Never Mind The Bollocks - 40th Anniversary Deluxe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I don't think it makes any sense for Universal to pay for another remastering. This release is commemorative and for those that didn't pick it up the first time around, I'd say.

Also, if you're interested in a high resolution version, the Blu-Ray audio is a worthwhile and inexpensive option. It's got many of the bonus tracks but not the dvd.

punkmusick likes this.
  2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I don't care about high res audio. I'm not that kind of audiophile, nor can I afford to be. :) I can't hear a difference between FLAC and low-res MP3. My "audiophile" leanings are entirely based around mixing and mastering.

But that makes sense. In my experience, Universal is the worst when it comes to reissues (digital-sourced LP reissues, horrific remaster hackjobs, no bang for your buck, etc.), but I loved the sound of the 2012 remaster when I sampled it on Spotify. I think it hit the sweet spot that the music deserved. So if Universal wants to save money and reuse the same mastering... I'm all for it! :D

punkmusick likes this.
  3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Same remasters I bet. Tim Young did a great job.

4. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

No chance it will be remastered again, it's just a cheaper reissue of the cd's/DVD in the big box.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I'd have felt cheated if I dropped $86 on the super deluxe box when all I want is the three CDs. I'll save time and money. See, there is a place in this world for cheap repackaging!

Quite happy to hear that Universal is releasing a good mastering. Gotta be honest, times like these call for celebration.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The new box set looks nice! But where's the studio cut of 'I Wanna Be Me'? Ugh...

art likes this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's a 1977 box. Anarchy/I Wanna be Me are from 1976

8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It was the b-side of a Bollocks track. It should've been included.

crozcat, punkmusick and andrewskyDE like this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What about the other early b-sides that are in this box set? Weren't they from 1976, too?

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

God Save the Queen was released May 1977

11. punkmusick

No Fun and No Feeling recorded in 1976, released in 1977, others recorded and released in 1977.

Mylene and andrewskyDE like this.
  12. punkmusick

Not kidding, I have to have everything released if it's cool, that's why over the years I bought the big box, the double CD and the single CD.
    This box looks cool, so there's a good chance I will end up buying it some day. Not in a hurry though, there are other things in sight like the Singles box from last year that I haven't bought yet. I just bought the Alternative Takes box set, it took me 3 years to buy it. I take my time.
    On the other hand I have no intention by now to buy More Product.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    jsayers likes this.
  13. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

I'm a sucker, I bought More Product but this, I have the Super Deluxe, so I'll pass.
    I'm so glad they didn't try to change the content or stupid me, I'd probably buy it again...

jsayers and punkmusick like this.
  14. punkmusick

I would buy More Product because of the book. It seems to be very nice. I've seen a few pictures.

15. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

16. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Is there anything that has everything recorded with Glen Matlock together?

17. punkmusick

No.
    Never Mind The Bollocks + Spunk / This is Crap 2CD has almost everything except for the Mike Thorne sessions available in Sex Box.
    If you don't mind to collect all the different mixes or to search for the best mastering, then if you have Sex Box and This is Crap you have everything recorded with Glen. If you do mind, there's a lot of info about all the different sources somewhere in this forum.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You're still going to buy it though aren't you ;)

punkmusick likes this.
  19. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Probably!!! :laugh:

20. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I'd be daft enough to buy the big box for the A&M single, depends on the price.

21. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

I actually have the original spunk vinyl, a big thrill in those days finding somewhere that sold a boot!
    I've always avoided CDs of it as i thought they'd be badly sourced rips and messed with things like most of those dreadful Dave Goodman cash-ins, and the 96 re-issue passed me by, I really only got back onboard for Pistols collections for the 02 box set.

So can anyone tell me is the Spunk/This Is Crap mentioned above worth seeking out?

punkmusick likes this.
  22. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

I'm not much of an audiophile and the tracks on "This Is Crap" sound pretty lackluster to my ears, much better on other releases...

23. ppaul

ppaul Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, they recorded over the original backing tracks keeping only Johnnys original vocal take...

24. ppaul

ppaul Active Member

I doubt they could find the original master tape for that song (unfortunately)

25. art

art Senior Member

That SHM-SACD is mind-boggling great.

jsayers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.