Neil Young Paradox Soundtrack Out 04/20/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FrankieFontaine, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oh my god... Willie is in it, too!

I'm just saying; I feel fortune to live in a time when both Willie Nelson and Neil Young walk the earth.

A great version of "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground." Moving, even.

I'm wondering if "Peace Trail" - this version - will be considered a classic? It sounds like classic Neil to me.

I really like the last couple of scenes with Neil playing "Tumbleweed" with Daryl in tow, and the Nelson brothers dancing, while singing "So Happy Together."

Okay, there's a story here. It's not a random as it's been said.

The bits with Neil robbing banks, trekking through the snow, the woods, etc., are all flashbacks to when he was alone and a renegade. He finds this camp of prospectors, but we don't know what they are prospecting for, until the show us that this is really the future. Something happened that culled the earth of many people, and threw them back into old western times. Perhaps it was some sort of apocalypse, or more like a disease, leaving the earth to flourish.

So, these males, living at their own outpost, dig up pieces of the technological past, which ends up being baubles, fancy trinkets to curry favor with the women, who also have their own camp. The women provide vegetables for the men. I take the men get alcohol from somewhere, and certainly pot. Every so often, when the women come by, it is breeding time. Note the cycles of the moon, and why it wasn't time to breed at that moment. With all of these women living together, raising the children (evidently from previous "breeding times), their menstrual cycles must be locked in together.

Anyway, it's all about seeds. New seeds, be it children, an ideology, the male sperm and the female egg, the seeds to grow plants, it all becomes metaphor for changing one's ways...and also love. I mean, what kind of rock star doesn't sing about love? Sowing the seeds of love, planting the seeds of new ideas, least the world as we know it perish, and we get stuck in a cowboy future, listening to Neil Young, and waiting for our time to get laid. :D

There's story here...and the music is all very, very good!

Nielsoe, bonus, NeilYoungFan and 2 others like this.
  2. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been covered, but does the soundtrack feature dialog?

3. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

just the first track.

Nielsoe likes this.
  4. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I have to agree.

“I’m not working to get a chart number or anything. Some things groove more than others and I chalk that up to all kinds of things. Could be the moon. Could be the weather. I just keep bumbling along and do what I do.”

5. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Just watched. Not bad, especially the scenery which is close by :cool:

May actually pick up the soundtrack.

nmesen likes this.
  6. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Just listened to the soundtrack. Not bad, especially the Pocahontas & Cowgirl Jam.

May actually watch the film.

7. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Anyone go to the Q&A with Neil & Daryl in NYC last night?

8. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Tried to get tickets last week but the Q&A screening was already sold out. I did go to the following showing which featured an "Introduction by Daryl Hannah and Neil Young". And if you blinked you missed it. They came out, DH said "we had fun making this movie with friends and we call it a loud poem or a horse of a different color. Hope you like it!" And then they were gone. Neil didn't say a word, just waved to the crowd. They were there and gone in about 60 seconds, if that.

Anyway, I enjoyed the film though I wouldn't say it was objectively good. Put another way, if you're not already a fan I doubt you'll care for it much, but the music sounded great through the theater's sound system, and there were some beautiful shots throughout. A couple funny moments, too. I liked the short scene with Neil and Willie.

9. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Does anyone have a vinyl copy yet and can comment on the sound/packaging quality? One week ago, I never thought I'd type these words, but this has very quickly become my favorite "new" Neil release in years!

Nielsoe and James Bennett like this.
  10. You're right. If someone isn't a Neil Young fan, they're probably not going to dig, especially because there is tons of Neil's music in the film. The music makes the film, really, not the other way around.

What made me chuckle is that Neil is playing a tough guy. I just don't see it. Haha! But a couple of times, I couldn't help it, I just thought, "God bless, Neil friggin' Young." Only a legend could do a film like this.

