Neil Young Official Release Series 5-8

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

As if there was going to be any doubt the vinyl would not sound better than the CD.:doh:

2. John Barrett

John Barrett Forum Resident

So i got my box today, all good except for the TTN glue issue. So is Pritt Stick the best option here?

3. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

No. Tape is much worse, because it mainly serves short-time uses and it is very aggressive. Eventually it will destroy any paper that it is in contact with.

4. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

TNT on the Thorens as I type this ..... Double wow.... Very intimate recording and though I heard individual songs from this album I never (sic) heard it in its entirety. Vinyl flat and quiet quiet quiet. Neil Young heaven.

5. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Stapler

izgoblin and Parkertown like this.
  6. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

The Xxxxxx'd out stuff is because it's the same cut and the same metals were sent from Pallas In Germany to get used here in the US on the 140s, but they needed to change information on it since it its a different record weight and pressed elsewhere. The 180 has the handwriting 1-517935-A (or B side 2), but the 140 as mentioned has that too, but scratched out, and then has 1-519461 A. Same cut, same metal, just new stampers made for pressing at a different plant and catalog it's release.

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i'm not too worried about it

John D. likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I was listening to Long May You Run and American Stars N Bars on CD, both were on the loud side, but American Stars N Bars was really loud. It was weird going back and hearing a NY album mastered poorly after playing mostly vinyl for such a long time.

That makes sense. I compensated for the VTA differences and still heard a non-negligible enough difference.

9. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

My Long May You Run CD (Germany 1993) is not loud. Instead ASAB is a 2003 CD remaster.

10. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Just got an email that the box + shirts are shipped. That's quick!!

11. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Really? It's good for you, but sucks for me. They sent me an email saying backordered until 30 days. You ordered from the Neil Young store? I ordered from them sbout a 1 1/2 week ago. Got my box set, but without my 4 shirts.

12. So you'll be naked for a month or so.

Nightswimmer and Heart of Gold like this.
  13. Ordered from Warner Bros website on November 29, arrived yesterday, in The Netherlands, Europe. Turned out expensive, as customs intercepted it to charge me another 40 euros. But hey, I knew that was a risk, so I'm not complaining.

Like ORS 1-4, these are some of the best sounding records in my collection!!!, no. 000695 here by the way

no sound issues discovered so far, missing some glue over here too, but I don't care much about that, will keep sleeves and records apart in the box anyway

I always smile and feel funny when I see the dutch magazine article in the TTN insert, knowing I can understand it and most of you can't... (sorry...;))

yes, one happy camper over here!

SergioRZ, Parkertown and jamesmaya like this.
  14. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat. I ordered the bundle, and have the box already. But I now got a second email stating the shirts are on backorder and won't be in until 30 days... Not that I mind, I have the records. Just sayin.

15. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I ordered the XL size t-shirts because of shrinkage when drying, being 100% organic cotton. I'm 6'-1, 170lbs frame. Are these the "boxy" type or the slim fitting? Anybody?

16. Cheeses

Cheeses Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay, but my matrix numbers are from the numbered edition from Neil Young's website, not the RSD version.

17. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

It's all Double Dutch to me ;)

mestreech likes this.
  18. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

ORS 10 "Comes A Time" 192khz 24bit Pono Music Store download sounds great, the best I've heard this album sound.

19. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Hard to say if you are right or not. It's a shame that an official release (ORS 10) of an International artist is sold in monopolio. Still hoping in a wider release.

20. My box arrived today. I ordered directly from Amazon Germany, the shipment came from Italy. It's one of those with the typo, not numbered, and the glue on the cover of Tonight's the Night is, well, somewhat sparingly applied.

All of that I can live with, but it seems that there is a pressing defect (small bubble) in one of the songs on Tonight's the Night. I will have to check how that influences playability.

SergioRZ likes this.
  21. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

ASnB's is a HDCD with peak extension enabled so you need to decode it to get the full dynamic range. Even non decoded I certainly wouldn't say it's loud though YMMV.

22. FrankieFontaine

The rest of the ORS series, NY-Reactor, is available now in 192khz 24bit sound at the Pono store. As of now it is missing American Stars N Bars and strangely enough the releases that were released on DVD Audio at 176khz 24bit are only available at 88khz 24bit, which is ok since I will just use the 176khz 24bit DVD Audio tracks from the On The Beach, American Stars N Bars, Hawks And Doves and Reactor.

23. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

time fades away too???

24. FrankieFontaine

25. John Barrett

John Barrett Forum Resident

here's a dumb question, do you have to have a pono to buy hi quality files from the pono store?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.