Neil Young: "Rust Bucket", Greendale Live, Archives vol. 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jakob Skjernaa Hansen, Aug 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jakob Skjernaa Hansen

Jakob Skjernaa Hansen Forum Resident Thread Starter

From Rolling Stone a minute ago:

rollingstone.com
    Neil Young Announces 1990 Crazy Horse Live Album/Film 'Way Down in the Rust Bucket'
    Andy Greene
    11-13 minutter
    Journalism That Matters. Music That Inspires.
    Subscriptions from just $4.99 a month.
    SEE MY OPTIONS
    August 13, 2020 2:03PM ET

Release chronicles a club show that Young played in Santa Cruz shortly after the release of Ragged Glory

[​IMG]
    Neil Young has announced release dates for a number of upcoming projects, including a club show he played with Crazy Horse in 1990.

Stuart Mostyn/Redferns/Getty Images

A special club gig that Neil Young and Crazy Horse played on November 13th, 1990 at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz, California, will be released as an album and film titled Way Down in the Rust Bucket on December 6th.

Young has previewed select songs from the show over the past few months on the Neil Young Archives, but the complete show has never been seen. It’s just one of many archival releases that Young is planning in the coming months.

According to a new post on the Neil Young Archives, Return to Greendale — which chronicles a 2003 stop on the Greendale tour — is also coming on November 6th. On that same day, he also plans on releasing the long-awaited second volume of his Neil Song Archives box set. There’s no information on the exact contents of that set, but it should focus on his work from 1973 to 1978.

Also in the works is the concert movie The Timeless Orpheum, which was filmed at the Orpheum Theater in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on January 28th, 2019. “It is a concert film with a lot of twists and turns,” Young writes, “telling my story and yours and our history together.”

As with everything else in Neil Young’s world, the dates for all of these projects should be seen as provisional. He has a long history of delaying plans once other projects grab his attention.

“In these days, like you, I have been staying at home as much as I can, and that’s a lot,” Young writes. “I have been working, staying busy with projects that have come into being because of the crisis we are sharing.”

The NYA Official Bootleg Series is yet another project he’s announced in recent weeks. It involves officially releasing famous Neil Young concerts that have been bootlegged over the years. “We have a lot of our masters, dating back to 1970 and possibly earlier, of bootlegs that have been released of my music in many forms,” Young writes. “We’re proud to stand with the outlaw companies who pioneered these releases in their desire to get this music out there.”

laf848, adamos, Sean and 11 others like this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Old news if you’re a subscriber to NYA.

But thanks to the OP, regardless.

Sean, Graham, kevin5brown and 2 others like this.
  3. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

The news, in this case, is the fact that it has now become, well, news outside the limits of NYA.
    See Neil? It has "leaked". You better not change your mind now... :agree:

4. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

I can't take another thread of disappointed people. :D

At least in the NYA thread we have all become complacent and accepting (well, most weeks).

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I don't know any of those bootlegs. But if there are 60s/70s live recordings with great quality to come out officially, then I'm interested.

kevin5brown likes this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Archives II in November? I'll believe it when it's in my hands. But '73 to '78 ? That hits the sweet spot for sure.

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

A great period for sure. If Archives 2 follows the same pattern as Archives 1, there may be the unfortunate recycling of Roxy: Tonight's The Night Live, Tuscaloosa, Hitchhiker, Songs For Judy, and Homegrown. If all of that content is recycled, it will be very disappointing.

9. Not Hitchhiker but they have already said the other 4 will be in it although the Homegrown songs will be formatted differently.In a letter reply last week Neil said that they will look at not including existing releases in Volume 3 although only the Hitchhiker session has been released so far from that period.Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here though.Even the article above which is characterised by naive enthusiasm talks about changed dates and delayed projects.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i thought they said they will NOT be in the set

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I hope you are right, but I think @Alan57 is correct that a number of the individual Archives releases will be recycled on the box set. It really doesn't make much sense and will undoubtedly increase the cost of the set, but it appears that is Neil's plan.

Matthew Tate and JoeF. like this.
  12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I doubt Songs for Judy would be included because it’s not comprised of one show, while the others I can see being included with extra content. I’d rather not have the buy them again though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The Crazy Horse club gig should be fun!

