New Acoustic Sounds catalog - MFSL one-step Simon & Garfunkel and SRV

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pinknik, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Just got this today. Looks like Bridge Over Troubled Water will be Mofi’s next one-step box set, followed at some point by Stevie Ray Vaughan’s Texas Flood.

I’ve got the Classic Bridge, not sure if I’ll spring for this, but it is a little closer to the type of title I might consider. What say you? Discuss.

RiRiIII likes this.
  2. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I would grab Texas Flood in a heartbeat given how badly the original is. I have not heard the Acoustic Sounds releases .... I think one step could be a real revelation. mmmmmm

3. Pinknik

I believe the Analog Productions SRV titles are well regarded, but I don’t have any either.

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Did you hear we landed on the moon? Old news. Try a search!
    :wave:

Myke likes this.
  5. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Thanks... meant Analog productions.... I've been meaning to purchase the Crossfire boxset for a while now.

6. Pinknik

I did a search. Turned up nothing.

DavidD likes this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

8. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Forum Resident

I received the music direct catalog today and they do list Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Water and Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood as Ultradisc One-Step upcoming releases from MoFi. They also listed Simon and Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme as 180g LP or SACD formats, good news.

Matt Starr, Jarleboy and art like this.
  9. Pinknik

10. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Their social media also had the gold box indicating a forthcoming 2018 One Step pressing for Bill Evans Portrait in Jazz.

Matt Starr likes this.
  11. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Nice! A regular 180g MoFi release of Simon & Garfunkel PSR&T is very good news. I love that record and with the job they've been doing lately, I can only imagine it will sound great and be a nice addition / alternative listen to an original 2 eye.

12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have the AP 45 RPM vinyl of Texas Flood, CSTW, and STS, and paid $48 per on them and they sound FANTASTIC! They is NO way the MoFi Ultradiscs that will run twice as much will better these by that kind of a price increase IMO. The AP versions are simply incredible! I mean is a rainbow going to appear when you play these, leaving you a pot of gold next to your Sub???

I find this crazy that MoFi is picking SRV when there are so many other great albums that would be nice to see. If the AP titles were not already available, then yes, I would have been interested in these versions.

I am not critiquing the MoFi Ultra Discs, but this make no sense.

Sam and Pinknik like this.
  13. MoFi certainly praise BOTW's sonics:

Not for nothing is Bridge over Troubled Water one of the finest-sounding albums ever made.

Having owned one version or another of that album since the first week of its vinyl release, I must admit I'm puzzled by the notion that it's an audio masterpiece. In particular, the title track is a mess, with a terribly-recorded orchestra building up to one of the most distorted final chords I've ever heard (it must have gone at least 10 dB "into the red"). Seriously, the first time I played the record, and it hit the ending of the first track, my parents (normally S&G fans) exclaimed "that sounds horrible." I couldn't disagree. At the time, I thought it might have been a problem exacerbated by a poor pressing, off-center vinyl, or the like, and, later, hoped CD versions would clean it up. But nothing from the Mastersound SBM release to the 24/192 FLAC does much to improve it, and I really can't help but conclude that it's on the master tapes.

As to the SQ of the rest of the album, it has its moments, but strikes me as quite inconsistent. Maybe those who hold it in high esteem do so because it's "interesting" (with the huge varietiy of styles and instrumentation) rather than being a particularly excellent job of recording? In other words, that it might be outstanding in production, but not in engineering?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    feinstei9415 and Tommyboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.