New A/V Receiver Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jriems, Nov 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan Thread Starter

My ancient Kenwood A/V receiver is finally giving out, and I need some recommendations on what to replace it with.

My goal is to get a reasonably priced receiver that has good sound quality, and most if not all of the "future-proofing" accoutrements (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, inputs/outputs, decoders, etc.).

I'm considering both new and used recent models, and looking to spend under $500. Go!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  2. sm31

sm31 Active Member

I think one question you'll need to settle on the future-proofing front is what speaker configurations you want to be be able to support. There are, for example, are well-reviewed Sony and Denon receivers in that price range (and you can get a discount if you buy open box), but they won't support 5.1.4 Atmos. But that may not matter to you.

jriems likes this.
  3. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Jeff, I have been doing some searching myself recently because my Onkyo display doesn’t work anymore and I need front speaker preouts to pair with my Cambridge Integrated Amp. I am intrigued by the Marantz NR1608, on sale at Crutchfield for $499 (because there is a newer NR1609 for $749). HDR10, dolby vision, 4kupscaling, HEOS, all the connections you could possibly want. It is only 50 watts per channel so that is the only drawback I can see so far. It is one of their slimline models, looks nice. What I would do with this is run the front preouts to the Int amp so I could listen to music in 2 channel and use the same fronts for 5.1 surround for movies.

jriems likes this.
  4. jriems

Well, I don't think Atmos is going to be a future consideration for me. I'm pretty satisfied with a good-sounding 5.1 system, and doubt my better half is going to be on board with that kind of expansion.

That said, have any suggestions on models?

5. jriems

Dan, thanks for the recommendation. The NR1608 sounds like a very good fit for my needs. I just read all the reviews at Crutchfield, and it seems to have very little downside. It's at the top of my price limit, but as you said, it's heavily discounted so that's a big plus.

Let me know if you pull the trigger, and if you do, what you think of it.

Dan Steele likes this.
  6. jriems

Sunday bump for recommendations ?

7. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

None that will make you happy. I'm the owner of an aging Denon 4308ci receiver. It's been with me since 2007 and I've been thinking of replacing it so I was looking at what's new at Denon and I didn't like what I found: featuritis, meh 2 channels performances, lack of perceived quality/workmanship, less than exciting presentation.

In short I got the feeling that Denon AVRs have been relegated to feature loaded commodities, that sells for cheap, feels cheap and the only reason to buy a new unit is if the one you have at home went tits up.

First, there is no such thing as "future proof" because new formats or standards are pushed on a seasonal basis. Then there is the feeling that the basic is lacking, meaning that the amplification isn't as good or well rounded as what could be expected from such feature loaded receivers. For example, the 4308ci I have is hooked to a 5.1 speaker setup and I'm not going to add any new speakers anytime. Do the new models sounds better than? Well....maybe, perhaps, yes or no. They left me mostly underwhelmed to be honest. Is the room correction much better than what I have? Well...maybe, perhaps...I really don't know.

I was left a bit bummed. Perhaps my expectations were too high or perhaps I've outgrown what a typical AVR can offer.

jriems likes this.
  8. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

I am so glad you posted this because I was ready to pull the trigger due to pricing and size(which is a necessity). However after seeing this and looking into things further, it is indeed correct that it will not work for dvd-a and sacd multi channel playback. Completely bummed because I do not have room for the large tanks. I have so much 5.1 surround sound material, but it just sits on the shelf...open for any suggestions at all!

jriems likes this.
  9. jriems

Yeah, I've given up on multi-channel DVD-A and SACD in my main system. I just don't listen to my collection of multi-channel stuff enough to warrant the added expense and trouble of finding a unit with analog multi-channel support.

Sad, but not critical for me.

Dan Steele likes this.
  10. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I am currently utilizing an ONKYO TX SR-605 in my video system, and am quite happy, though my needs are not demanding. I only use 2-channel, not any surround setups because my space is quite limited.

I scored it used for about $75 + shipping including the remote on ebay from a quality seller. Has numerous surround configurations, HDMI input/output interfaces, and several analog inputs and tape loops. Does not include a PHONO section, however. I also own a similar model, the TX SR-705, which does add a PHONO input. I keep the 705 unit in reserve as a spare as these are so inexpensive. Power specs are similar (100 RMS / Channel 8 ohm, but not much headroom).

I owned a YAMAHA HT receiver (approx. $400 + tax) for over 20 years that, about 2 yrs ago, started shutting off intermittently without warning. (Buggy protection circuit?). Since, my mode of operation is to search ether EBAY or SHF Classifieds for used units that don't deliver cutting-edge tech.

I'd rather not invest $hundreds in new when gently used will do......

