Neil Young Official Release 5-8 & 8.5-12 to get CD release (Pricing & Shipping Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WarEagleRK, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I think the jewel cases were individual on the first 4.

2. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

That bothers me all out proportion to its actual importance. I thought Decade fits but that one is 558030-2. And Hitchhiker is 560639-2.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  3. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

In 2012 in the EU only.

4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Isn't that intentional? Just like the original album's blotter paper?

5. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

6. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Yes, as a box set with jewel cases, they were released in Europe. Neil Young - Official Release Series Discs 1-4

As a box in the U.S. they were in mini-LP card sleeves. Neil Young - Official Release Series Discs 1-4

The U.S. jewel cased 1 - 4 were released as separates with expanded booklets. The Euro boxed jewel cases have a one page (printed both sides) insert instead of booklets.

cartologist likes this.
  7. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

To my ears the new discs in my 5-8 box sound better overall than my HDCD remasters of the first 4 albums. They just sound warmer and not as loud, I can turn up the volume more on the new discs. This could purely be because I cannot decode HDCD, I don't know. Does anyone else think these new 2017 discs sound better than the first 4 album HDCD remasters?

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  8. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The one that's currently selling for $20 on Amazon uses jewel cases, but they do not have booklets, only an insert.

9. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the individual NA 1-4 releases in jewel cases are spectacular.

Galley and Oyster Boy like this.
  10. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

:)

11. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Listening to TFA without the scratches and scrapes that plague my beat up vinyl copy is a wonderful thing. Really like listening to a whole new album, in fact (though I'll admit that the scratches and scrapes have always been part of its charm for me!).

For those who are staying away from buying this box because of packaging, rest assured that it is VERY well done with accurate recreation of the original vinyl releases. It's actually quite a beautiful set.

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

So, if the only titles I'm interested in are Time Fades Away and the unedited Live Rust, it means I have to buy 2 separate box sets? :sigh:

driverdrummer likes this.
  13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

You could put a "WTB" ad in the classifieds here. You never know....

I'd bet they will come out separately later on in jewel boxes like last time, but we are talking about Neil here. :laugh:

bobcat likes this.
  14. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Listening to OTB right now, and this is a noticeably different mastering from the HDCD release. They both sound spectacular, but some things are popping out on this version that I never really noticed before, particularly the organ on "Vampire Blues" and "On the Beach." Very cool. Interestingly enough, the first time I played the HDCD version, I remember the fiddle on "Ambulance Blues" really coming through, whereas on the 2017 master it seems a bit less 'in front', if you know what I mean. This is definitely a worthy companion to prior versions of the album.

15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Yes

16. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Time Fades Away.....

an album better than sex or religion!

"Son don't be home too late .... no, no, no ....."

Neil at his best, my friends!

17. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I uploaded all the albums onto the loudness wars website for those that are interested in that kind of thing. I'm digging the sound of these albums compared to the original CDs, regardless of what technical data may show.

d.s.l. likes this.
  18. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

All Neil Young HDCD's use peak extension so will sound compressed if not decoded.

19. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

In the UK both HMVs I use (Castleford & Leeds) still stock the jewel case box for £12.99.

20. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

... while Amazon UK lists Vol.3 (8.5-12) at £64.99 :mad:

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

are '1 - 4 ' in cardboard in this picture? i thought they came in jewel boxes?

hulloder72 likes this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

funny how the remastered HDCD "decade" that came out this summer was undersized, and these 2 non-HDCD box sets are oversized.......what were they thinking?

bruce2 likes this.
  23. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

24. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

hulloder72 likes this.
  25. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Let's see how we can annoy the people who are most likely to buy this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.