Neil Young readies Pono music service for expansion Part 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

2. Gary

Folks, we're starting to issue warnings for trolling so keep it civil and respectful please.

Thanks!

DRM, Tuco, DLant and 4 others like this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

So who is in for a Pono today? I tried for the $200 pledge, but missed it by 5 minutes.

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Sorry everyone!

Hey, does anyone know what OS Pono uses or if it has wifi?

5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

part 2 already? is neil a beatle now??

6. DreadPikathulhu

Good question. Also, does it have Bluetooth?

7. Gary

Nope. But still seems to be popular judging by the posts. Or is that Pono is unpopular?

8. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

$200 is a fairly decent price for this. I think people would buy it for that price, and when a title comes along in hi-rez., they will jump on it.

Does anyone know if it can be linked up to a home system?...say a integrated amp for instance...or, is intended to be for on the go?

9. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I just read the part where they say this thing is not even out of prototype yet and they haven't even started working on the fab in china.

I could never buy anything like this before I got my hands on a final version coming out the factories in China. Got burnt before buying players with buttons that barely worked and other sketchy problems.

10. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

You can only listen to it in a car or van, I think.

Peter_R and Malina like this.
  11. DreadPikathulhu

I'd pay $200. $300 is a bit high, but doable if it has Bluetooth and Mac compatibility. There is no way I'd pony up $400 for a Pono.

12. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I wonder - if these things are coming out in October (I'm guessing), will they go on sale during Black Friday?

13. paulisdead

It will be Mac compatible. But could you send a 24bit/192kHz file over BlueTooth? I have a hard enough time doing it with my NAS to XBMC.

14. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

It has both a line-out and headphone-out so you can use it where ever you please.

AlienRendel and paulisdead like this.
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I still don't understand Pono! Here I was thinking audio fidelity was a science that could be objectively quantified and described. Perhaps not!

mantis4tons likes this.
  16. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

or a Lincvolt?

RomanZ likes this.
  17. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

http://gizmodo.com/what-is-high-resolution-audio-1252637824/1541582373/ marioaguilar

Why Neil Young's New Pono Music Player Doesn't Make Any Sense
    [​IMG]

Neil Young is a lover of music, and so he has embarked on a well-intentioned quest to improve the quality of digital music. His Pono player is based on a good understanding of the problems with digital music—but its prescription for a solution only half-way makes sense.

As I discussed in a post last fall , crappy music files are surely a scourge, but the solution is to advocate for a return to CD-quality audio, not for the absurdly high-rate audio proposed by Young and others. CD quality sound is based on science, and going higher-resolution scientifically doesn't make a difference.

This isn't the fault of the player per se, but the whole idea behind the player is to provide a home for "Pono" files with soaring resolutions. There are other considerations that make hardware good, and we're not debating that Pono may or may not have these. But like the high-resolution audio jargon we first heard about last fall, there's something fundamentally misleading about the underlying ideas behind some of Pono's audio quality claims.

Just read through the Kickstarter and look for science. Or let me save you the trouble: There isn't any. The benefits listed under the "audiophile" section of the FAQ are all about hardware—not about the sampling rate and bit depth.

We've asked for more information from the folks at Pono. When they provide us with scientific evidence which proves that 192kHz/24-bit audio is better than the 44.1 kHz/16-bit CD-quality standard, we'll let you know.

18. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i would guess the bluetooth would be more for portable headphones than sending files.

19. paulisdead

I like the line-out option. Straight into the AUX input in the car stereo - no stuffing around with headphone volume levels - easy.

KBanya likes this.
  20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

21. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I saw the headphone jack...the other looked like a recharge-receptacle.

22. DreadPikathulhu

I would use the Bluetooth on my car. I can also use it with my Onkyo receiver.

qtrules likes this.
  23. andrewz

andrewz Forum Resident

I still think sound quality is all in the mastering.

24. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Okay...I want a blue one....for $200. :)

25. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

The PonoPlayer has two output jacks. The first is a normal mini-stereo output specially designed for headphones and is meant for personal listening. The second is a stereo mini-plug analog output specifically designed for listening on your home audio system, in your car, or with your Sonos Connect – so you can share the PonoMusic experience with your friends and family.

So no digital line-out then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.