Netflix -> Sacred Games

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by robertawillisjr, Jul 9, 2018.

1. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover Thread Starter

Sacred Games (Season 1) is outstanding Netflix original mystery series set in Mumbai India. Not for the faint of heart, as the body count is very high but the pacing, acting and setting will keep you glued to your seat. I blew through the eight episodes in three days. 4K and great sound.

Gumboo likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, it was pretty good, but not perfect. The plot was somewhat convoluted and even at only 8 eps, felt a little padded. It was very nicely shot and the incidental music was tense and well matched to the material.

I'm not sure what happened to the character Constable Katekar, going from a good natured, slightly goofy sidekick to a quasi sadistic tough guy at the end... And what's with all the forehead shots?

I listened to the dubbed English, but LOL, some of the accents were thick enough to need English subtitles too! :)

Anyway, I liked it and it seems clear that it's set up for S2.

3. robertawillisjr

I just started the 1000 page book upon which the series is "based". It is a very good book but I had to take a break in order to digest the material and research many of the terms/words :). This depicts an India which I knew very little about. The book is very nuanced concerning graft and interpersonal relationships. Some of that comes through on the screen.

IronWaffle likes this.
  4. RayS

RayS Paying attention like a rattlesnake does

I'm two episodes in and so far I'm really liking it. It took me a whole episode to realize I was watching a dubbed version (the English captioning and English dubbing often convey the same meaning but rarely match up, oddly enough), so I started over in Hindi with English subtitles (much better!)

It would be awesome if this show finds an American audience … but I'm not holding my breath.

IronWaffle and robertawillisjr like this.
  5. robertawillisjr

I did the same and read the subtitles but the voiceovers weren’t as bad as many others. I read the book afterwards and think it’s a masterpiece. It is a very big book and I found myself reading slowly because 1) the translation was outstanding and the reading was a delight and 2) I had to decipher much of the slang.

IronWaffle and RayS like this.
  6. RayS

RayS Paying attention like a rattlesnake does

Amazingly, the Kindle version of the novel is $1.99 on Amazon. I don't have time to read it now, but I couldn't pass it up at that price, so it will be my leisure reading for Winter Break.

IronWaffle likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks for the tip!

8. robertawillisjr

While both the program and the book are IMHO excellent and they tell the same general story, they differ widely in certain aspects. The book takes it time, provides fascinating detail and background and fully develops the characters. The program ups the pacing and “rearranges” certain themes found in the book while still remains suspenseful and very well acted.

IronWaffle likes this.