Neil Young Paradox Soundtrack Out 04/20/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FrankieFontaine, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

What's up with this email from Amazon:

Hello from Amazon.ca.
    We're sorry to report the release of the following item has been cancelled:
    Neil Young + Promise of the Real "Paradox (Original Music from the Film)"
    Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it won't be released after all. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we've caused you.
    We've cancelled this item from your order.

This order was the CD. The vinyl still shows as available and the CD is still available for pre-order on Amazon.com. This is the second time they have done this to me recently. The first was the Spirit Ode & Epic recordings box which showed up as a pre release shortly after cancelation and I ordered it again.

2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Amazon.ca have a habit of doing this to get around the preorder price promise

3. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

To anyone interested, the NYA website has Paradox on-demand streaming tonight, starting at 8PM Pacific.

I dunno - I find the NYA exciting already. I think I am going to be subscribing to the site when it goes Rust subscription.

4. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

It's streaming here in New Zealand on Tidal and I'm on my second listen for the day. It's pretty darn good!. Stylistically a bit all over the place but it's a soundtrack so that's to be expected perhaps. There's definitely some sampling / covers of the Dead Man soundtrack here too (which I love). Some new versions of previously released tracks are great, Cowgirl Jam is a 10min+ Crazy Horse-ish ramble of Cowgirl in the Sand - Neil is well in his comfort zone on this and Promise of a real doing a good job in support. Perhaps not a full return to form for Neil but some great moments on this. Looking forward to watching the movie on Netflix this evening - I suspect it will be ridiculous and fantastic all at once. I have the vinyl on pre-order and won't be cancelling that, actually I'm really looking forward to it's arrival in a month.

Nielsoe, Oyster Boy and Heart of Gold like this.
  5. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Streaming now!! I'm torn...do I wait to watch the movie tonight or listen now...

6. BlackCircleVinyl

There's no right (or wrong) answer here. I went with music first as primarily that's what I love most about Neil's work. There's no **spoiler** on the soundtrack so don't let that side of it worry you (if it is).

7. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

On a completely unrelated note ... did I just pick up a copy of the Visitor double Lp For less than $9 on Amazon. Is it really that bad ?

8. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Neil and Daryl will be at IFC introducing the film tomorrow night (March 23)

9. BlackCircleVinyl

To round out my Paradox day I just finished watching this on Netflix (yes already! There are some advantages to living close to the front end of the international date line). My review of the movie and soundtrack are much the same. Lots of sampling of Dead Man, stylistically all over the place with some jarring camera work...but some great stuff too. Don’t take it too seriously (I’m pretty sure Neil and POTR didn’t) and you might enjoy it for what it is. Sure, I’m not going to race out and tell everyone they must watch it or even listen to the soundtrack. That said it was a nice way to spend a quiet Friday evening in, contemplating creative ebb and flow. Thanks Neil.

10. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Just finished listening to the stream and I enjoyed it (the POTR version of Peace Trail, in particular).

However, in saying that, I think I will be cancelling my LP pre-order. I just don't see myself getting a whole lot of repeat listening out of it.

11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just finished watching the movie. Absolutely dreadful.

Enjoyed the soundtrack though

12. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Gonna' go into this with a bit of that backstory of the budget being 150G's.
    Thinking back to the Mtv days when costs of a 4 minute video progressed toward the millions, there's a pre-expectation to not imagine anything more than a nutty Neil funpiece with an eco message.
    Pipe it, netflix and chill.

EVOLVIST and RayS like this.
  13. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream" Thread Starter

I loved the film and the soundtrack in 24 bit digital! Beautiful dreamy film filled with great music.

Humbuster and James Bennett like this.
  14. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

On my second listen via NYA right now, and color me shocked -- this album is pretty good! Nice casual campfire vibe to the whole thing. The POTR version of "Peace Trail" is indeed a highlight, but also enjoyed some of the tossed-off grooves like "Running To The Silver Eagle". Anytime Neil gets free rein to rip crunchy, subterreanean licks over a funky groove, I'm on board. I was also pleasantly surprised to see some of these tracks are live cuts, including one of the pump-organ versions of "Pocahontas" from the 2014 solo tour and a particularly smokin' live take of "Cowgirl"!

Lukas really shines vocally on this album too. "Diggin' In The Dirt", "Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground" and even the lo-fi resonator blues of "How Long" have a great vibe to them. If the Horse has the Spook, then POTR has the... real? They're certainly genuine, as is this whole album.