Best wishes,

GT

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    jriems likes this.
  11. sm31

sm31 Active Member

The Sony STR-DN 1080 or the Denon AVR-x3400h (or x2400h)?

jriems likes this.
  12. jriems

Tom, that's similar to what's happening to my ancient Kenwood VR-407. It clicks intermittently with no apparent issue, then it will click and stop producing sound. If I tap on the top of the unit a few times, the sound returns. This is actually my 2nd unit of the VR-407 that I bought used on eBay a few years ago. My original had the same problem, but eventually the sound went out for good.

I replaced it with an identical used unit because I am so familiar with it, and have it programmed into my Harmony universal remote. I was too lazy to upgrade to a better receiver at the time, so just replaced with same and went about my business.

Enough time has gone by now, though, that I want something with more current ins/outs, audio decoding, wi-fi/wireless, bluetooth, room sound correction, etc.

13. jriems

Can anyone else weigh in on what A/V receiver you're using and why you like, dislike, love or hate it? Also, if you were in the market for something in the $500 range, what would you want for yourself?

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

How about digital multichannel support over HDMI? Does your Pioneer output that? And then get a receiver with PCM/DSD over HDMI? Seems like you are at a good junction to fix this. There must be units out there with multichannel in (a Crutchfield search shows $899+ on sale, but used should be possible). Or change the disc player, daunting perhaps but then you could listen/watch Blu-ray or UHD.

For me, when someone asks about receivers and future-proofing, I ask "how are you connecting the VIDEO"? Because if like me and a buddy, you connect straight to the display* then you don't have to care about a lot of stuff that drives up the price. If you don't care about 7/9/13 channels, those also drive up the price. Bluetooth-don't care. I run Apple Music, so thinking about getting a newer receiver with Airplay built in (or Airplay 2 for multi-room but I'm guessing you don't care about that). Not sure if any units let you stream Tidal/Spotify directly, that could be quite nice.

If you want more advanced flavors of room correction, the upper tiers of Audyssey inevitably come in the larger models. If you get a unit compatible with the Audyssey app, you can choose to EQ just the bass or the whole range. Audyssey and Dirac's time-based corrections are more sophisticated than the other folks' parametric-EQ based systems.. For me, the big tell was running a low frequency sweep and hearing the volume swell up and down with peaks and dips in the response. After running the Audyssey setup, the volume didn't swell up and down nearly as much. Since you have a sub, definitely consider this.

Receivers seem to be bad out of the box or last a long time, so closeouts or even several-year-old models on Craigslist can be a good value.

*(which is somewhat better for the audio anyway, as HDMI has been shown in some tests to corrupt the audio at low levels...whether that applies to ARC is a good question...).

Gramps Tom and jriems like this.
  15. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I have what was the top of the line Marantz 9.2 receiver I purchased 3 yrs ago which is a stellar performer IMO. Outside your budget but I have also read good things about the less expensive Marantz HT receivers.

William K, Gramps Tom and jriems like this.
  16. jriems

What model is yours, if you don't mind?

17. jriems

Thank you for the response. The Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi only does multichannel via analog, unfortunately. Also, it's in my headphone rig, not in my main rig. It's really not a huge deal to not have the multichannel ability for SACD/DVD-A. I do most of my dedicated music listening on the headphone system anyway, so my main desire is for video-related audio first, music second - although I want the receiver to sound as pleasing musically as possible for audio streaming, concert videos, and such.

The Marantz NR1608 mentioned up-thread does have the Audyssey room correction you mentioned. I am intrigued to see what that can do to even out built-in issues (right rear corner of the room has a door that's always open; left front corner of the room has an angled, arched opening about the width of a double-door to go into the dining room) - stuff like that which can't be physically corrected.

18. jriems

Speaking of the Marantz NR1608, I just realized it's almost 16" deep which overshoots the depth of my TV cabinet by almost 2 inches. :rolleyes: The cubby it would be sitting in is actually a shelf on a glide so whatever component is on it can be pulled out about 12" for extra access. I'll have to convince my wife that a component sticking out an inch or two from the face of the cabinet is no big deal. Fortunately, the cubby is floor-level, so it wouldn't be super noticeable. I have no other place to put the receiver, unfortunately.

19. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

This is the model I bought several years ago. It does not have ATMOS but had all the features I needed as I wanted to set up a 9.2 system at the time. You most likely can get these used for considerably less now as they are 3 years (?) old I believe.

Marantz US | SR7008

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  20. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’ve had good luck with Yamaha A/V receivers over the years. The latest is the RX-A760 that’s 18 months old, which I’m happy with.

The Musiccast app is functional and has Tidal built in. It is also AirPlay compatable though I haven’t connected it yet.

The cost at that time was $650 so I’m sure it’s come down.