A not about the music: the choice of performances is really, very, very good. There's not a duff note in the whole thing. Moreover, I'm was reminded (though I didn't really need a reminder), that at the age of 72, Neil is in fine voice. While something like "Tumbleweed" he sounds a little aged (on purpose), his voice on "Peace Trail" sounded like it could have been recorded 40 years ago.

I've quit bellyaching about Neil not releasing his archived stuff, and have become content with releases like this, where he follows his own compass.

11. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

For me the film (especially the Desert Trip footage) reminds me why I love Neil so much. Ended up last night (after a few beers) and seeing the movie playing both versions of Tumbleweed from Storytone. To put it in perspective, when did anyone write anything as good as that (and I buy a lot of new stuff). Legend.

12. I can be critical of Neil Young, but I'm sure there will come a time when we'll look back and find a lot more classic material out if these recent string of albums. Not everything is a gem, but when Neil is firing on all cylinders, I don't believe he's far off from the mark he set for himself in the '60, '70s and '90s. (I like his '80s work, but I think he's making better music today, compared to the mid to late '80s.)

piepants, footlooseman and Oyster Boy like this.
  13. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i think his run since 2015 (monsanto years, earth, peace trail, the visitor, paradox) is going to be very highly regarded in a few years.

14. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Haven't seen the movie yet, but there are some top notch moments on the soundtrack, and a really cool relaxed vibe. Lukas doing Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground might well be the definitive version of that song for me, and the highlight of the album.

Boswell likes this.
  15. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I think the Storytone material is generally underrated, and I think it's largely due to the orchestral/big band version being the default "main" version. If the solo version of the album was the only version, I suspect people would hold it in higher regard.

16. I think you're right. Add Storytone to that list and I would agree 100%. There's at least one gem, often more, on each album.

Am I the only dummy who purchased all three versions of Storytone? Haha!

I really like that one, and while the big band versions (not the straight orchestral versions) leave me a little cold, that "Say Hello To Chicago" solo version is friggin' killer, as it follows Neil's older ways of writing piano driven songs.

Really, I guess the moral for me is, I've griped about some of his recent albums when they first came out, but then upon revisiting them, they surprise me, as they've magically gotten better.

17. I agree, I really enjoy the Solo Storytone version.

James Bennett and JoeRockhead like this.
  18. That movie was weird.

19. Wow, finally got around to listening to the Neil Young + POTR version of 'Peace Trail' - it's as good as the previous posters said!

20. Feat21

Feat21 Forum Resident

me talking to THE Neil Young at the "Paradox" screening in Chicago last night. I asked him about working with director Jonathan Demme on HEART OF GOLD, TRUNK SHOW and JOURNEYS!

21. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

So it seems the vinyl is out already (at least Amazon is shipping it). Anyone have this in hand? Keen to hear if it’s up to the currrent good NY vinyl standards. Cheers.

22. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I cannot argue with this statement one iota and if I was a fan of downloading or streaming, then maybe there would be no issue finding that "one gem". however, at what point do you stop forking out your £10 to to buy the CD to get that "one gem".

The inconstancy of quality means Neil unfortunately is one of those artists I have stopped buying and I use those £10's to buy music from young new bands.......which turns out is no bad thing....

moonshiner, babyblue and Nielsoe like this.
  23. You don't have to be a fan of downloading or streaming to stream an album first before you buy a physical release just to see if it's worth it to you.

24. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I have a vinyl copy and played it last night. The pressing is nice. Sounded great to me. No issues. The packaging is a nice, sturdy gatefold sleeve. There's a fairly lengthy booklet included as well, which I skimmed through very quickly so I can't comment much on the content. I think it's mostly lyrics, liner notes and photos. I was on the fence after streaming it, but the trio of Peace Trail, Pocohontas and Cowgirl Jam make this worthwhile purchase, IMO.

RayS and BlackCircleVinyl like this.
  25. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

That is of course very true.......but when I said "not a fan", I meant despise :D....and subsequently I have no subscriptions, free or otherwise , to any steaming services.

thewolfshead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.