Netflix Series "YOU" - Watch it !! Two very, very good seasons so far .....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scott222C, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man Thread Starter

I came across "You" just a few days ago, it is based on novels, which I don't know nothing about.

I loved the first season and now the second season was even better … it is a bit like "Dexter" but in New York (1st season) and without the police procedural background, instead you get a geeky/nerdy bookstore guy and stalker ….. sounds a bit lame, but it isn't at all, fantastic acting, fantastic dialogue, witty, twisting and turning, sometimes brutal - but never too gory - perfect !

Meet Joe Goldberg and Beck ……
    [​IMG]

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I have the first 3 episodes downloaded and will watch as time allows. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this show from the Mindhunter thread. I'm gonna miss Mindhunter and look forward to seeing this. I did not know about this show.

But -- I HAVE been exposed to it... I logged into my Netflix account a couple of weeks ago. And I noticed it said "Continue Watching" and it had "You" on my list. I had never heard of it and didn't think anyone else in the family would watch something we knew nothing about. So I checked e-mail. I had 3 e-mails from Netflix that there were new logins from 3 different devices in Virginia, Sweden and Malaysia. Hmmmm.... So I called Netflix and had the password changed and all devices logged out. Netflix assured me that anyone that logged in couldn't do much but they could watch anything that they wanted. I was pleased with that answer and sent a text to my other family members that the password had changed. Then I dug a little deeper and read some stories of people's accounts getting changed to a different language making it difficult to navigate and change back to English. One guy even had his e-mail address removed from his account and he couldn't get back in at all.

So last night when I went to download a few episodes of "You" I saw it in my "Continue Watching" list and remembered that whoever hacked my account had watched part of the first episode before they were booted. The login time for that morning was 2:44AM and I logged in shortly after 3AM and they were booted off by 3:10.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Scott222C

Well your story sounds like a neat tie-in with "You", you'll see after watching a bit .... ;)

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. MikeInFla

Should I be legit scared?!?

5. Scott222C

Only if you are a very attractive woman ...... :D

MikeInFla and EVOLVIST like this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's a pulpy watch, but it will definitely hold your attention.

It is definitely NOT aspiring to some sort of higher art, unlike Mindhunter (referenced above). I don't see any similarities in the two shows, except that they both stream on Netflix.

I think season 1 is better than season 2, but both are utterly bingable.

Both seasons have lots of moments that strain belief as they go on, but season 2 has far more of them.

The end of Season 2 sets up Season 3 (which has already been announced).

Speedmaster likes this.
  7. Zensound

Zensound Forum Resident

Enjoyed season 2; some of the left coast/organic/new age-y quips are funny; but, not as much good spooky/intrigue as first season.

8. Just great. I'm barely making it through Season 1. As a breakdown, I thought Eps 1-3 were very strong. They left me with a feeling of discomfort. But then, some of the episodes after that peter a bit, with Episode 8 nearly unbearable in that cloying romantic way. I've yet to see Ep. 9-10, but I have a feeling I'll watch that with the wife tonight.

9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Really liked season 1 but was season was a major drop in quality. I had a hard time keeping interest. When someone I know (who also liked 1 but was eh about 2) told me what happens in the book, it made me really wish they stuck to that. Sounded way more interesting.

10. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

I think season 1 was better. I found the friends of the 2nd season's main character Love annoying as hell. This whole vegan-cleansing-chakra-something talk was a bit much for my taste. Do people really talk this way?
    I was surprised when Forty suddenly had Candace as his girlfriend. I thought he was gay. The way he talked was just odd.

11. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Watched both seasons... not sure how to put this... if it wasn't for my girlfriend wanting to watch it I probably would have passed on it, but that being said, I'm not disappointed with the time spent watching it.
    In 2020 TV land, the swerves were a little predictable
    Bottom line for me... it's aight.

12. MikeInFla

Nothing to worry about then, I am not even an attractive male! Diving in to episode 1 "Pilot" in a few minutes.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. MikeInFla

2 episodes in, so far so good.

14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It’s a popular show with females.

15. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

I have had multiple students tell me to watch this. All females. Mindhunter season one was good. But I stopped paying for Netflix.

16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yup; great series. I was skeptical at first because a female friend of my wife told us we should watch it, and that woman has horrible taste. But I got hooked and am on chapter 3, season 2. Comparisons with Dexter are unfair to say the least. There are common elements, but the plot revolves around very different things.

17. MikeInFla

Finished season 1. man, what a crazy show! I found myself seeing Joe creep around and thinking "get outta there you're gonna get caught!" and then immediately thinking "wait, you deserve to get caught!". Looking forward to season 2. At some point Joe is gonna get caught.

turnersmemo, Scott222C and Brenald79 like this.
  18. MikeInFla

So far Season 2 is a little slow. I like it but I do not know if it would hold my attention for more than 3 seasons. I don't know what happens at the end of this season because I am not even half way thru yet but at some point Joe needs to get caught.

19. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Watched this due to recommendation from the Mindhunter thread. It's certainly a good watch but absolutely nothing like Mindhunter. This is a bit too soapy for my liking but worth the watch for the main character (and his inner thoughts) alone. It does get a bit silly, especially in S2 but it's an entertaining watch overall.

Still, it's no Mindhunter...

MikeInFla likes this.
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Right... As I have stated there's absolutely no connection to Mindhunter.

You is pulpy fun.

MikeInFla likes this.
  21. MikeInFla

I finished it up yesterday. Nice twist in the last couple of episodes, the pace did pick up. but I am not sure I am on board for a season 3. Maybe by the time it comes out I will be ready for more but I just don't see how they can make this go much further.

22. Scott222C

Yeah, I have mixrd feelings about S03 too, but will definitely check it out.

On a similar note, did you check out "Get Shorty" TV series too ? I am watching currently the first episodes of S03 and really liked the first two seasons of that show. Recommended.

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. MikeInFla

Not yet, is it on Netflix? I am so far behind right now on Netflix. Someone on the forum recommended "Good Cop, Bad Cop" to me last year since I am a fan of Monk and they thought I would like it but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Started the Unabomber show yesterday.

24. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I just finished both seasons and I would have liked it a little more if it hadn't borrowed so much from Dexter. I mean, his surrogate father discovers that teenage Joe murdered someone so he gives him an ethical code for serial killing. That's straight from Dexter, isn't it?

I was hopeful in the beginning that it would be something different, maybe focusing on stalking and obsession and Joe's twisted concept of what love is, but once he started killing people I lost a lot of interest in it because it felt like I had seen this before.

Speedmaster likes this.
  25. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

You (season 3) starts today on Netflix.