Neil Young - The Monsanto Years - out on 16 June 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Les Nougat, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

That's a pretty good analogy, but to make it even better, lets say the parent makes plans with the kids to visit the amusement park, then cancels them at the last minute at least once a month for something like five years - that's a pretty fair comparison to Neil's behaviour. After that I'd say the parents either owe the kids at least one amazingly over-the-top kick-a$$ day at the amusement park to make up for it, or a massively huge apology for their willful psychological abuse.

Like I said in an above post, Neil should probably keeps his mouth shut about the Archives, instead of constantly making unfulfilled promises about them.

If he kept his mouth shut, then everything that comes out would be a welcome, happy surprise to the fans.

With him constantly spouting off for the last 25+ years about all the Archive goodies that are "coming soon", I'd say he's demanding far more from his fans in patience, than they are of him.

He's the one making all the unfulfilled promises. The only thing the fans are guilty of, is holding him to his word.

2. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

OK - How about the newer reply (my point #2), or do you actually believe that a remaster of an album released 40 years ago is "new music" in the same way that a newly recorded album, or previously unreleased Archive album is?

3. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Did anyone see the screening last night? Dying to read reports on how these new songs sound!

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"'Monsanto'....sounds like a bubble in the bathtub......"

5. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Does anyone know the ticketmaster pre-sale code?

6. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I did. The new songs are...not my favorite batch of songs. Musically, there are moments when it gets cooking and Neil makes Old Black scream and wail, and the PotR guys add some nice instrumentation throughout the album, but the lyrics are heavy handed. Monsanto gets named in many songs as does Starbucks and Walmart and Safeway and GMO's, etc.

There's an acoustic/harmonica based song called "Wolf Moon" which is a little less overt lyrically and pretty nice. My favorite song is the last song (if the running order on the movie matches the record) called something like "If I Don't Know What I'm Doing". The lyrics are still about the environment, but it's done with a bit more subtlety and I look forward to hearing that one again.

Anyway, I recorded audio of his brief intro to the movie.

7. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Kind of off topic...

Before "The Monsanto Years" I watched "Muddy Track" the 1987 European Crazy Horse tour documentary and it was great - noisy and crude and funny. Neil and Jim Jarmusch spoke and did a Q&A following that. Unfortunately, I was unable to ask about Archives II because it was pretty obvious that they wanted to keep the discussion on his films. For those in the area, Jarmusch is doing a Q&A following tonight's showing of "Year of the Horse".

[​IMG]

8. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Jim Jarmusch had nothing to do with Muddy Track, why would he be participating in that discussion?

9. After reading Graham Nash's book, it struck me that there's a positive co-relation between cocaine use and sense of self-importance, and that for the rich and artsy, that can manifest itself in believing there's nobility in activism. And while there certainly is nobility in activism, let's not pretend that it necessarily goes hand in hand with artistic merit. A song will live and die on its quality, and when Neil writes good songs that also have messages, the message doesn't detract from the quality of the song for me. I think the biggest problem is when the lyrics are ham-handed or overly obvious -- lazy songwriting is lazy songwriting, even if backed by a good cause. I just think artists sometimes get blinded by the belief that because they're (subjectively) on the moral high ground, everybody should buy their music, even if it's subpar.

Carserguev, ARK, JoeF. and 4 others like this.
  10. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

There's a murky recording of the "secret gig" starting to make the rounds. I've listened to the new songs. Some of the words are hard to hear because of the recording. The songwriting seems to be on par with Fork In The Road, meaning there are plenty of weak and awkward lyrics. The first new song from the show is very self aware. I think it is called "People Want To Hear About Love" or something like that. The main pattern is "don't sing about <insert political issue here> / People want to hear about love" which shows that he knows what we're thinking when he does stuff like this.

The backing band sounds good (from what I can tell on the recording), so musically it will be interesting to me. Then again, I buy all his stuff regardless...

JoeRockhead and Heart of Gold like this.
  11. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Because he had nothing better to do last night?

Of course, he did use parts of Muddy Track in Year of the Horse so there's that.

12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

He did use portions of it in Year of the Horse

13. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I doubt that is the case here. He even addresses this in the title cut of Fork in the Road, verses like, 'my sales have tanked' or whatever it was. Neil is not saying 'everybody should by my music.' He's never said that. I think he honestly doesn't care what anyone thinks of what he is doing.

Zeki, PoeRaider and EVOLVIST like this.
  14. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

15. Harold Lepidus

Harold Lepidus Well-Known Member

My report - Neil Young at ‘Monsanto Years’ film preview in New York (Short version)
    http://exm.nr/1OjpjJ0 With slideshow and track list ... More detailed version on the way ...

DmitriKaramazov and goodboyfred like this.
  16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

For anyone interested, the CD or album download comes free with the purchase of a concert ticket.

Just got mine for Jones Beach.

17. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

but if it was another Harvest Moon you'd buy it ?

18. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I didn't say that.

19. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I remember we drove to the amusement park that we'd been to in previous summers only to find it had been torn down.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I remember my family driving all way from Chicago to California only to find that the amusement park was closed for repairs. I THINK that was my family, anyway.

21. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

LWW is worth it just to see that clip on the "Deja Vu Live" film where an interviewer says "Let's Impeach the President"? - What's that about Neil?" Brilliant!

22. Willful psychological abuse? Jesus, do you hear yourself? That's insane.

When did he PROMISE it to you? So you've never heard of plans changing? As a Neil Young fan I would assume you had. Because he's said he wants to do something or wants something to come out, he HAS to do that no matter what? Or it's "psychological abuse"? Good lord.

It's not a good analogy at all.

23. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Holiday Ro-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-oad

ARK, JoeF. and Brother Maynard like this.
  24. When did Neil promise you it would be out?

That's not even getting into the whole you're comparing your reaction to the reaction of a child.

25. Friggin' Neil, eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.