Neil Young-Time Fades Away official CD thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leaman, Oct 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

All just pi55ing in the wind...

2. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Totally understand but I already have the other titles. The only one I don’t have is Time and can’t justify buying 3 other titles I already own.

rodentdog likes this.
  3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

They are remastered. Tonight's the Night is meant to be a vast improvement. But I kinda understand, especially as On the Beach was remastered in 2003. I was on the fence for a long time, and I still think Neil is a bit greedy here.

4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I'm not on Neil's payroll, but I'll just reiterate, the sonic improvement to Tonight's the Night is indeed vast. You can just crank it, and it sounds GREAT.

I spun that one first (before Time Fades), and immediately knew I'd made the right decision to spring for the box.

qtrules, davers and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  5. Instant Karma

I didn't realize Tonight was such a large improvement. Now I'm going to have to look for the box. I did do some preliminary checking and see that it is scarce and also very expensive. A little frustrating.

6. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

The previous TTN era pretty good.

7. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Individual cd up for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk for 9th December 2018 release.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  8. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

It's a bootleg release of an audience.

Mbd77 likes this.
  9. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

Love the fact that he finally released this via Original Archive Series Volume Two. What's difficult to accept is the fact that it's been forty-five years--I understand that he doesn't particularly care for that period in his life; however, Time Fades Away is a treasure of a document that captures a man ragged and speeding and bleeding on top despite a soon-to-be failed marriage, a child with disability, and various other bouts of adversity--and he refuses to release it on CD proper. It's really tragic because some of his most compelling originals can be found on this album--namely, "Don't Be Denied" and "L.A."

The fans who already have all the albums shouldn't be punished by being forced to purchase the box--though, in fairness: Shakey & Co. did a beautiful job on the O.A.S. Boxes (the insert to Tonight's The Night alone pays for the set!). I still am of the opinion that this will eventually be released as a single issue--though Shakey doesn't seem overly concerned with promptness on this.

- siyt

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  10. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Disappointment lurks...

highway and setlistthief like this.
  11. setlistthief

setlistthief Forum Resident

Yeah, it's not a plea. It's a command.

Leaman likes this.
  12. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I got the hi res download version and it sounds pretty great. Of course I have the vinyl as well.

13. Instant Karma

I broke down and bought the 4 cd set, Discs 5 - 8 pre owned. I have a question for someone who has this. My copies of Time and On The Beach do not have separate cd sleeves, but Tonight and Zuma do. Is that the way this set was issued? Thanks for your help.

14. anth67

That's correct. But they should each have inserts.

Instant Karma likes this.
  15. Instant Karma

Ok thanks. Yes they do have inserts. That’s very strange that there are no sleeves. I appreciate you responding because I was getting ready to contact the seller. Thank you.

16. anth67

Since these are mini-lps, apparently those two didn't have special sleeves like the other two did. Presumably they'd've had the plain white ones (?) but that wouldn't constitute "original artwork"...so for cds, why bother? So I imagine the reasoning went.

17. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I'd like it individually available. Maybe many on here can afford to buy a damn box for one CD, but I can't.

unclefred and Leaman like this.
  18. Leaman

Leaman Has a foggy notion Thread Starter

Although I have the box, I agree that it should be released separately. Fans waited a hell of a long time to get this album on CD, and it would be nice if they could purchase it however they like.

Galley, fatwad666, Jimmy B. and 2 others like this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I still think it is very odd that this box set went out of print (with no release of the individual titles), as well as the 8.5-12 set. Neil has made such an issue out of sound quality over the years, yet nine of his most revered albums remain individually in print in inferior masterings when great remasters are available. It is really baffling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.