Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Nice list. What do you mean by "Venus and Mars"? Pardon my ignorance if this is a McCartney reference I should really know.

Would be great if this thread continues to cover the four Lydon-era B-sides....

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  2. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I will expand that a lot of 1970s albums had a very “lush” sound. This album also sounds sonically different from many albums of that time.

3. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I replied to my own post. Venus and Mars is a Wings album I own. I quite enjoy it, but I think the lush sound of Venus and Mars is why Never Mind The Bollocks needed to come out. A lot of other albums had that same sound.

4. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Okay, this post has nothing to do with the Song by Song thing but it’s the biggest thread about the Sex Pistols, so what’s the best biography about them to read?
    (Geez, reading a bio about a punk band seems the least punk thing to do in the world)

5. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I believe the one written by Jon Savage is one of the most famous.

6. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I remember the first time I heard "Pretty Vacant" was on the late night sunday M Dung show on WLAV-FM in Grand rapids Michigan. After the song was over, M Dung yelled out " We're stupid but we don't care ! "

7. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Clinton Heylin's Babylon's Burning has quite a bit and he has also written a book about Bollocks, which pretty much tells the band's story.

8. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

"Please Kill Me" by Legs McNeil covers way, way more than the Pistols, but it's interesting in that the band's story is told from many perspectives.

John Lydon has two autobiographies, but of course you're getting only one view from a guy who's been known to revise history.

You can find more than you'd ever want to know on the philjens.plus.com website. (It used to have an excellent forum with many original UK fans, but it shut down about 10 years ago.)

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  9. punkmusick

England's Dreaming by Joe Savage is a classic despite its flaws.

10. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs is a very good read. I would also suggest that there is probably less revisions of history in it than a lot of Malcolm's musing.

11. douglas mcclenaghan

Jon.

12. punkmusick

The difference between No Irish and Anger is drastic. The man was really angry and bitter when he did the first and much more relaxed in the second. No Irish is more a Sex Pistols book too.

douglas mcclenaghan and Randoms like this.
  13. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

As this seems to have strayed a bit I'm just mentioning that I went out for lunch today in a fairly remotish pub and they were playing a random selection of songs, one being Anarchy In The UK, not often you hear that one when you're out and about, still a great sounding rock and roll song!

14. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Much to recommend in Burchill & Parsons' "The Boy Looked at Johnny". The US edition is easier to find and has photos - plus a foreword by Lenny Kaye offering trigger warnings for sensitive American readers. It's of a piece with the punk attitude of the times, being contemporaneous with events and written by smart-arrrse teenage participants, rather than an academic history or post hoc settling of scores by a minor figure in his middle age.

punkmusick likes this.
  15. buddachile

buddachile Forum Resident

So, you can't remember a time when this album wasn't etched in your mind. Nice!

JuanTCB likes this.
  16. buddachile

buddachile Forum Resident

Musica eh pura emocao. A letra nao importa tanto!

punkmusick likes this.
  17. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Currently reading Dave Goodman's book about his time as producer and sound engineer for the band and I'd highly recommend it. There's quite a few insights and tales I'd never heard before, such as Malcolm and Dave meeting Syd Barrett at a London hotel in 1976 to offer him the Producer's job for NMTB. They gave up after an hour because all he could talk about was aliens :D

It's also forever bugged me what Lydon says at the start of No Fun, it's the last few words of him encouraging the band to liven up the performance with "do it like we do it live", and now I can finally make out "we do it live" all these years later.

Man at C&A and punkmusick like this.
  18. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

"LIPSTICK TRACES" I's an interesting read....but one must suspend belief to get through it!According to the book....the main reason punk existed was....boredom....and the French situationalists....I'm suspicious!!

19. punkmusick

I'm reading Clinton Heylin's book about the record. So far very good. I like how he begins with the Spedding demos.

20. douglas mcclenaghan

That was an excellent series of books. A shame they didn't do a bunch more. Far better than some of the utter piffle that has appeared in the 33 1/3 series.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  21. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Let’s give it up for the excellent Mr. Glen Matlock, the Sex Pistols’ original bassist, co-founder, and one of its main songwriters who turns 64 today.

Though he left before the height of the Pistols’ notoriety, he remains an invaluable part of the band. It’s most musically knowledge member in the early days, it was often his ear for melody that helped most of the Pistols’ songs take shape, giving some musical muscle to the ferocity of John’s words. And as shown on the Spunk demos, he was a pretty tasty bassist when given the chance. Needless to say, the band lost a great deal with Glen leaving.

And the dude played with Faces. How cool is that? So happy birthday to Glen, May he continue to be a punk god.
    [​IMG]

22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Veronica Mars and TheLoveDrags like this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

24. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

"bodies" absolutely ****ing slays.

25. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Legs McNeil tends to focus on drugs rather than the music. For me that book was a bore fest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.