14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The Catalyst boots have been around forever, there are some great tunes that weren't included in the Weld tour. This will be a nice release.

JoeF. likes this.
  15. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Keep 'em coming.

Sean, JoeF. and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Anyone wanting to hear some Neil Young songs can go to Johnny Hickman (of Cracker) Facebook page, he's doing a Neil Young Tribute show right now.

Rubberpigg likes this.
  17. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

Plus there'll be official bootlegs of live material - Gonna be a great year of Neil Young material.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  18. Well in 8 months 35 minutes of admittedly great music with nothing else even up for preorder.Not my definition of a great year coming after 2019 when we got 1 50 minute live release.The Joni Mitchell release and the comments in the accompanying release shows that her Archives program has blown his out of the water in both structure and release schedule.And Neil had over 40 years head start.
    By the way whatever happened to The Times which was scheduled for release in 3 weeks time?

19. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

The "great quality" stuff - aka multitrack live recordings will continue to come out as Archive "Performance Series" CDs. These "official bootlegs" he is talking about are board tapes at best. He said they'll be better than the boots in circulation as they'll come from his masters (rather than a copy of a copy of a copy) but still... Think Zappa's 'Beat The Boots' series.

The performances may be great quality, but the sound quality...well I wouldn't bet on it.

20. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I believe Neil said its 1973-76. It was originally meant to be 1973-1982 (according to his late manager anyway) but Neil said there's too much for one box and that essentially what was originally meant to be Archives Vol II (the second decade of his career) will now be split into two volumes - though of course NOT released simultaneously.

However I wonder if it could have all fit into one box if he were to drop all of the duplicated content.

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well that's been his way of doing things since at least the turn of the century with the Buffalo Springfield box. Actually that was even worse because the duplicated content was all in the same box - almost all of the first two album's tracks appeared twice. If it had been twice as in both the stereo and mono mixes of the albums that would have been OK - but they were identical! So I'm not optimistic...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Why do you believe that has any relevance as to whether its included in the box or not? Most of his Archive live albums come from multiple shows.

I believe the only ones that DID all come from a single show were:

#2 - Fillmore East 1970
    #3 - Massey Hall 1971
    #4 - Tuscaloosa 1973

#1 - Riverboat 1969 was taken from multiple shows (all at the same venue, but still) and it was included on the first Archive box.

Anyway I believe the only "logic" Neil employs in deciding which discs to duplicate in the Archive box(es) is just whatever he "feels" he needs to include to best tell the "story" of his career *within* the confines of the box - sort of like he sees these boxes as being made for people who don't have any of his records and are getting the full picture of his career from the boxes alone, like he's catering to those people with the Archive boxes (like they're a super-bloated 'Decade' retrospective album). He certainly isn't catering to the people who already have all his albums with these boxes, since he included (duplicated) most of the songs from his studio albums on the Archive 1 box.

There's ultimately no way to predict exactly what he'll duplicate in the boxes. The only way to ensure that you don't buy anything twice is to ignore all of his individual Archive releases until after that era's Archive box comes out, and then individually buy the previously released ones that he hasn't duplicated - though if you did that you might be waiting several decades after its release date before picking up "Dreamin' Man (Live 1992)" (which came out in 2009).

Why would you expect the duplicated discs to include extra content? None of the Archive Vol 1 box set duplicated discs had extra content, AFAIK so why would he start now?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

@ wildstar. I'm not sure someone with no Neil Young albums in their collection would splash out on a huge box set.

Sean, Sidewinder43 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont wish anything bad on the man, I hope he lives to be 100+ but has anyone told this guy "Uh Neil, you aint getting any younger bud, maybe its time to stop fiddle assing about and get on with releasing this stuff?"

I dont know, maybe he has some master plan and has everything he wants done documented after he is gone.

Alan57 and Sidewinder43 like this.
  25. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Actually having all of Neil's albums from that period stopped me buying the first Archives set - as I recall between the duplication of live albums I had already bought, and then quite a percentage of tracks being previously released album tracks, I found there was little left to entice me to spend the money. And even the previously unreleased stuff, was Previously Unreleased Version or Previously Unreleased Mix of songs we were familiar with. It wasn't the great archives project I was hoping for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.