"Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" Vinyl Comparisons?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

thanks for all the help everyone. the sound is not stunning by any measure, and i suspect digital a digital source is at play. guess this will hold me over till a nicer original US copy shows up in the dollar bins over here again.. which will then hold me over till i get my hands on those NZ singles!

although a 45 rpm reissue would be nice :winkgrin: for any album!

2. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I bet. I'm still lookin' I do have an Italian pressing which sounds pretty good. :cool:

3. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member Thread Starter

Tonight I lucked out and found an early 11 track UK pressing (one of the first 1000 from what I've read) with the blank back, correct label wording and A1/B3 matrices. Sounds fantastic, the best I've ever heard it!

4. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Dont book the holiday yet , the entire kaboosh was reissued about 2-3 years ago.

The blank sleeve , poster, submission single, 11 track LP.

I believe the reissue poster was a little bit smaller

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Isn't it true that the master tapes were lost in the early '90s, right after "Kiss This" was mastered? I seem to recall reading that recent CD reissues were sourced from the US Warner Brothers CD because it had the best sound in a digital format.

If this is so, what was the source material for the recent vinyl reissues? Were no safety copies or tape dupes for foreign markets made in 1977?

6. AaronW

I know, that is why I started this thread four years ago. The copy I found yesterday is without a doubt a late '70s UK Virgin pressing, it has the correct matrix info & inner sleeve w/patent number, no poster or single.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

I'll second that about the NZ singles. Awesome sound.

8. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

To be correct, it looks like the mixed LP master tapes were misled after Kiss This, save for Satellite.

The Box Set from 2002 have NMTB mastered from the Warner US CD (at least, an original version, there might be several with different sounds) because all the people involved including me thought it sounded the closest to the original vinyl, on then current speakers and amps.

I can"t vouch for anything reissued after 2002 thought.

9. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Just wondering, how different is the US edition from the UK? This is the only copy I have and the only edition I've ever heard.

10. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

I've owned two of these in my day, both bought for pretty cheap. I only have one now, of course. It sounds better than my US promo copy, which sounds kind of dull.

11. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Plenty of info here in NMTB Pressings
    http://www.philjens.plus.com/pistols/pistols/pistols_nmtb.htm

punkmusick likes this.
  12. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

C'mon over to my place this weekend and we'll do a shootout. I've got the orig US and Canada pressings. My guess is your UK would slay them. I wanna hear it! Humor me, you're probably less than 10 minutes away form my door! 2 bad u don't accept PMs. I'd send this directly 2 u......

BTW Blackie, The Last Record Store is doing fine in 2012!

13. AaronW

14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Well God Save The Queen and Problems are reversed for a start (Warners in the US wanted Side 1 to end with GSTQ, this was also carried over to the CD version)

I actually have no less than 22 different pressings from around the world, the best is still by original 11 track with the single bought on the day of release, unfortunately the poster is long gone, but it did have the tracklisting on the rear. Ialso do have a blank rear sleeve 12 track pressing. The 30th anniversary reissue has the track listing.

I would certainly go for an early Virgin blue label pressing, they are still easy to pick up, look out though for counterfeits that have recently appeared.

Mind you if anyone has a 10th pressing Virgin red/white label that they dont want....

punkmusick likes this.
  15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The original Canadian pressings catalogue mumber was KBS 3147, which changed to BSK (like the US) on subsequent pressings.

punkmusick likes this.
  16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Thank you for the clarification. :righton:

17. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Just checked. Mine has the KBS catalog number. Thanks for the info!

18. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Just saw this on ebay that you may want , its an original single sided Submission 45.

Only the poster after this..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEX-PISTO...&ps=63&clkid=6423573089985593378#ht_849wt_922

19. AaronW

Thanks, might have to bid on that! Apparently from the info One_L posted the copy I got never came with the poster or single but it would be nice to have Submission.

20. serge

serge Forum Resident

if you haven't heard the original belgian you have not heard this album.... smokes 'em all.

21. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Boy, I haven't heard the original Belgian pressing but the A3/B3 I have sounds pretty damn good. Can't imagine it being topped but then again...

22. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Cool. I'll make a note of it...

23. AaronW

Seriously? I find that hard to believe.

24. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

I was going to say that this is not a crazily rare or expensive title as an original pressing (in the US). It wouldn't even occur to me to pick up a reissue for that reason alone.

25. AaronW

True, US pressings come up every now and again in the $15-$20 range here but are not what I would call common. The reason I started this thread is that the US pressing I had sounded terrible, the standard WB CD trounced it by no small margin. As previous posters have stated, the 11 track, blue label UK Virgin sounds great, my search is over. That is until, by my lucky stars, I run across an original Romanian or Israeli holy grail pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.