Neil Young - "Storytone" (2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Strange logic.

therebelsell likes this.
  2. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Nothing strange I don't like the album plain and simple.

3. vertigone

So why did you buy it?

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I went down to the sacred store, where I'd heard the music years before
    But the man there said the music wouldn't play...

I do remember being able to play the record, in the booth before buying.

5. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I'll take it off your hands if you dont want it.

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Checked my vinyl pre order at Diverse. Now price is up at £65 so cancelled. Looked at Amazon UK and £103 !!!!!!
    This is a double album - they've got to be joking. Many boxed sets are much cheaper.

7. Graham

Graham Senior Member

It's ridiculous, isn't it?! This should be priced at £25 or less.

Nielsoe and Dave Decadent like this.
  8. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

I don't stream before I buy all Neil's product is an automatic buy for me. Hate this album.

9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Scott S. likes this.
  10. vertigone

What do you hate about it?

11. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

im with What It Is on this one, does not move me at all.

12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I know we all have our own ways of processing new music, but if you love Neil enough that his albums are "automatic buy" ... shouldn't you live with it for more than, oh, 24 hours before you declare you hate it?

13. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

I love both the solo versions and orchestra/big band versions equally, great album, probably his best since Prairie Wind, though of course I love all of Neil's stuff, so just a little bias!

qtrules and Heart of Gold like this.
  14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Can't love this. Neil has completely lost his lyrical abilities IMO, and is now just singing his diary entrees.

carledwards, dino77 and klaatuhf like this.
  15. Oh, I get what you're saying. Too many of his lyrics these days are really on the sleeve. However, there are a few numbers on this album that delve a little deeper. I've only listened to it a couple of times, though.

All in all, about 6 songs stick out to me between their respective versions. "When I See You Sleeping" and "Say Hello to Chicago" both jump out musically and lyrically.

"I Want To Drive My Car" is a piece of crap, while "Glimmer" and "Plastic Flowers" are pretty damn good numbers, just not classic status.

Anyone listen to "Plastic Flowers" and recall that scene in Year of the Horse where Young & Crew burn those plastic flowers in the hotel room? I can't shake that image with the song.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  16. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I have been listening a lot to this album yesterday and today, both versions, and feel ready to declare it, not just good, but great. Forget all about "his best since", "latter day masterpiece" or all that bull. This is just a great album, moving, understated and above all, it's own. Yes I agree, it would be nice to hear Neil be less direct lyrically but I also think there's a little bit of that in some songs fx Plastic Flowers. He somehow seems to hit target with this one, even the slightly odd big band doesn't feel out of place, rather it seems to blend in nicely. It all adds up in providing the all important emotional punch. This is Neil doing what the hell he feels like (as usual) and succeeding .

qtrules, DLeet and Heart of Gold like this.
  17. vertigone

With the exception of "Who's Gonna Stand Up?" which is the low point of the album for me, the direct lyrics don't bother me this time. Maybe I'm just getting used to his current way of writing, or maybe they just work better with this subject matter, not sure.

But I know I prefer all of these songs over the other 2 recent new ones "Singer Without a Song" and "Hole in the Sky". I'm happy they didn't make the cut for this record. Relegate them to Archives 7. I'll be 100 years dead by the time that gets released.

18. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I really liked this album. The one with full arrangement could be described as happy, whimsical, lovely, and touching.. The roots of the recording are clearly in the orchestra tracks of Harvest and This Note's For You. Only this time, Neil sounds MUCH better with the orchestra. Quiet surprisingly. It is also interesting to hear how he is being inspired by his new passion. The solo version is also great. As up close and personal as Le Noise, only this time it's even more sparse and no effects. And! The man plays piano on most tracks. Just like old times! It was a joy to hear. Great mood, vibe, songs. While it will never be my favorite, this one is bound to have a special place in my heart.

The only tiny drawback - "Who's Gonna Stand up" due to trite lyrics. The melody and the song are nice per se. But the lyrics ruin it for me. Too obviously preachy. "It starts with you and me, damn the dams".. meh. What comes after is hilarious, because the third song starts with the words "I wanna drive my car" and later he sings in the same song "I need to find some fuel" :D And the fourth track is also about driving in a car. Heck, the car is even on the cover. So! He's either trolling or... well, I think it's rather his sense of humor. I'd would rather like to think that.

A great album, overall. Listened to both versions in a breeze. Great idea to release two versions, by the way. Should have done the same with Trans all those years ago. All in all - a successful experiment with an orchestra and a big band, and both types of band provide great contrast throughout the record. Some complain about the lyrics, but I like that that they are so personal... well, with the aforementioned exception of too preachy environmentalism. He used to do it much more effectively on "After a gold Rush" or "Pocahontas."

19. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Wanted to like it but no - won't buy it. Maybe next time...or next next time.

20. Archive II? :)

dino77 likes this.
  21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

is it a banjo that's being played on "tumbleweed"? it sounds lovely :)

22. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Probably!

23. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I thought it's closer to uke.

24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

It's a ukulele. First time for Neil on a record, right?

qtrules likes this.
  25. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

It's also peculiar how much more joyful this album is compared to Psychedelic Pill.. which was inspired by the opposite - not a new relationship, but the one falling apart. Such different moods.

Heart of Gold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.