Nielsoe, qtrules, Oyster Boy and 3 others like this.
  15. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Listened to the soundtrack last night and enjoyed it and just watched the film and enjoyed that too!
    Folks, it's not a movie, it's a group of creative friends having fun and playing music. I think because I'm in a strange place with my own life and creative identity I just really enjoyed the goofy sweetness of it and it made me want to go play guitar and sing songs! Makes me want to contact old friends and set-up a fishing trip where we camp for the night, smoke some joints and play tunes til we get tired.
    It's a silly hippy ride and that's all it is and it was enjoyable to me . . . thanks Neil & POTR

Nielsoe, Crazyhorse11, bonus and 5 others like this.
  16. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

I haven't seen the movie yet but I really enjoyed the soundtrack! Dead Man pt 2!
    I think this will get more spins from me than the last few Neil studio LPs

17. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

I just played it for the first time having picked up a cheap copy and I really enjoyed it. Considering how it had been slammed it was far better than I was expecting.

I like the work Neil has done with Promise of the Real, not sure why everybody is so down on it. I think some people need to get over the fact that he's never going to make Harvest or On The Beach again. Much as I love that Neil I also like where Neil is today and I'm grateful that he is so active. One day he will be gone and people will see this period in a different light. I also think the Paradox soundtrack sounds great and have pre-ordered my first Neil album since Letter Home. Since then I have been slowly catching up with releases when the prices dropped enough to tempt me.

Erik B., qtrules, vertigone and 2 others like this.
  18. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

Just watched the film and, as I expected, it's basically a student film with famous people. The scenery is beautiful and the music is good; everything else is superfluous. The story is non-existent, the acting is bad and it's pretty hard to believe it cost $150k. I've definitely seen far worse, though. It would, in my opinion, have been far, far better if it had just been them trading songs and stories around the campfire. If you go in expecting a good movie or art, you'll likely be disappointed. If you go in with low expectations, you may be able to tolerate the nonsense (maybe even like it) and just enjoy the music.

19. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Just watched it. Your last sentance applied to me and the missus. We did like the nonsense (had a few laughs) and the music was sublime. Really enjoyed it overall.

NeilYoungFan likes this.
  20. Feat21

Feat21 Forum Resident

01. Many Moons Ago In The Future [Willie narration]
    03. Paradox Passage 1 [NY solo*]
    05. Paradox Passage 2*
    07. Paradox Passage 3*
    12. Paradox Passage 4*
    14. Paradox Passage 5*
    17. Paradox Passage 6*
    18. Offerings*
    20. Happy Together
    21. Tumbleweed ['Storytone' edit]

02. Show Me [demo]
    08. Peace Trail [POTR]

04. Hey ["Love And Only Love" jam]
    06. Diggin' In The Dirt [chorus]
    13. Diggin' In The Dirt
    15. Running To The Silver Eagle [instrumental jam]

11. Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground (Willie Nelson) [acoustic*, Lukas vocal]
    16. Baby What You Want Me To Do?* (Jimmy Reed)
    19. How Long?* [Lukas solo]

09. Pocahontas [pump organ, Calgary '14]
    10. Cowgirl Jam [Desert Trip '16]

21. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I really like The Visitor. There are a number of great tracks. Give it a go and see what you think.

NeilYoungFan and Erik B. like this.
  22. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

watched the movie tonight. it definitely was a tone poem, as opposed to a fully-fledged narrative film. i liked it over all.

that 'peace trail' performance was terrific. neil, please re-record that album with POTR!

i have a radical opinion... i think the last 3 years of NY's work (monsanto years, earth, peace trail, the visitor and paradox) will be seen as a new high point in the future. there's some fantastic work on those LPs.

NeilYoungFan and Oyster Boy like this.
  23. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

what's the source for all of this? i disagree with "show me" being a demo; it's part of the same session as the released song on "peace trail".

24. Feat21

Feat21 Forum Resident

That is my own compilation to sort out all the tracks. The first group is the "incidental film music" stuff. The second are the stronger "new" tracks. I see "Show Me" as a cut portion of an early run through of the song, as heard by only the chorus in the take.

25. "Love is like a fart. The more you force it, it's probably s**t." Haha!

This movie is for stoners!

It's a good thing I'm baked to understand what's going on. :D

budwhite, Oyster Boy and Erik B. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.