Neil Young - The Monsanto Years - out on 16 June 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Les Nougat, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

He did the same thing in 2012 for Americana, that's how I got my copy. I think it's 1 per ticket. This undoubtedly helps with chart position as it counts as a copy sold.

2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I'll say it this way WolfsHead, before we get back to the Monsanto release.

Archives 2 was supposedly in "full production" as of March 2014 per Archives Guy:
    http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2014/03/archives-guy-with-some-neil-young.html

Also in spring last year a bunch of other internet news outlets quoted from the same RS story about Archives being "out soon":

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/...ls-of-archives-vol-2-due-out-later-this-year/
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/neil-young-archives-vol-2/

So there was plenty of reason for fans to expect it last year. Instead we got 2 new releases from Neil. Maybe not a bad deal, huh? So yes, to agree w/ you Neil did not make that promise. I think people are still sensitive to his broken promise about continuing updates to the Blu Ray version of Archives 1. That was a promise, made and, alas, broken.

"Monsanto Monsanto
    You're not as good as Ron Santo"

EVOLVIST, vertigone and JoeRockhead like this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

I understand Neil is "getting political" on the new release, but I'm hoping that in working with Willie's sons, he's found a simpatico group, and that will show in the music. I loved the in your face raucousness of Fork in the Road. Living with War just left as as "meh". Reactor is a better record than Living with War. That's a fun one to got back to.
    eh, that's all I got peace out

4. DmitriKaramazov

5. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Archives Vol.2 is completed, at least the audio part. All the tracks mastered according to Archives Guy. I think his release isn't so far.

qtrules likes this.
  6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Listening to the "secret gig" at the moment.

Somehow appropriate to this thread (before it took an Archives tangent), "People Want to Hear About Love" appears to be about people not wanting to hear songs about issues (like "People don't want to hear about pesticides causing autism, People want to hear about love".) So perhaps he knows why his "sales have tanked", and he doesn't care.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"I want a cup of coffee, but I don't want a GMO,
    I like to start my day off without helping Monsanto."

Zeki likes this.
  8. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Nope, not biting. I was a die-hard Neil guy 70's-80's-90's but he's burned his bridges with me to the point that I'm on the verge of ditching all the stuff I have...yeah, that bad. He's turned into a cranky old misinformed get off my lawn you kids ***** that it's ruined any enjoyment I once had for his stuff.

mark ab and dino77 like this.
  9. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Yeah....so it's "Living with War" only lamer (if that's indeed possible). Sheesh, Neil...maybe try taking more than 2 minutes to write a lyric and really think about it for a moment instead of tossing off the first inane crap that runs through what's left of your brain.

Mr Class & Quality? likes this.
  10. Les Nougat

Les Nougat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been listening to the secret gig since last night and have to say I'm mightily impressed by The Promise of the Real. They are a worthy backing band with guitar interplay (by I'm assuming the Nelson brothers) with Neil that harks back to the Danny Whitten days. Even if the lyrical content of the new songs isn't to some people's tastes the guitar work promises to make this album a good one. Hopefully he'll start posting previews of the album on his website soon.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  11. Note: Not a single song from Storytone. He got that one out of his system fast. Heh.

GregK likes this.
  12. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Ticket prices are insane. What a shame, I was looking forward to going.

13. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Couldnt fit the orchestra on stage in a club. Whats your point? About 40 other albums he played Zero songs from.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  14. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

For the best seats, yes. But you can get a ticket for $40 to the MI show and that includes all the fees, a copy of the new album, and Band of Horses opening. That's a pretty good deal actually.

Heart of Gold and JoeRockhead like this.
  15. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

This could all be a moot point if the TPP passes. Let's pray not!

16. Only that Storytone will have been out a mere 7 months by the time the new album drops in June, which seems to support my theory that the older Neil gets the more he lives for this moment only. Most people would still be out supporting the last album, but not ol' Neil.

Sure, he has a back catalog dating back to 1966 (or earlier), yet he plays "Country Home" twice?

Plus, you know as well as I do that Storytone had solo numbers on it, despite Neil's efforts to fit an orchestra in a phonebooth.

Just an observation.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  17. Les Nougat

The secret show is now up on youtube. Here's "People Want To Hear About Love"

melstapler likes this.
  18. Les Nougat

"A New Day For The Planet"

melstapler likes this.
  19. Les Nougat

"Too Big Too Fail"

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  20. Les Nougat

"GMO-Starbucks"