Neo Psych Fans: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard..Far Out!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Nov 22, 2015.

1. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I have a ticket to the SF show but can't find anyone to go with. I like this band enough that I'll probably go anyway.

latheofheaven and Scope J like this.
  2. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Heh heh heh... That is quite an opening mate, sorta like the...

bzfgt likes this.
  3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The similarity to the is uncanny!

latheofheaven likes this.
  4. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I'd love to see them in Montreal.

5. latheofheaven

Dohhhhhhh... I think Sauron knows what 'opening' I'm talking about... :D

BTW, good for you Sauron! I hope the show is great. Most here seem to be saying so.

bzfgt likes this.
  6. bzfgt

I think I figured it out now too...I almost liked it better when it didn't make sense; not everything should make sense.

ODShowtime and latheofheaven like this.
  7. latheofheaven

That's true... That is what you get for thinking too hard! But, don't think anything TOO evil now... I'm referring to his Avatar :)

bzfgt likes this.
  8. bzfgt

What could be more evil than that?!

9. latheofheaven

Good point!

bzfgt likes this.
  10. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

After seeing their name pop up in so many places the last couple years, I finally checked out Nonagon Infinity the other day and was instantly hooked. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do!

I'm always a fan of things that are slightly silly or knowingly ridiculous, but only if the artist in question is 100% committed to the execution. These guys are undeniably committed.

bzfgt and latheofheaven like this.
  11. latheofheaven

BTW, I frigg'n LOVE Spaceman 3! [​IMG] I think I have 3 or 4 of their albums on vinyl...

bzfgt likes this.
  12. bzfgt

I went off them when NI came out. I like it for any stretch of 2-3 songs, but it always strikes me as too same-y for me to listen all the way through at one time. I got burnt on them for a while and aside from highlights on YouTube, it looks like I've missed a good handful of albums. I've been meaning to catch back up.

But, insofar as NI is their most lauded album, I think it's overrated....

13. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

No, at this point, most people feel that Poligonawanaland (their free album) is their best one. It's my favorite.

14. bzfgt

I was going by RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/king-gizzard-and-the-lizard-wizard

Twice as many votes and higher rating for NI.

I also remember a huge hype when NI came out, but that's unreliable because there could have been as much or more hype for Polygondwanaland and I could have just missed it.

I missed Polygondwanaland entirely, I think--I don't recognize any of the titles. I heard a few things since NI, there was the Balrog thing, and something from Flying Microtonal Banana that was getting raves but didn't blow me away. I will now listen to Polygondwanaland; to this point my faves are I'm in your Mind Fuzz and Quarters.

15. bzfgt

Also it seems Gumboot Shoe gets relatively less love, but I listened to some of that last might and my first impression has it as one of the better ones.

Is it just me with Nonagon Infinity--do people not lose patience and feel like it all sounds much alike?

16. bzfgt

My first impression of Polygondwanaland is very positive...

17. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

Not for me. Robot Stop, Big Fig Wasp and Gamma Knife in succession live are great.

bzfgt likes this.
  18. bzfgt

OK, I say I get bored after at most three songs on the album, and you say you disagree because you like three in a row live...I must be missing something.

19. latheofheaven

Kind of agree on that one... Some of their albums (to me) are VERY repetitive, and others are 'better' and I feel the song writing is stronger. Just my lowly and wretched impressions...

bzfgt likes this.
  20. latheofheaven

Yeah, that is (to me again...) one of their much stronger albums. I REALLY like the varied and more complex (less repetitive) song compositions... (BTW, I don't mind 'repetitive' if it's done 'well'... With Psychedelia, you do have a lot of that)

Okay... I feel compelled to come back here and confess... o_O

I just ordered Gumboot Soup... [​IMG]

I know... I know... I'm an idiot... [​IMG]

But, I just now went back and listened to the Amazon snippets again, and damn if I didn't like ALL the songs better... What a Wee Wee head I am... I don't know WHAT the hell I was smokin' (or more likely NOT smok'n) that day, or which 2x4 I had up my @..., but I really liked it a LOT better today. Also, Honey (the app, sadly, not a chick...) informed me that the price had dropped $4.xx or so today, so, yeah... I snagged it.

Just thought I would come back here, confess, rip my garments apart and cover myself with sackcloth and ashes, and do my penance... :doh:

And, besides, that orange / black smoke vinyl is gonna be PH***n awesome! :D

Ahhhhhhhh..... I think I see things MUCH clearer now...

[​IMG]

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and bzfgt like this.
  21. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

The album Brunswick featuring the mild high club is a freaking modern psych jazz masterpiece. I have listened to it ten times in a row at this point and since I just discovered the album it has become my April flavor of the month.

22. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

:shtiphat:

23. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...here’s how I rate the albums I have.

1. I’m In Your Mind Fuzz
    2. Sketches Of Brunswick East
    3. Gumboot Soup
    4. Flying Microtonal Banana
    5. Polygondwanaland
    6. Nonagon Infinity

...I love their songs like this one. Psych pop?? Whatever you want to call it. I call it badass :cool::thumbsup:

latheofheaven and bzfgt like this.
  24. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...I think everyone needs to hear this one if they haven’t already. This would be my recommendation as a first album purchase most definitely.

I’m In Your Mind Fuzz, 2014

bzfgt likes this.
  25. latheofheaven

Hmmm, interesting... Just shows I guess how we all resonate to different things.

However, this song (I don't know which album it is on) is very good. It's one of their more really laid-back Popish ones, but I think it is very good. I will haft to relisten to the specific album that you suggest above again. After all, I DID end up liking Gumboot Soup much better the 2nd time :)

Cheers! [​IMG]

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.