Neil Young recording new album with Chris Walden

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Heart of Gold, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident Thread Starter

Several sources are reporting that Neil Young is recording a new album in Los Angeles with the arranger Chris Walden, Niko Bolas producing. Photos of the recording sessions on the Gina Zimmitti Facebook.

2. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

It's sad because I've been listening to him for 45 years, but my only reaction when I hear he's doing a new recording is "What's the gimmick this time?"

3. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Yep, more and more Neil seems to be more about the gimmick than the actual music. I can see how this could happen to a veteran musician (especially a creative and eccentric one like Neil). It probably keeps things interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't always produce good music.

4. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

I had to google who Chris Walden was. On his Facebook page he has a picture of the sessions and says it's the second day of "awesomely loud big band" music.

5. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

as long as there's more than one microphone.

also remember, this isn't the first time NY has recorded with a big orchestra.

RomanZ and footlooseman like this.
  6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This is okay with me if we also get Archives Vol. 2 and a live album from the last tour with Crazy Horse (and maybe something from the most recent solo acoustic shows at Carnegie Hall and elsewhere).

I'm not down with the sourpuss "gimmick" complaining at all. Let Neil's freak flag fly. He's here to be nuts and follow his muse, so deal with it. It's working out pretty well over the long run.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    hutlock, No Bull, dirie and 9 others like this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'll wait until I hear the music before passing judgement. It's only a gimmick if it doesn't work.. Too bad the Lonely Surfer is no longer with us. I'd love to have an album of Broken Arrow moments or There's A World. Yes, I think I'll hold judgement.

8. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

New music from Neil is always better than waiting for the vault stuff, in my opinion. He's endlessly creative, and his recent work has been among his best. Psychedelic Pill, Le Noise, Chrome Dreams 2- I've listened to these more than the classic albums

9. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

If you say so - I look on the shelf and see:

Living with War
    Fork in the Road
    Americana
    A Letter Home

which, collectively, have been played fewer times in my house than Everybody's Rockin' and then I throw in Chrome Dreams II, Le Noise, and Psychedelic Pill and I'm still more likely to put on Everybody's Rockin'.

Mostly I'm just tired of his whole shtick - his intellect is a mile wide and an inch deep and I really miss the days when you went five years without a public comment or interview during which time he would have recorded two or three great albums.

10. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

As long as he keeps releasing something it is perfect. I don't have to like all his stuff, but there are just two albums in his long catalogue that I don't understand and practically never listen to, which is an awesome ratio.

Razzle123 and RomanZ like this.
  11. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Double vinyl? $70? Will order, eh Rock?

rstamberg likes this.
  12. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Odd, my reaction is alright, some new songs.

No Bull, Nielsoe, JoeRockhead and 2 others like this.
  13. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Couldn't disagree more.It's time or reissue the rest of the 70's albums NOW. Time Fades Away,On The Beach,Tonight's The Night,Zuma,Rust Never Sleeps and Live Rust.On remastered cd and vinyl at least.I'm so tired of the procrastination and the excuses!

Muggles, Kubricker, bluerondo and 2 others like this.
  14. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

i want a rust never sleeps bluray and a complete cd of Live Rust restoring the original full-length "hey hey my my" and "cortez the killer".

15. I feel the same way. With Le Noise and Psychedelic Pill it looked like his career was finally back on the right track again. But with the pointless A Letter Home and now this it looks like we're back in Fork In The Road, Are You Passionate?, Greendale, Living With War territory.

16. Heart of Gold

I'm rather surprised for the negative comments here. Neil was on tour here in Europe just 2 weeks ago. This impressive activity should be an example for many...

Razzle123, No Bull, dirie and 5 others like this.
  17. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

The negative comments are wholly unrelated to his live performances - they're pretty much directed toward the perceived gimmickry of his original recordings over the last decade.

And, if one is being honest, the positive reviews of his live performances are overwhelmingly tilted toward his classic material... Not too many people screaming for "Johnny Magic"

Carserguev likes this.
  18. Every Neil Young thread: I want I want I want, me me me, Neil stop doing what you want to do I want this, this and this.

19. Heart of Gold

After an overseas tour, Neil at 68 could simply rest. There's Pono, Human Highway re-release, benefit shows, solo concerts planned ahead. Instead this weird guy seems to use the new energy from the positive feedback of the European crowds for creating new music. Really remarkable.

TonyACT, dirie, RomanZ and 6 others like this.
  20. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Oh come on! The guy's gone out of his way to ignore his back catalog for so long now it's become a joke.If he doesn't want to release the Archives 2 fine but at least have Reprise reissue the 70s albums that fans love and made him famous.

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Go Neil.

Mike Marshall, Jos79, dirie and 4 others like this.
  22. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Why can't you just listen to the versions you have? Just because something is remastered rereleased doesn't always make it better. How has he ignored his back catalog? It's not like you can't buy it. If you want 70s Neil pull out those old LPs , CDs and have a drink. I like all his stuff, quirks and all. At least he's not stuck in a rut.

[​IMG]

ego1jr, eelkiller, MrTrickle and 15 others like this.
  23. tomd

tomd Senior Member

And why do you keep making excuses for him? Fans want the old albums and some of us don't have mint originals or want to hunt down ones for $$$.He should just reissue them individually the way the first four were done.

Kubricker likes this.
  24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Wow, with all these negative comments you would have thought that instead of new Neil Young music being announced he dumped a bucket of ice water over his to raise awareness and money for a charity.

TonyACT, dirie, RomanZ and 3 others like this.
  25. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Do I want Archives 2 and TFA and dvds? Sure. But I'll take any new Neil Young.

Mainly because it's Neil Young.

hutlock, Jos79, TonyACT and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.