Netflix DVD shipping discs out of order

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spitfire, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member Thread Starter

Netflix has started to ship discs from my queue out of order for the second time recently which has never happened before. Wonder what's going on? They shipped something that was 10 in my queue and all the ones above it are available. Anybody else have this happen?

2. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Shipping #2 on my list has happened to me many times, even though there was no indication that #1 was unavailablle

Shipping #10 on my list has never happened to me, and I’ve had a disc subscription for at least ten years.

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yeah, about twelve years ago when I used to use that service. Not a dig, only mentioning as I thought was fairly expected behavior, even back then (at least on the first four or five discs in the list).

Annoying if you had TV series discs added, but that was what DVD Decrypter was for. Rip em and return em, watch them in order later.

quicksrt and Zeroninety like this.
  4. Spitfire

I usually have 10 in my queue plus the 3 I have out and this is the second time in a row they shipped my bottom selection.

5. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I've noticed this before as well; it is a little bit of a crap shoot as to what movie you will get next. I think it is a function of two intersecting concepts: 1) how many copies does Netflix own?; 2) which DVDs are available at Netflix's regional distribution centers nearest you?

IN 2002, Netflix announced the opening of ten regional distribution centers. Netflix seems reasonably concerned to get movies to consumers as efficiently as possible.

All you can really do is make sure you are interested in the three (or four) movies at the top of your queue. Inevitably, these movies are not all equal in my eyes -- I always list the one I want first, but have to be satisifed with receiving the second or third in my queue. If I'm lucky (do you feel lucky, punk?), I'll get my number one choice next time.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Netflix still ships?

7. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Haven't known anyone who's had them mailed in over a decade and the website doesn't advertise the option.

LivingForever likes this.
  8. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

https://dvd.netflix.com/Welcome

9. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I think they are trolling you, so you just cancel. But for real

1) do they offer titles not available via streaming?
    2) cheaper than redbox?

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Spitfire

I was waiting for the inevitable comments about physical media. Yes, they still ship DVDs and Blu-rays. I still prefer watching rental movies this way on my TVs.

905, Pawnmower, Jrr and 3 others like this.
  11. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I don’t necessarily prefer discs over streaming, but I like to watch current theatrical releases that I missed in the theater. Netflix streaming has become all about original content, which I am not that interested in.

bmasters9 likes this.
  12. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I got rid of the disc service a couple years ago when I couldn't get them to ship me a new movie that was at the top of my queue for 6 months(!). After a couple calls of inquiry, and an oh well attitude from them (they told me it was a matter of timing;) ), I canceled. I imagine it's only getting worse. Maybe it was my area, and others I talked to didn't have that particular problem, but a 6 month wait for a new movie was intolerable.
    I also experienced out of order shipping with no indication the ones above were not available. I don't miss it.

13. townsend

townsend Senior Member

1) Yes, yes, and yes. The titles they offer on the DVD rental plan are way better (more stuff available) than the streaming plan. I have compared the two, and almost every month, I will read an article online on what has been added by Netflix for the upcoming month. What a paltry mishmash of crappy movies, for the most part. Also with streaming, they are constantly "shuffling the deck," taking away movies.

2) It is not cheaper than Redbox. But Redbox seems to major in the mainline Hollywood hits. E.g., I just got Sleeping Dogs on my Netflix DVD rental plan. It came out in 1977, and was the first feature film to star Sam O'Neill. You will never find movies like that on Redbox. Or the film Tyrannosaur. For more independent, non-blockbuster films, Netflix DVD plan is far superior to Redbox.

gillcup, Spitfire and brownie61 like this.
  14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I still have discs shipped. Definitely cheaper than Redbox when you factor in late fees when I don't watch them right away. I've never had them not ship them in order for me, but I don't usually ask for the most popular new releases.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Netflix have sometimes sent me more discs than agreed, so I can forgive them for an out of order title coming - especially if it makes for faster delivery overall.

btw, I decrypt all of my discs for later viewing on my demand. I've actually enjoyed dealing with those few discs that think they are above being ripped to files.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  16. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I had no idea that Netflix still shipped DVDs. On my radar now....

17. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Selection for disc rentals is massively larger than streaming. Streaming selection is ridiculous.

Discs are also much better quality for many with crappy bandwidth.

Pawnmower, townsend, chacha and 2 others like this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, but selection is not what it was for netflix rentals. lots of previous titles left unreplaced when they get lost, etc.

19. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

As for shipping out of order, they do this to me occasionally. But it's usually an extra disc beyond my rental plan, of a title that had a long wait.

One frustrating thing about disk rental is when you pay extra for Blu-ray, but they only stock DVDs for titles that also have Blu-ray releases. It doesn't happen a lot, and it's still likely a title that wouldn't be available for streaming.

20. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I still get physical discs (mostly Blu-rays) from Netflix. As others have pointed out, the selection is far greater that what is available via streaming or from Redbox. I hope they don't terminate this option. Watching on Blu-ray is my favorite way to watch video. The quality is great and I don't have to deal with internet issues.

Spitfire likes this.
  21. I was thinking the same thing. Thought it was only streaming now.

22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

They split off the disc service some years back.

Honestly, if I was a big movie watcher that's not B movies or original content, I would think this is still a good service. Netflix's overall streaming offering is still lacking and given their focus on original content I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon.

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

They barely have any top recent movies for streaming. I still subscribe to DVD/Blu Ray delivery for that reason. The streaming is great for TV series.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Mazzy likes this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah it’s a joke for films. Pathetic. I don’t get it.

25. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I noticed this too, before I canceled. Some of those are out of print. In the early days of the service, there were some pretty obscure titles, which eventually disappeared. I was able to get the 4 or 5 disc massive Bondarchuk's War and Peace, the anamorphic version, which also eventually disappeared.
    I also noticed that they never got some titles that were readily available, and were on the save list the entire time I was a member.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.