Netflix DVD shipping discs out of order

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spitfire, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It’s all about licensing for streaming. Not necessary with dvd rentals.

chacha likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes that makes sense. Didn’t think of that. What’s odd to me is if they have such trouble licensing titles for streaming why does Netflix act like their DVD/BluRay rental service doesn’t exist.

3. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Their corporate goal is clearly original programming at this time.

I would guess that the DVD/Blu Ray Rental program represents a very small percentage of their total sales and they will drop the physical media rental service the second it stops making a profit.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member Thread Starter

chacha likes this.
  5. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

If Netflix ever stops the DVD rentals, how is someone going to be able to legally rent movies that aren't streaming. Is there anything with an equivalent selection as Netflix DVD rentals? Amazon streaming rentals doesn't have near the selection as Netflix physical media. Just have to buy the physical discs I guess. Seems like we will go back to pre-Blockbuster days in some ways.

905 likes this.
  6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Surprised that they have separate pricing for Blu Ray, but suspect that it is driven by sliding costs.

Bigger question, since I haven’t rented discs in years, is whether the rental editions are different from consumer editions. This could take the form of fewer extras or reduced quality soundtracks on Blu Ray. Back in the day, some rental editions had Dolby Digital 5.1, while the consumer purchase versions had uncompressed 7.1.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes they still have some of those.

8. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Many of the movie rental DVDs do not have the extras that the consumer versions have, although that doesn’t seem to be the case with the TV series DVDs. When this first started to happen it annoyed me, as I’d always enjoyed the extras that came on every disc. I got over it when I realized if I had gone to see the film in a theater, I wouldn’t be seeing those extras anyway.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I wasn't aware Netflix still did this...

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I sometimes see Rental Only DVD & BD in the used bins...I never buy them as I miss the bonus features...

11. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Wow. Back when they started with the shipping service, I was getting all kinds of old gritty 70's movies. They had quite a selection that did not migrate to streaming. May go look again.

12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Me either! The streaming Netflix is more about current than about classic-- that bothers me, since I am more of a classics type of person.

Pawnmower likes this.
  13. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I had to manipulate my DVD queue so only the next disk of the series was on order. Then when it mailed I’d add the next disk after that. It was a mild inconvenience at worst

14. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Netflix's DVD selection is huge. I tried streaming for awhile and it pales in comparison. Redbox doesn't have any selection, at all, against Netflix. The Netflix originals, though, don't all make it to DVD.

I've only not gotten my top choice on occasion and when it does get skipped, they send it to me immediatly when another gets returned; which means I end up with more DVDs than the 4 at a time allotted by my monthly subscription.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    bmasters9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.