Neil Young unannounced show last night (4-16-15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by drewslo, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was doing my radio show last night in Morro Bay and a friend of mine texted me that he was five feet away from Neil Young at SLO Brewing Co. in San Luis Obispo. Neil played an unannounced show backed by the Lukas Nelson Band. Tickets were just $10.00 and nothing was revealed about the show until about an hour before show time. SLO Brewing is a small club that holds maybe 300 people. Neil did two sets mostly new material. Among the older songs he did "Country Home", "Down By The River", "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere", "Walk On", "Love And Only Love" and "Roll Another Number". When my radio show ended I headed over to the club and saw Neil do the encore (Roll Another Number). Neil left in one of his cool old cars (Lincoln Continental?). My friend flagged him down and got an album autographed. Pretty amazing. I live three blocks away from the club so I was bummed I had my radio show last night! Anyway, Neil is back to his old tricks.

2. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

i'm just....i'm all.....just.....gah.

no fair, i want.

3. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I believe I read (on here) that Neil is working on an album with Lukas Nelson.

4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

that's great neil, but why couldn't you have done this last saturday at green flash brewing in san diego when i was there??

5. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

Lukas cancelled a January show here in Chico at the last minute to work on an album with Neil. He was supposed to reschedule but at this point it appears he's gonna blow us off.

6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

no offense to chico (sierra nevada brewery either), but he made the right choice. you give neil a minute to think about things and he's likely to record an solo record of celene dion covers instead.

7. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

I don't think anybody blames him for going off with Neil, but it would be nice if he would honor his commitment and have the show, a benefit for community radio, at a later time.

8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

hell, you never know...maybe he will honor that commitment with neil at the helm.

chicofishhead likes this.
  9. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Do you know how many new songs? Did your friend give any impressions on the new material? Is it more songs about fracking and pipelines?

10. drewslo

500Homeruns likes this.
  11. dirie

dirie Forum Resident

12. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Or just played where he did 24 hours earlier when I was in Morro Bay!

13. drewslo

14. footlooseman likes this.
  15. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Wow. I spent the night in San Luis Obispo last week. Sorry I missed this.

16. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Saw Lucas playing w his dad maybe 3 weeks ago in Austin. Willie stepped aside mid set and let Lucas take lead on a cover of Texas Flood that was well received. I will be curious to hear any recordings that come out this collaboration.

17. Jack

Jack Senior Member

SHTV quote of the week.

DLeet and whatwhat like this.
  18. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Those guessed song titles on the Uncut page don't bode well, lyrically, and would appear to be more of Young's recent heavy-handed pro-environmental, anti-big business approach. The clip above, however, of the band jamming was great.

19. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.