"Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" Vinyl Comparisons?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone compared the sound quality of the new 180g Rhino "Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" head-to-head with to the UK 30th Anniversary Virgin version? They are both still available, and even though the Virgin pressing is twice as much, which is the winner and how do they compare to the original UK & US versions? The only copy I had on vinyl was a US second pressing that sounded dreadful.

2. Ken

Ken Forum Resident

this would interest me greatly also...

3. AaronW

bump

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Good question! I have the UK version, and I find it a bit lacking.

5. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

its a one note shoot out. IMO
    Anything that is not a Blue Label UK Virgin original LP sounds like a huge steaming pile of dog excrement by comparison.

6. motorcitydave

I would imagine. lol.

7. AaronW

No, please tell us what you really think :laugh:! How is The Last Record Store these days?

8. I just got a UK Virgin original and I must agree. I have been listening to this album for well over 20 years, first on cassette and then various cd issues. Tonight was the first time I ever heard a UK original and it was like hearing this album for the first time. Wow!

9. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Hmmm. I have one of these blue virgins, bought before the US version was even available as I recall. Haven't played it in years, but I always thought the band sounded very powerful, probably due to this pressing.

10. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Funny, I was out at a used bookstore today and got (what I think is) the Canadian first pressing with the inner sleeve for $6.

11. roro1

roro1 New Member

I just bought the rhino reissue.It sounds very good.Its pressed flat and is quiet.I think it sounds very good.Amazing actualy.The only comparison i have is the original cd.The cd simply is bright and harsh.I never really liked this album until i heard it on lp.It actually has warmth on vinyl something i never found on the cd.

blackg likes this.
  12. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Ditto. :agree:

13. user19351

user19351 Active Member

Any more reviews? I'm itching to buy this, but want confirmation of the sound quality.

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

What about comparisons between the 11-track UK blue label and the 12-track UK blue label? Did they splice the songs in a different order from the same tape?

15. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

My 11 track UK blue label sounds better then my 12 track UK blue label. I've always wondered why. My guess is that maybe it's because the 11 track lp was pressed from a lacquer that was mastered differently. After Submission was added to the LP they would have had to have made another set of stampers to press the new version therefor it couldn't sound exactly the same as the first pressing....correct? bayen

16. Hi all,
    i finally tore open my rhino 180g repress and it's very interesting
    the clarity is amazing but its way too slow,
    they haven't tried to expand the stereo like some of the WB cd's did
    this is indeed "mono deluxe" as Chris Thomas put it

it sounds nothing like the original USA pressing (or at least my copy of it)

imo if this was speed corrected it would be a true and accurate reflection of the band/Chris Thomas' intent

what source was used for the rhino LP?

i'll comment on the UK 2007 LP reissue as soon as i find a copy that isn't faulty!
    but will say the UK 7" reissues were great. all outstanding, but i must mention anarchy in the uk particularly as that was the track that most needed upgrading. its a big improvement over any cd version i've personally heard, the drums in the opening passage really leapt out at me on first listen

i gotta start properly documenting my UK Bollocks LP's so i can make meaningful comparisons

17. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Funny...I always liked the version that came out in 2007 from the U.K...
    perhaps I have to play it again....

18. I got a copy of the UK 2007 disc to play (except holidays) and i really couldn't criticise it, nice quiet surface like the rhino
    i guess i was just unlucky getting 2 duff copies (one from ebay, one from my local indie store)

i guess the perceived "clarity" of the rhino version could be the bright eq,
    that others have mentioned
    but its not ear-shreddingly bright like Kiss this or the 1992 7" pressings(uurgh!)
    i can't take too much treble so its not over the top

overlooking the speed issue the Rhino seems more "open" and detailed than the cd's i use (sex box and "the filth and the fury" soundtrack cd- which used to be highly regarded until sex box came out)

i concede its possible i've just been fooled by an EQ job LOL

the UK 2007 LP is closer to the CD's than the rhino is

basically if you get a non faulty copy theres nothing really wrong with the UK 2007 LP mastering-wise

EndOfTheRainbow likes this.
  19. motorcitydave

Yeah, the UK press is ok, but it's not very good at lower volumes. Then again, it is the Sex Pistols.

20. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

just picked up the rhino 180gram reissue for $5 yesterday... it sounds entirely different than how ive always heard it, one older cd issue i used to have, which was always lacking in bass but had a rougher less polished soundv which i pereferred for this album, especially in the guitars... the rhino sounds more polished, as if they had added some reverb...

A. Am i hearing things, or incorrectly remembering them?
    B. how was the Rhino mastered? all analog pressing? digital file?

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Discussing the audiophile merits of Sex Pistols LPs...?

That's not very punk, lads!

:p

22. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

C'mon!
    Not this again!
    Recorded at Wessex! Same place "In the Wake of Poseidon" by King Crimson was...with two of the most sought after producer/engineers of the day!
    Yes it is a well done LP...
    "My Aim Is True" is a low budget affair...not this one...

23. roro1

roro1 New Member

So is the rhino fast or slow.I have tt speed controler i would love to either speed it up or slow it down to hear the difference to my 1st pressing cdn cd.

24. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Never heard the Rhino. The best sounding SP on vinyl are the New Zealands 12' singles. If they accurately represent the tapes, then the sound is MASSIVE. It would probably be a good idea to reissue the LP in a 3 12" set playing at 45rpm a la Metal Box.

I would do it but only from the actual tapes.

vonwegen likes this.
  25. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

A friend brought the 30th Anniversary edition round a while back and we stuck it up against my 'plain pink back' UK blue label Virgin copy. The latter just killed it I'm afraid. Much more life, energy and clarity. The 30th sounded dead in the water by comparison. I'd hunt down an early UK pressing if I was you. Don't know anything about the Rhino though.

Tony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.