New A&E Series 'Longmire'

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FatherMcKenzie, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Another escapist crime series debut. Following the seasom premiere of 'The Glades'.

As it was the 'Pilot', it didn't matter much what the crime story element was or who was responsible, in the end, for the crime.

Laying out the series premise and characters was more important. Rural Sheriff in Wyoming fights crime with personality flaws and demons.

Perennial support actor Lou Diamond Philips is here, but the big surprise is 'Starbuck' is back. What the frak?! Katie Sackhoff returns to series TV as one of the Sheriff's deputies.

I think this one needs more edgy material to succeed. I'll give it a few more episodes.

2. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Saw it on DVR tonight and thought it was pretty good - I'll watch next week. Refreshing to see something that has a different setting than a courtroom or police precinct (beautiful Wyoming scenery). Robert Taylor reminds me a bit of a subdued Harrison Ford.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

The show is based on a series of books written by Craig Johnson, who lives here in Wyoming. I did the photos for a profile on him at his home last fall. The books about a fictional sheriff in a fictional small Wyoming town are quite popular apparently.

http://trib.com/lifestyles/home-and...cle_a155e8ad-0ef2-52c2-8a05-3a1ab4c2b7c6.html

Very nice guy.

The show is produced in New Mexico. Johnson said the production team visited Wyoming and did a fantastic job of recreating the atmosphere in NM. It's not the kind of show I'd usually watch but would love to see it because of our state's connection. I don't have cable though. :shh:

We got a kick out of the prop license plate Johnson got to keep since there's no such thing as a county 24.

dan c

4. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

I kinda liked it. I'll tune in some more.
    Wish A&E would cough up more dough for these great serials than the inexpensive reality crap they love to show.

5. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dan C,

Thanks for the background info. I like knowing that kind of stuff; I didn't know anything about 'Longmire' other than seeing the premiere on Sunday night. Sounds like my Summer reading list will have additions.

I agree with RickH that change of scenery is a plus.

Dan C likes this.
  6. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I enjoyed the show and mainly tuned in because I like Lou Diamond Phillips. I hope he gets more air time in future episodes. I like the tension between Longmire and his deputy who is running against him for sheriff.

groundharp likes this.
  7. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Watched it "on demand" last night. Nothing really new here w/the usual assortment of stereotyped characters. This small town sheriff is much like Tom Selleck's role in "Jesse Stone" as well as a host of similar small town sheriff series & TV movies.
    "Glades," while a small town police series, is sprinkled w/light comedy and enough drama to keep you engaged. Good snappy dialogue. This series is very under reported.

-Steve D.

8. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

Accidentally caught the premiere flipping through the wasteland. It's not anything special, but it's not annoying. Luke warm, not hot, not cool.

When I saw that two of my least favorite faces are regulars, my interest in the show dipped sharply. Actually Phillips wasn't so bad here, but Sackhoff was useless. I just don't see her appeal at all. She was one of the reasons I could never stomach Battlestar Galaxative.

I imagine I might like the books just fine. A&E can't cut the mustard anymore, IMO.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm enjoying this show so far--three episodes in.

In a recent interview Sackhoff said she was drawing on her character in 24 for this portrayal--a mole who isn't who she initially seems, with a dark agenda and unseemly ties to foreign operatives.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've been watching it for the last few weeks just because it's filmed here in New Mexico. I've been enjoying it but as usual the books are better.

11. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Good program. Kind of interesting to see "urban" crime topics portrayed in Wyoming. So far, I am enjoying it.

12. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I think the show is fairly far fetched, but it is quite enjoyable to watch and the characters grow on you.

13. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

A fried of mine recommended this to me. I hadn't even heard of it until he mentioned the show. Sounds like a very intriguing premise. I'll have to check out the show.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Watch it for the characters, not the fairy rote stories. The characters are interesting.

Some of the issues related to Native Americans are kind of interesting, too.

15. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

But it is interesting to me to see how they weave these fairly rote stories into the very rural Wyoming setting. It is also interesting how they take the racial elements of the urban setting and transfer them to the Native American and reservation.

The main characters are interesting indeed.

16. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

can't wait for the second season!

RickH likes this.
  17. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I've read the books and they have a different tone that the show does, but I still enjoy it. Lou Diamond Phillips is really good.

groundharp likes this.
  18. I enjoyed catching up with the show. Robert Taylor the star is from down under. I seem to remember him being in something...maybe The Matrix?

19. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

A few months back I watched the first season from iTunes. I enjoyed it. It's a somewhat casual paced crime drama, very low key but that works for me. The locations help a lot. Robert Taylor is very good on there.

20. ssmith3046

Watched the first episode of season two last night and enjoyed it.

21. The show continues to improve in the writing department. The pilot was predictable but worked so well because of the strong character development , casting and direction.

The second season started stronger than the first for me.

22. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

I'm diggin' this show. The 2nd season started very strongly. I was wondering about the lead actor, why I didn't recognize him........Aussie.
    It's really become a trend for foreign actors to adopt an accent to play American roles in TV series................sounds like it would make a good thread topic on it's own. Or is it already?

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm wondering if Starbuck is going to turn out to be a mole working for the bad guys?

24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

The cast (with the lone exception of Lou Diamond Phillips) of the TV series came to Buffalo, Wyoming on Saturday for 'Longmire Days'. The sleepy picturesque town was absolutely packed with fans. It was a fun day, not something you see around here.

My photo gallery:
    http://trib.com/news/gallery-longmi...n_2005a08a-0782-11e3-8d79-001a4bcf887a.html#0
    Story by my colleague Ben Storrow:
    http://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...cle_69e0ab7b-3d66-5252-8d39-0f25695d1c72.html

The actors were very nice and seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves. I haven't had a chance to watch the show yet, but I really get a kick out of Rainier Beer's clever marketing here. :righton:

dan c

ex_mixer likes this.
  25. ssmith3046

Looks like a good time and that the cast was enjoying themselves too. Many years ago I worked as a drilling mud engineer in the west and lived and worked all over Wyoming. I always enjoyed the Sheridan and Buffalo area. Check out the show sometime. Las Vegas NM now subs for Wyoming.

Dan C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.