Neil Young - The Visitor

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Sep 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

All these free streaming services, including the Neil new site, don't help either. At the end, why should anyone pay when everything is free?
    I don't know the deal with Warner, but how much is expensive paying all the studio, producer, musicians and artist fees?

2. This shows
    1 How much of Neil's audience have jumped off the bus with regards to new music.
    2How much people like this are putting out new music for the love of it rather than expecting it will find more than a tiny audience
    3How much he needs an income stream from Archives projects particularly as his health issues from last year suggest full time life on the road may not be possible.
    Like the album .Just need to press stop after track 6.

3. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yeah...I listened to it via that NPR stream
    Also, compare that the debut of "The Hitchhiker" which came in a 20 for it's debut.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  4. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I bought the vinyl lp for cheap on Amazon. Still haven't heard the lp yet. Waiting for my record to enjoy his latest.

5. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

The Visitor made it to No 65 in the UK chart. That must represent very small sales.

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I just bought the cd and I’m on the 4th song, listening for the first time.

So far it feels like another album he put a weekends worth of effort into. Not bad but verry literal and topical songwriting. Vocals are a bit raspy and the SQ of this cd isn’t outstanding.

7. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

According to buzzjack, it sold 3244 copies, think this includes physical, download and streaming equivalent (which will be a tiny proportion).

Maybe not the best business sense to release a new album 12 weeks or so after Hitchhiker, but I admire his single mindedness to get new material out whenever he pleases.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  8. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

..... but how can "physical" include vinyl when it hasn't been released yet? (Vinyl release coming January 5th)

9. Given the market share of vinyl you could add another 150 to the total.

10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I couldn't do that, I'd be missing my clear cut favorite track on the entire record, "Forever".

Heart of Gold, adamos and vertigone like this.
  11. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Charting at 167?? I think that could literally be the equivalent of selling like 700 copies in today's market.
    EDITED: I DID NOT SEE at first that above the actual sales figures were already there, over 3000. Surprised that didn't amount to higher charting.

12. wallpaperman

Who mentioned vinyl? A CD is a 'physical' product.

13. wallpaperman

Just to clarify, the figure I quoted of 3244 is reported UK sales.

14. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe pre-orders count? I don't know for sure.

15. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I found this one a little more interesting (maybe a bit more "classic Neil" sounding, I guess) than most of his other recent albums. But, yeah, it still has that tossed off feeling that makes it seem like not much effort was put into it.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I need to play it a few more times. My tubes weren’t warmed up and it’s been awhile since I’ve spun a silver but I really thought the sound was dull if not grainy. Made me question if something was failing in my system

17. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Vinyl mastered from 192/24 digital and cut by Chris Bellman. Not a particulary great sounding recording is my initial impression* but still a pretty good Neil Young album...

*The more acoustic tracks sounds better

18. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I noticed it's shortcomings in SQ when I played it before and after Cellar Door.

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Well, it's Friday January 5th and Amazon has NOT shipped my LP, nor do they supposedly have any in stock. Is Amazon punishing me because I got in on the $13.99 price?

Complier likes this.
  20. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Free downloads easily attainable and streaming killed the commercial value of music, that is the end of the story.

Oyster Boy and Heart of Gold like this.
  21. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Same here. My order page claims it will be delivered by 8 pm today, but it has not shipped yet.

Complier likes this.
  22. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Worth waiting for. Nice gatefold, booklet and an etching on side 4. And cheaper than Hitchhiker. Great album.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The just released vinyl is currently very pricey on Amazon UK (£33.94). Waiting to see if this drops substantially.

24. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Paid 160 dkr today, about £20, at local store.

25. tbugsett

tbugsett Forum Resident

Strange. LP's are almost always cheaper in the UK than here in Norway. But the standard price here is between £15-£18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.