high expectations that will cause nothing but bitter disappointment come 1st December" News,
    and
    "it's probably all D****** T*****s fault" News...

But I am going to remain positive :righton:

9. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

My bad. I was just speculating.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  10. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

my guess about the "you will be able to hear and see me" is a live streamed concert/performance with POTR. neil has done a few instagram live things before, so it's not without precedent. a live performance is though... it could just be an interview.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i wonder how long it will be "free"????

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  12. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

On the timeline there's two buttons on the bottom left that say 'original releases' and 'additional releases' on/off. So you can view only originally released material, or only additional material, or both. I know the first thing I'm going to do is view all the additional material.

Alan57 likes this.
  13. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Like Neil said years ago, "mp3's should be free, like the new radio".

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Too late, have no interest now ;).

chrisblower likes this.
  15. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I’m happy to pay for new unreleased stuff, I don’t expect everything to be free. I just hope it’s eventually downloadable. I’m not a huge fan of streaming.

ash1, factory44, picassoson and 2 others like this.
  16. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

same. streaming doesn't fit into my ecosystem, despite what you may have read about millennials.

Plan9, AZRunner and Vinyl Socks like this.
  17. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I can see a possible paywall for new stuff down the line, maybe a subscription model for monthly new releases.

But it would be beyond hypocritical to post a message saying "In the beginning, everything is free." and then charge right off the bat for unreleased material. That's why I'm thinking it will only be the released albums at first.
    I'm really looking forward to all that lies ahead though.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  18. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

Dear Neil,

I love you.

Sincerely,
    Brian

19. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Spot on -- I don't see how this will work for the broad majority of people. What "machine" of mine would support streaming and output at 24/192, provided my internet connection is fast enough? Seems extremely limited in its scope, already. Would anybody here be set up to actually output this?

20. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

I love that this thread is finally a thing.

purple-lazy and bonus like this.
  21. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Not gonna hear any complaints or negative speculation here. Just glad that something called archives, in any incarnation, is seeing the light of day.

In Neil I Trust.

Thanks Neil!!

500Homeruns and dtuck90 like this.
  22. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I've heard there are millennials adept enough to find out how to capture a stream.

23. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I think there are millenials (and others) who realised that you don't need to capture a stream. If you want to listen again, you just stream it again!

stef1205 likes this.
  24. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Complete archives? Free? See Neil's face when he gets the hosting provider bill.

[​IMG]

25. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Your laptop or pc...or your Android or iPhone...just download VLC Media Player from the App Store or Google Apps, whatever you use.
    It plays 24-bit and high-resolution files (already tested my iPod with VLC Media Player & HDTracks files and they play perfectly).

The only issues could be that someone on a "family plan" for their mobile service could crash the data cap rather early in the month to get the full 24/192 stream with an adaptive bit rate...which leads consumers to only stream over their home wi-fi signal (because any store or workplace offering free wi-fi service will likely have a slow - thus reaolution-reduced - speed/bandwidth)...and that doesn't help the folks who want to listen to the Archive in the highest-possible resolution.

So...maybe I'm speculating...but...I've raised some very honest points about the whole Ora-Stream system. I'm on your side, guys...
    And I still use a flip-phone.

Does anyone know of a mobile service provider that offers very high-speed data transfer at a set price? Most limit your speed after you pass a certain amount of usage.

Since the unreleased parts of the Archive will never be pressed to vinyl...we're stuck with digital.

My initial "speculation" was concern that 'because this is the case'...will Neil eventually offer downloadable files for those who cannot stream 24/7 (at places like the gym or in my car)...some people don't use smartphones with a mobile signal.

F%** it...I'll just stream it to my laptop and get stoned and forget about working out to it :idea: :righton:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    forthlin, Syscrusher and allbrosca like this.