"Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" Vinyl Comparisons?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I have a question about my pressing. 20 years ago, I bought an unplayed copy of the "Never Mind The Bollocks" LP. The seller had a big warehouse and lots of great records, but when his small record store closed from one day to another, he sold many LPs to me for a low price - all in brandnew and unplayed condition.
    I bought a UK pressing of the Sex Pistols album (maybe made in 1985) with OVED 136 catalogue number, a barcode on back and white and grey Virgin labels. Last week I was in the mood to listen to some old stuff and was very surprised about the sound quality of that pressing. Unfortunately I can't find any further info about the variation I own, so here are the matrix numbers:

Side A: Oved 136 A - 10U - 1 - 4 -
    Side B: Oved 136 ̶V̶̶ ̶̶2̶̶0̶̶8̶̶6̶ B - 12U - 1 - C

As you can see, the V 2086 number on side B was crossed out...so maybe side B used an old stamper ? If the used a new one for side A, they must have done a really nice job, cause the sound on both sides is exactly the same in volume level, frequency range, punch and clarity. I can't hear any differences, not even with headphones.
    Maybe there is anybody out there who owns that pressing and have some information. As I never had the chance to listen to a 1977 Virgin LP pressing (I own the 1988 Warner CD, the Japan Black Triangle, the 35th Anniversary box set), it would be interesting to know how close my version sounds to the initial LP. I played my copy three times these days and it sounds really great....

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. sathvyre

Just gave the record another spin and compared with the 1988 Warner CD. Side A sounds not as good, more like a copy. Side B with the V 2086 number sounds great (and very similar). Well, I have to find another copy with V 2086 matrixes on both sides...:(

3. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I've always loved this record sonically. The Pretenders' debut is similarly well recorded, and by the same producer and engineer.

4. sathvyre

The search is over :)
    Today I received an excellent copy of the UK Virgin (white/blue labels) with the following matrix informations:

V-2086A-7
    V-2086B-6

My friends, this one sounds awesome...!!! I never heard the album in such great sound on vinyl !!! I also bought the old 7" singles, but my Barcley "Anarchy In The UK" has serious sound problems on side a (the right channel sounds very distorted). Anybody out there who owns that version and can confirm the distortion / sound issue of side a ? The 7" single looks great and side b sounds very nice...thanks a lot !!!

cc-- likes this.
  5. sathvyre

Just received a very good needledrop from the german first pressing, made with the same setup as I have here - and I don't like it. It has a boost around 5 kHz, so the vocals and guitars are more in-your-face, but compared to the UK A-7/B-6 matrix, it is a real loser.

6. sathvyre

Anybody out there who owns the french Virgin pressing (202 984) ??? It has green and red labels.
    Does it sound good ? I want to enlarge my collection ;) Thanks a lot !!!

7. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

Get the uk 11 track with the one sided Submission single. Side one has a different track order. Better than any other i have ever heard.

8. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Far better to get a Barclay 11 or 12 track pressing

9. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

So does aside 2!!

There are 4 different track orders for NMTB vinyl

UK/France/Japan 11 track

Virgin 12 track

U.S./Canada 12 track (Warners)

French Barclay 12 track

The Virgin and Warners cd's had the running order of the corresponding lp's

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  10. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

You´re right. And somehow I find side one works better with Liar after Holidays.

11. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Just for your information , I met John Lydon very recently and he is very much an Audiophile. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in regarding the musicianship angle either . If you listen the 1976 demos & 1977 stripped down tracks (courtesy of the box set then you will know the musician ship is high.

Man at C&A, sami and cc-- like this.
  12. sathvyre

Thank you for reply. I have a 12 track UK Virgin with A6 / B7 Matrix and it sounds very good.
    I have the chance to buy a French Virgin and a 12 song Barclay LP (with the different colors on the cover) for my collection and want to know which one sounds better. Is there a big difference in sound, compared to my UK Virgin ? The Warner CD for example sounds a bit brighter than my UK LP. Does the French Barclay sound brighter than the UK ???

13. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

All the Barclays are very good, don't forget the album was released on Barclay before it was released in the UK. Original UK Virgins or Barclays have very little, if any, difference in them if you have a good pressing.

French Virgins are 3rd or 4th issue and will likely be from second generation tapes (I don't have one but I do have 11 and 12 track Barclays).

Warners cd's are generally regarded to be better than early Virgin cd's.

14. sathvyre

Thank you. So the Barclay pressings cound similar, compared to each other Barclay pressing ?

15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The Barclay pressings, whether 11 or 12 track sound the same as the comparable Virgin 11 and 12 track pressings.

11 track Barclays do not have the 7" Submission though.

16. sathvyre

Thank you.
    Just listened again to my excellent UK 12 song version and I think there is no need for me to buy any additional LP.
    One more question about the Anarchy/I Wanna Be Me 7". I own the French Barclay version with the picture cover. I never heard a UK one (with the black cover). Do they also sound similar ?

17. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The EMI blows it away.

There are actually two EMI pressings, only the first has a black cover the second a generic EMI sleeve, but both are identical.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. sathvyre

Thank you. I will try to find an excellent condition copy.

19. sathvyre

There are two EMI pressing, one from 1976 and the other from 1983 with "Townhouse" in the runout groove. Do they sound similar ?

20. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

1983 pressing is on Virgin, not EMI and has No Fun on the B side.

If you are replying quote my original post then I will see that you are asking a question.

21. sathvyre

Ok, just found it on Discogs and saw that they used "No Fun" on side b.
    Well, the UK one is very expensive and as the early french pressings always sound good, I thought it is fine to have the french Barclay / Glitterbest version instead.

22. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

It's very unlikely you will find a cheap EMI original.

There was a "replica" issued by Virgin in 2007 with EMI labels and a black sleeve if you want to find a copy for collection purposes.

23. sathvyre

Thank you, but I had all the 2007 reissues of the 7"s...they sound dull, lifeless and way too low in volume, compared to the old ones.
    I don't buy records only to store it my shelf for collector's reasons, but I always prefer to play my records...so the sound quality is the most important thing.

Man at C&A and cc-- like this.
  24. sathvyre

I received my belgian 11-song LP today and did a quick listen. Sounds really nice. I will transfer it to harddisc later today for further comparison with the UK A7 / B6 pressing. I also bought the french "Submission / New York" 7" to have all 12 tracks as french / belgian version ;)

25. sathvyre

What about the french/belgian 11-song version, compared to the french 12-song version with the different color cover ? do they sound different ? I am thinking of buying the french 12 track version for the different cover art, but only if it sounds as great as the 11-song version. Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.