"Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" Vinyl Comparisons?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Sounds about right. I picked up my US copy on sale for about $14 and it sounds crummy but I figured the UK would trounce it. So it's pretty much just the blue label 11 track version one should start with?

2. serge

serge Forum Resident

why?

no. not seriously.. I have no idea.. I have one in the basement somewhere.. maybe I will listen to it.. I also have the UK and the US originals..

I'm no audiophile and this album I don't think is exactly audiophile material!

blackg likes this.
  3. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

The first I bought (actually, I was offered as a present), was the belgian without Submission. I ruined it listening to it over the first couple of years. It sounded indeed excellent. But nothing beats the New Zealand 12" singles.

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Who or where was the UK pressing mastered at?

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Disagree. I think this is one of the better produced rock records of the late '70s. Recorded at Wessex Sound by Bill Price and Chris Thomas. Not exactly amateurs, those two - and it sounds like they really put some effort into this.

Cassius and Preston like this.
  6. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Agreed. :thumbsup:

7. serge

serge Forum Resident

welll then i guess the search goes on... for that perfect better sounding pressing. sounds from what people are saying that its the UK version.. i'll see what i have in my basement at some point.. the original US sounds good to me but again I'm no audiophile.. however, if something sounds bad i can tell.

8. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

I noticed that there were some earlier comments in this thread on the Rhino reissue being slow. I bought that reissue a while back and only listened to it once. It must be the speed of the Rhino mastering that was bothering me. Seemed to lack the energy of the UK CD version that I was used to. Do others agree there is a speed problem on that one? I will have to compare to the CD speed.

9. motorcitydave

How would you guys rate this Italian pressing I have?

10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

... and the best sound EVER winner is???

30 anniversary looks good because have replica of poster and 7 inch... is good? mmm

I dont have any, Im looking for buy one... I see the 1st pressing uk with poster expensive as hell... and I dont know about rhino, but I hate rhino reissues. any help? ;)

11. motorcitydave

? :D

12. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

Found a UK copy w/ 12 tracks ... A2/A5 ... plain pink back with titles handwritten in blue ink pen ... blue Virgin label ...

Looks pretty straight ... $30

Only have a later (2nd) US pressing ... not white label I remember from my youth (that copy long gone), but on off-white WB label w/ the 2 virgins (small) on left side ...

Being as I'll probably never find an 11-track copy with lower stampers ... HHHMMM ....

What say you all ? Please & Thank You !@!

13. j4yheindeo

... bump ...

14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I have found all the 12 track Virgins with the V2086 cat number are excellent, I have 2 blue label and a green/red label press, the green/red actually sounds the best, but its in a better condition than the other 2, all three will blow early WB pressings away.

Finding an early Virgin copy in anything more than VG+ is a lottery because most were played to death, later original pressings tend to be in better condition, an EX OVED 136 will sound just as good IMHO.

15. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

just because the album was well mixed or recorded or whatever doesn't really matter when the fact of the matter is these guys didn't even really know how to play their instruments. If the sex pistols would have saw you guys comparing pressings they would probably smash your 20k stereo, I don't think this album was intended for play on high end systems

16. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

in the words of the title...................................BOLLOCKS!!

Cook, Jones and Matlock were more than capable musicians.

Man at C&A, blackg and The Good Guy like this.
  17. j4yheindeo

Thanks jimod99 ... appreciate your input ~!

And Yes ... not very 'punk' ... worrying about matrices ...

SOD OFF ~! :)

18. dmb70

dmb70 Member

What is considered the best sounding 12 song pressing? I currently have the late 80's WB CD & a 77 Columbia House LP. I was pretty underwhelmed by the CH vinyl.

19. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

You never know what's going to turn out to be a classic. Casablanca was meant to be a throwaway B-movie with all kinds of issues during production. And now? Greatest Movie of All Time, in my book.

There's something to that with NMTB. It's an astonishing record, and it deserves to be discussed. (regardless of the circumstances of its creation/era)

There's now a 35th Anniv remaster out there, supposedly from the tapes. It's on vinyl, the crazy expensive boxset, and I think just on regular CD and download. Anyone got it? How's it sound?

20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Does anyone have a French Barclay pressing? I picked one up today, it's got the 940553 catalogue number. It doesn't share the same matrixes as the UK first press, despite being released the same year, but I'm curious how it compares.

21. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I bought my copy in 1977 as soon as it was available in the U.S. It's a blank pink back except for the catalog number, band logo copyright date, and record company name; no poster, no single. The cover has a round Jem Imports sticker. The matrix numbers are V2086 A3/B2. Just thought I'd call it out as that particular combo wasn't previously mentioned in this thread and it does sound great. It is mentioned in the article on the previous page which I greatly enjoyed, so thanks for that!

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Picked up a very well preserved German original today. The former owner cared enough to leave it in the (opened) shrinkwrap because of the super cool purple dayglo hype sticker advertising the singles "and EXTRA TRACK 'Submission'".

So this is a 12 track version with classic white/ green "siamese" Virgin label. German pressings traditionally are hit and miss as far as the mastering goes and I generelly prefer UK punk from UK vinyl but I liked the way this copy looked.

At home I compared it to the 30th Anniversary edition - with poster and 7" - and....OMG! I've no idea how it compares to it's British counterpart but the German firstpress sounds MUCH better than the 2007 pressing, punchier, more aggressive, more immediate.

And I'm pretty sure a UK Virgin would even sound better. Looks like this is an album where vintage seems the way to go....

23. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

What are the Holidays, if you can't spread a little good old Sex Pistols cheer ??

24. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Though it's been quite a while, I remember NMTB as a pretty good headphone album back in the day.

25. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Ok...let's get this straight.

Was the 30th Anniversary mastered analogue?
    What was the source.

What about the Barclays?
    What was their source?

What versions on LP to avoid?

We have so many experts here I am certain we can get to the bottom of this!

Neonbeam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.