Neil Young - The Monsanto Years - out on 16 June 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Les Nougat, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Trite, preachy lyrics about the government not having adequate programs for the homeless and drug addicted. Probably dashed off in 5 minutes. Who does he think he is? This song will never be remembered.

2. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I don' think that kind of Neil Young fan exists.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

which part? the part where he said i discovered neil in the last few years (dead wrong) or the part where he said i was a blind fanboy who loves everything neil has ever done (also dead wrong)?

as for your insult...maybe check the dictionary for the definition of "astute".

Zeki and JoeRockhead like this.
  4. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

The fact that Lou put a lot of effort into what I view as a terrible album makes it better? Neil put a lot of effort into Landing On Water, look where that got him.

5. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Neil did the "Light Up The Blues" benefit last night. He didn't play with Promise of the Real but he did do an acoustic version of my favorite of the Monsanto tracks with Stills. It's a great recording.

highway, Cassius and RayS like this.
  6. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

[​IMG]

Kevin j likes this.
  7. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Frankly, I've read this thread, and you seem to be describing yourself here with "blinkered" and "elitist". I've listened to Neil for 20+ years and still find him fascinating - why do you assume that everyone has the same experience as you do? Why is it blinkered to enjoy what Neil is doing now? I love Harvest, but I also love P-Pill, Le Noise, Fork in the Road, and Living With War. Because we enjoy Neil's new work and don't constantly harp back to the past, begging for Archives II outtakes, we are a "certain strain of NY fans". Yes, they're called "Neil Young fans".

Tropehjelm, ARK, Efus and 2 others like this.
  8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

The elitist element is when certain fans attack other fans who dare critizise anything NY does. Any criticism is met with: 'you're not a real fan', 'we don't need you', 'neil young doesn't need you'. You can look through this very thread to see examples or go to thrasherswheat.org. Hope that helps.

JoeF. likes this.
  9. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Fair enough - but, maybe you're not a fan anymore, if you don't like anything he does? There's no shame in it, just moving on. You really don't HAVE to combat fans about the integrity of your fandom.

highway and Efus like this.
  10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Perhaps not, but when you're talking about a man pushing 70 who's had serious health problems....and who has probably had " a little herbage" for the better part of 50 years....

11. This is actually a pretty good song. The melody really stuck in my head. However, I'd really love the chance to produce a Neil Young album one day. I'd be like, okay, so the bass is hanging out on the root, so what not have him play the 3rd of the root here, and maybe a nice slide guitar echoing this melody lime. Something to add a bit more flavor. Some spice. Neil, harmonize with yourself again. I could think of a million tiny tweaks and not overproduce the thing.

Man, when you're creeping up on 70 I say do whatever the hell you want to and go out happy on herb. Whatever it takes to feel good as you're fading out.

Efus likes this.
  12. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Good song. Nice to see Stills+Young performing together
    following that Springfield debacle.

13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yeah, who does he think he is, willie nelson?

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

hey, look, it's a ghost!

highway likes this.
  15. teag

teag Forum Resident

A child's response.

No Bull likes this.
  16. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I'm a big Neil Young fan (although he hasn't put out a truly great album for many years in my opinion) but Thrasherswheat is a mental site. Its great for news but the comments are insane. My favourites are when someone responds to a post critising Neils current output with some of his lyrics. Its a strange, strange place.

Although I don't rate a lot of his recent work I would rate 'Ramada Inn' as one of his all time great songs. An amazing piece of work.

davers and dino77 like this.
  17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yeah, but Willie is in a category of his own--like Keith, and that senator--I forgot his name-who was still in office at 100 years of age a few years ago. They just a have this mysterious "life force', a kind of immunity to anything that would kill mere mortals like the rest of us. ..

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yeah, that "thrasher" guy is the definition of fanboy. i've never seen him post one critical word of neil.

19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Off topic, but the worst fan boys of all are Madonna fan boys. I remember making a comment about her on some website years ago, and the flack I got? You would have thought I'd advocated stepping on little kittens...

20. Man, I don't doubt the Madonna fan boys, but the biggest I have seen are the Syd Barrett fans. It's as if the guy walked on water, right after he invented it! There's no talking to them.

As for Neil, I consider myself a "Rustie," simply by virtue of how long I've been listening to Neil Young and how fanatical I can be about unreleased songs and certain live performances...but none of that, none of that means to me that the guy can do no wrong. Neil has done plenty of BS stuff, and I'll be the first to admit that his lyrics lately have been wack. But I listen. If I don't like it, big deal. If anybody else doesn't like it, even less of a deal.

vertigone, dino77, Zeki and 1 other person like this.
  21. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Its a shame because the site is a great resource for Neil news.

22. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Actually, a case could be made that Neil does "need you" based on his dwindling album and concert ticket sales over the years. Plus, according to him, he supposedly does need the money so you could make a case that he might not want to lose more fans. Of course he's always going to go his own way no matter the cost but it's not like he's selling a million copies of each albums and selling out arenas or sheds nationwide. He's lost a lot of fans along the way in the last 20 or 25 years since the "Godfather of Grunge"/Harvest Moon era.

dino77 likes this.
  23. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I definitely agree on Ramada Inn. I wish there were more recordings like that in the last ten or fifteen years. It is on level that is with or at least close to his best work. I wish he would hold himself closer to that standard and put out less music and take more time to write great songs. I'd rather see a good to great Neil album every three to five years than just see his every random whim come out.

klaatuhf and Wild Frank like this.
  24. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Maybe it's time for me to give Psychelic Pill another spin. Initial response was too much (song length) and not enough (substance)

No Bull likes this.
  25. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

God I love Psychedelic Pill. When it came out..it was all I listened to for several weeks. If i could have dreamed up a perfect Neil album...this would be the one for me.

AZRunner and DmitriKaramazov like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.