Netflix "The Paperboy"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mds, Jan 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mds

mds Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really enjoyed this movie. I watched last night when my wife was out and enjoyed so much I am going to watch again with her because I know she will enjoy.

Takes place in the late sixties down South. Concerns an investigation by four people who are trying to determine if a convict was unjustly sentenced to the electric chair for a crime he did not commit. It is being told in hindsight through an interview with two of the main characters family's house keeper.

I think this is a very un-Netflix style movie. Has some controversial scenes, one in particular concerns a strange sex scene in the prison's interview room between the con and his pen pal girlfriend and the scene takes place while the other three men who are trying to interview the con to determine if he is innocent or not are in the room. Nicole Kidman is extremely trash sexy in this movie. The movie also addresses race relations, and other controversial issues, which I will not go into due to not wanting to spoil the movie.

The cast is fantastic; Nicole Kidman, Matthew McConaughey, Zac Efron, David Oyelowo, Macy Gray, John Cusack, and Scott Glenn are all great. John Cusack was extremely good in his role, so good I did not at first totally recognize who he was but had the feeling he looked very familiar. All the characters are very believable and the story holds your interest, no wasted scenes.

I highly recommend and hope Netflix continues with other movies that are as risk taking as this one.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This was actually a Nu Imge/Millenium indie film not financed or produced by Netflix, as far as I know. It got some shaky reviews when it was released back in 2012, but wasn't awful. I think this was one of several "adult" films Zac Efron made in an effort to shake off his High School Musical roots.

mds likes this.
  3. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Thanks for the review! I will certainly watch this soon!

4. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I've never seen this film but I did read the novel back in the 90's and really disliked it. I thought it started off very mysterious and atmospheric but about halfway through it took a major turn off the rails. Still, this does have a good cast so maybe I should check it out some time. Maybe...

5. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I saw it a couple years ago, and while I thought Kidman was exceptionally hot in it, when
    it was over I was amazed that a group of A list actors would agree to make such a, what's
    the word, "trashy" film. Parts of it are border line gross, and other parts are really uncomfortable.
    It's one of those films where you think all of them must really have been in need of extra cash.
    Others of course may disagree..........

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  6. mds

mds Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was raw, but the acting was strong and the story interesting and Nicole was extremely sexy in a trashy way. Life isn't all beautiful and classy. The race, sibling and family relationships that were shown were believable. The idea that there would be this relationship between an inmate and a trashy women is also believable along with a young aggressive reporter wanting to make a name for himself by uncovering this story of injustice all create a story that kept my interest. It is a story that touches on some not so nice subject matters in a real way. Far from a high budget Hollywood picture.

7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I don't disagree with you. The story reflected how some people in our society choose to live their lives.
    My problem, again, is that Kidman, Cusack, etc. chose to DO this particular film. It seemed to me it was
    beneath them.
    However, this scene DID make it worth seeing once.........
    [​IMG]

8. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

It gets a 4.2 on IDMB I think I'll pass.

9. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

We found the movie pretty disturbing, veering in odd tangents. Surprising what some of the actors did producing this film to be honest.

Don't recommend it.

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  10. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I'll add that the film's ending, while suspenseful, was way too abrupt.

11. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

I liked it, thanks for the recommendation. Thought Macy Gray was very good.

Had a chuckle when the black reporter arrives in the hick Louisiana town, takes a look around, and says: What a sh*thole!

jpelg and mds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.