Netflix Enola Holmes ripping yarns

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pastafarian, Sep 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's not going to win any awards but it's good fun and you get Millie Bobby Brown (Stranger Things) and Fiona Shaw (Killing Eve) in great form.

2. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

The trailer looked a bit too 'knowing'/self-satisfied for my tastes.

raye_penber likes this.
  3. Pastafarian

I think that's probably true, I just turned off all my critical thinking and enjoyed it but it certainly won't be for everyone.

4. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

I put it on for the benefit of my missus who normally complains about my viewing habits - she likes period pieces, Sherlock Holmes and light comedy.

I actually enjoyed it too even though the comments above are fairly accurate, mainly because that girl from Stranger Things did an excellent job with the role. I would describe it as more of a teen comedy / romance film so I shouldn't really have been into it at all.

Pastafarian likes this.
  5. Pastafarian

I make fun of my ex's reading habits, she got a first in English Lit. but she says she's had enough of analysis and she just wants a fun read.

jbmcb and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  6. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

I just read a review that calls it a Guy Ritchie movie for young teens, can't argue with that.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Pastafarian

And old men here

Jimmy Disco D likes this.
  8. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

That's just given me another reason not to watch it, then!

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'll watch damn near anything that's related to Sherlock Holmes, but this film was haaaaaaaarible. And it had the worst VFX shots I've seen in any Netflix movie, ever. Very strange structure, just all over the place.

I'll say this, though: I'm more convinced than ever that Henry Cavill (who plays Sherlock, albeit briefly in the film) could be an excellent replacement for James Bond.

10. Pastafarian

:biglaugh:You've just received the Victor Meldrew award.

humanbeing and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Did James Bond die?

12. Pastafarian

He's not real.

13. raye_penber

raye_penber .

I'll stick with Jeremy Brett.

Pastafarian likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Bond will never die, but the actor can and will certainly be replaced.

15. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Watched last night. Millie Bobby Brown is way overrated, as is this movie.

Cavill's typically wooden performances made him nicely understated as Sherlock here, since his only job was to be one-step behind his younger sister the entire time (to his delight). I can't see him as Bond.

Always great to see Helena Bonham Carter in anything.

The actual storyline was interesting, with some nice twists. Obviously timely connections.
    And yet, it seems like I've seen much of this movie before.

16. Pastafarian

:laugh: Well this thread is going well, I'll seek medical attention.

Simon A and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  17. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

I thought she did a good job. It was different. All in all a fun movie to watch.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  18. Macman

Macman Senior Member

It reminded me a lot of a '60s Disney movie starring Haley Mills. A plucky heroine facing danger and adventure. It was pleasant and nostalgic in that sense.

SandAndGlass, MrCJF, Daryl M and 4 others like this.
  19. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Yes, I mentioned that to my wife that it reminded me of a Disney movie, not that that’s bad, just an observation. It was nice to see her outside Stranger Things, where I thought she did a great job playing her character.

jpelg and Macman like this.
  20. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

It's a star vehicle for Brown and she carries it well. I recommended it to my brother immediately to show to my 7 year old niece, who I think will be engaged by the story and the acting. Viewing as an adult, I wish there had been a stronger mystery with a solid line of clues and deduction, and the story zips around haphazardly, but for me the momentum and the cast gloss over the plotting problems.

This is meant to be very light and diverting. Tell the grumpy old man in you to step aside and watch this as a kid if you can; if you can't, don't watch it and let other people enjoy themselves.

Spitfire, marmalade166, woody and 4 others like this.
  21. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Saw it with the kids last night. I thought it was OK. Pacing was good, the actors did a good job, especially Brown, and the story was interesting.

However, I thought it had a bit too much going on - the search for her mother seemed a bit shoehorned in, it would have been better if they would have focused on the Marquis storyline. The diversion to the finishing school seemed kind of pointless as well.

Also, as a huge fan of the original stories, Holmes and Mycroft were nigh-unrecognizable. In the original stories, if Holmes and Mycroft had a sister, they wouldn't have cared much about her upbringing. Holmes was every bit as bohemian as his mother was portrayed, and Mycroft was a misanthrope who wasn't really interested in other people - he rarely ventured outside of the Diogenes club. Racing around the countryside looking for his sister? If he would have cared at all, he would have sent someone else to take care of it, or let Holmes handle it. I understand there was an underlying current of social critique in Enloa, which is why the characters were acting this way, but if that's what the movie wanted to do with them, it chose the wrong characters to do it with.

22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I can see nudging Holmes in a little more human direction but point well taken about Mycroft.

23. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I have said that several times I agree, he would be a perfect Bond.

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I have too many good things to catch up on to watch this.

But it's probably perfect family entertainment...

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yep. I'm puzzled by the need to substantially alter familiar characters and shoehorn them into stories in which they do not fit. Why not simply create original characters? No fan of Holmes is going to be able to enjoy a story in which Sherlock and Mycroft behave in such an out-of-character manner. And people who are unfamiliar with Holmes would be just as likely to watch this if the title character were named "Enola Jenkins." What benefit is there to using the Holmes name here?

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.