Neil Young Official Release 5-8 & 8.5-12 to get CD release (Pricing & Shipping Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WarEagleRK, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes:

stars and bars.....on the beach were both previously issued in HDCD in their first incarnation on CD.

bobcat likes this.
  2. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Actually, just re-read the post and realised I misunderstood. I believe that OTB and ASABs were HDCD when previously reissued in 2003.

bobcat likes this.
  3. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Ok.

I agree. It's a bit all over the place. Annoyingly inconsistent to say the least.

How long do we have to wait for standalone jewel case versions of the latest two boxes?

I am totally with you!

4. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I'm glad I started reading this thread. I had been dragging my feet on picking up this set. I pulled out my old bootleg of "Tide Fades Away" and it had developed CD rot so it was pretty much useless. Then I realized that I didn't have any of the other albums on CD either so I jumped over to Bull Moose and ordered it. The sad thing was losing all the bonus tracks on the TFA bootleg.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  5. I think the box set sounds better than prior redbook masterings of these albums. I will admit I was never much of a fan of HDCD, so that loss didn't bother me.

bruce2 and Oyster Boy like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i think, what disturbs me more than anything, is young re-issuing 'decade" in HDCD....2 frickin weeks before these boxes without it.

7. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

‘Inconsistent’ is Neil’s middle name.

kevin5brown likes this.
  8. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Anyone know if 5-8 has gone out of print already? Zero copies available on Amazon when I looked last, new or used. I bought one on Walmart.com a few days ago for 41 bucks and I can't even find this set on the site anymore.

9. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I just checked Amazon and there's one third party listing (Movie Mars) at $49.32-- new, not used.

puffyrock2 likes this.
  10. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

You may want to check out any local Barnes and Nobles. There was a 5-8 in my store for about six months then I grabbed it during a 50% off cd sale about a month ago. It lists for about $52.
    Don't know about your local B&N but mine has a pretty decent selection of Neil Young music.

PhantomStranger and puffyrock2 like this.
  11. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I could not find one on any of the popular U.S. sites. I ordered a copy yesterday on Amazon UK for $65.00 shipped. As soon as I do, Movie Mars has one on Amazon US, but I’ve had poor luck with shipments from them.

12. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

The one I ordered from WalMart.com came from MovieMars and it shipped right away, so hopefully no issues.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  13. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Perhaps a reissue of the boxes and individual CDs are coming?

I’ve been waiting for the reissues!

14. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

jewel cases! jewel cases!!

Matty likes this.
  15. B&N is almost certainly the best retail shot at still finding these Neil Young sets. Their music section doesn't see much traffic these days and their prices tend to put casual shoppers off. But they have most of the bigger recent box sets from major acts.

Galley and fmfxray373 like this.
  16. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Yes but I am afraid that they will do the same as Target and Best Buy real soon...get rid of cds. It is no wonder their cds sit when they price new releases at $15.99 for non-members. Sometimes though I break down because buying something on line from an artist's web page cost about the same when you include shipping.

17. moops

moops Senior Member

Individual CD releases would be nice, but considering Neil's feelings about CD who really knows.

18. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Hmm, not true for Tonight's the Night. The new one sounds just like vinyl (to my ears). Strikingly better than my old cd. My buddy who has the earlier On the Beach chooses the box version of that one, too, though by a slimmer margin.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

hard to believe these still haven't come out individually.

PacificOceanBlue and Kiss73 like this.
  20. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

According to my records, Amazon’s lowest price for Discs 5-8 was $35.18. I kept waiting for the price to drop. It never did and I ended up paying $30 more to get a copy. D’oh!

21. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Long May You Run remastered is only available digitally in 8.5-12 box correct; no hi res of it from what I can find?

22. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

it was on pono back in the day.

23. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

vertigone and adamos like this.
  24. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

25. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Currently £54.17 on Amazon.co.uk

Yeah, right! I’ll have two.