Also, as an FYI, Accessories4Less carries Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha. There is plenty of feedback about them elsewhere on SHF, but they’re worth looking into. They are an official outlet for refurbs. I’ve not purchased from them myself, but more as a function of timing.

jfbar167 likes this.
  21. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

I use a Marantz SR7009 9.1 HT receiver. It was totl in late 2014, early 2015 and includes all of the bells and whistles. It connects to the internet via ethernet and wifi, and includes a BT antenna. The DAC is DSD capable. The receiver includes Audessy room correction. I purchased it because it could run 3 zones simultaneously and contains an app controlled media streamer. I run 5.1 for HT in my family room. Zone 2 is 2ch audio in the kitchen, Zone3 is 2ch audio in the dining room. Sound is excellent, and video switching does not downgrade video quality in any way I can determine- I see NO difference between direct feed to my TV and switched through the Marantz. Media streamer is very useful. I connect via ethernet to my NAS drive, and via wifi to the internet for web radio etc.

Used price is right around $500.

The SR6009 was the model just below the 7009. It has less power and (I think) less advanced features. It is available for about $400 used.
    The SR6010 is the next generation of the 6009 (and a generation ahead of the 7009), so it is slightly more advanced. It is available for about $500 used.

Denon and Marantz have the same parent, and many of their HT components are the same basic design, customized with a different appearance and features. Denon models are generally a bit cheaper compared to a similar Marantz model with the same basic feature set and power. You should be able to find Denon models similar to the Marantz models I mentioned, and I would expect them to be a bit cheaper in the used market.

Accessories4less.com Is an authorized reseller for factory reconditioned and "B" stock equipment from several brands. The have a wide choice of HT receivers (and other components).

Home Theater Receivers | Accessories4less

Good luck !

William K, RiRiIII and jriems like this.
  22. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Forum Resident

A few years back a sudden need for a Receiver started me searching. I listen to vinyl but needed something family friendly for gaming and movies. I settled on the Yamaha RX-V473 and have been happy ever since. I got it for a sale price of $320. I remember also liking the value of some of the Onkyo models as well. I think you would be happy with either Brand.

Good luck.

Kristofa and jriems like this.
  23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I had my Emotive processor go out on me a few years ago. It was currently of production so I bought a used four year old Marantz receiver that was about a $900 receiver for 1/3 third the retail price that it was when new. I paid less than $300, for it, plus shipping, which was reasonable.

When it comes to any of the mass marketed receiver's, it doesn't matter which ones, the big box stores sell so many nationally each year that they are all over the used market and you can expect to buy one that is around four years old for only about a third of what it cost when it was new.

This receiver arrived as advertised, it looked like it was just taken out of a showroom , put back in its box and brought home. This unit was in pristine condition with everything that it had when new.

I am not a big AV receiver fan, but this AV receiver had every feature (except Dolby Atmos), which I was not interested in either. The user manual looked like a phone book. It was the largest user manual for a piece of stereo gear that I have ever owned. This thing sounded excellent and did everything that it was supposed to do.

I did end up removing it from the system, because my system is set up to use a processor, so as soon as another one like I had became available on eBay, I bought a replacement processor.

While a processor is designed to feed into the system as a source, An AV receiver is designed to be the final piece of gear in the food chain. I did end up gifting to a long time friend, along with a complete set of Polk 5.1 surround sound speaker's that I had lying around. Together, it was a perfect HT system.

My advise to you is to check out eBay, find a model AV receiver that would work for your needs. Don't over pay for one, you don't have to. There are people out there that are selling their perfectly good AVR's because they want to update to a receiver that has some new feature, like "Dolby Atmos".

Find some modern AVR's and look up some review's for them and check the review date to see how old the model is.

These large companies are always coming out with newer models with some "new" feature every year or so. So there are always reviews on almost every new model as soon as it comes on the market.

You can get a nice modern receiver for somewhere in the $300 range and it will last you a decade or more.

Used AVR's are one of the best buys in audio today.

jriems, Blank Slate and classicrocker like this.
  24. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

I'll chirp in with a rec: don't skimp on power, if possible. If a unit has 50 wpc, is that 50 watts in 5.1 mode, or is that 50 watts in 2.0 mode? If it's 50 wpc in 5.1 mode, that should work fine, but if it's 50 wpc in 2.0 mode, that could very well be under-powered in 5.1 mode.

I've got a Denon AVR from 2017, S530BT, which is ok, but when it's time to replace it, I'll be looking for more power.

Most of the best reviews and feedback that I've read / heard revolve around Denon, Yamaha and Marantz AVR's. I've got an Onkyo AVR sitting in the closet, since its HDMI board crapped out ( a well-known failure for them), so I won't go down their road again.

Good luck with your search, and as others have said, consider your speaker set up as the primary consideration.

jriems likes this.
  25. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Cut out a hole in cabinet backside? Is it fiberboard?

jriems likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.