Netflix Series - The Haunting of Hill House

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1999. Trust me on this, it's largely very very bad.

apesfan, smilin ed and GodShifter like this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Does the remake have the same title as the original? I can’t seem to find it. Is it “The House on Haunted Hill” with Geoffrey Rush? I remember that one but it didn’t have the same plot. Was it “The Haunting” with Lili Taylor?

4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

If you’re referring to Theo being a lesbian, it was alluded that she was one even way back in the original movie and even more statedly in the remake.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’ll have to take your word for it because I cannot seem to find the remake and, as I said, haven’t read the book. It’s more than just that, but I don’t want to get into it. As I said, once again, this was “okay”.

Edit: so, yes, the remake was “The Haunting” (1999).

6. Nah, it's also called "The Haunting" but you have to put in 1999 movie to find it. Lili Taylor was fine as were most of the cast. It just lacked subtly.

The original film by Robert Wise made it pretty obvious to me (even as a kid) that Theo was gay.

GodShifter likes this.
  7. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

We are two episodes in and I feel much the same about this one as I do Ozark. It's very well made mediocrity, but somewhat entertaining.

DHamilton likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The Haunting was the remake. I liked that version. Lily Taylor was excellent.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. Eh, I thought Lily Taylor was great and the casting was spot on but I felt that it was a little too blunt for my taste. It lacked the eeriness and tension of the original film.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    GodShifter and Ghostworld like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Orig definitely better. But the goosed up SPFX were cool. The statue was great.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Finished it up. Not bad. The final episode kind of changes the whole feel and tone of the entire series; gives everything a different perspective (shall we say). Not sure I like where they went with it, but it was interesting if nothing else.

Talk of a second season for this. I’d prefer they didn’t.

Final thought: this a huge house (a mansion, in fact) on a large amount of land. Hugh Crain ‘flips’ houses, but how on earth does he afford a house like this? Even if the intention is to flip it? How many houses, as well, come completely furnished and with almost priceless antiques included? Dunno.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Going to have to try a third time today. Fell asleep twice last night !

Pastafarian and GodShifter like this.
  13. Maybe if he got it as an auction? Perhaps the rumor that it is haunted makes it unlikely there are other buyers. He doesn't believe in the supernatural initially. Who knows? It's a TV show.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. Currently 90% at Rotten Tomatoes. 92% for audience. Curious as it is similar between both critics and viewers.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I just finished it, and I loved it. I don’t watch a lot of horror (I haven’t even seen the holy trinity of Halloween, Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street), so I didn’t notice any tropes and I found most of it unpredictable. I thought the story was solid and that most of the characters were well defined.

★★★★☆

wayneklein and GodShifter like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Wayne, I totally get it’s a TV show, but for anything to be truly good, the premise needs to be plausible and realistic. Granted, this is horror, still the basis on which the story is founded on still needs to make sense.

The “oh, it’s horror, it has license to be stupid” premise doesn’t hold water to me.

Auction? That’s a possibility.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh wait. That was the father's name? Hugh Crain? Oh, brother. I didn't pick up on that. Well, they definitely cast an actor who I took one look at and thought -- "Oh, he's gonna turn out bad or else they wouldn't have cast someone so creepy looking."

GodShifter likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Thomas or Hutton? Both do a decent job of being creepy; not sure why they felt the need to replace Thomas with Hutton for the mature scenes outside of name recognition and trying to be cute. It is possible to age actors in roles. As Benjamin Button has witnessed, you can do it the other way around, if necessary. Still, Hutton and Thomas do look enough alike that it’s somewhat convincing.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  19. Oh I know. I was just joking around. I agree that it does need to be plausible and all it would take is a single line of dialog thrown in to explain gaps. It's kind of sloppy and there were some things I didn't like about it but, on the other hand, there was some really interesting stuff (the fractured story telling which recalled and was clearly influenced by "Lost") but used in a rather unique way here. On the whole, the pluses were better than the minuses.

GodShifter likes this.
  20. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

We're watching this and find it pretty dang good. Just watched episode #6 last night and it had a very creepy vibe all the way through. Looking forward to the remaining episodes. :thumbsup:

21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I was excited about this until I saw the trailer and realized that this has virtually nothing to do with the original novel. I hate it when they do that.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Prop department?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:rolleyes::p;)

24. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I find that it's a good show to watch with my 13 year old daughter. It's creepy enough without a ton of blood or gore in it, and relies on jumpscares so far (we're only a couple in). Maybe not an award winning show, though it's a good one to sit with the family and watch for an hour or so.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Hang in there, there are some pretty good curveballs coming.
    I'm one eposide from the end and this is, IMO, the best TV horror series yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.